Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Dishwasher?

Hybrid View

Default Dishwasher?

I was wondering if a normal at home dishwasher is enough to get rid of sv or not? my mom has had what seems to be the sv and I am scared to eat off of our dishes even if they are "clean" because I am not sure if something she ate or not was in that load and if it would be clean or just spread it throughout the entire load of dishes?

Default Re: Dishwasher?

The water is VERY hot in most dishwashers, hot enough to kill anything. I can't unload my dishwasher until at least a half an hour after it finishes because everything is too hot. Regardless of the heat, the soap and water is the best way to clean our hands, and the dishwasher has soap and water. I would NOT let her unload it though (I'm sure that she is very careful about hygiene, and even if she did unload them, nothing bad would happen, but if you put the dishes away then it would be extra safe)

Even if it was cold water the friction of the water on the plates would rinse any viruses off. Just dont' let her unload them unless you know she washes her hands well after the bathroom.

On the basis that 20 seconds of washing with soap and warm water is enough to wash away stomach viruses from your hands then i would say a dishwasher would definitely get rid of any particles on anything. I'm sure they say its fine to use dishwashers to sterilise jars for jam making etc too so i think they kill pretty much anything!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks everyone! That helps alot, now I just need to make sure she doesn't unload them! Merry Christmas!!