Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default going to university

hi my name's jess and i didn't really know where to post this so i hope here is ok.

anyway, i'm seventeen and i a couple of months i'm going to be moving out of home for the first time and going to university (i'm australian btw). anyway i am so excited about going to uni but i'm starting to stress about how it might affect my emetophobia. i've never suffered as badly as many people here (i love to eat lol, i don't do the compulsive washing/cleaning thing etc - kind of the opposite lol) but it's still something that has always just been there throughout my life. mostly i've managed to avoid it, but at times my panic attacks have been embarrassing.

but anyway. my main worry is about next year, living with a bunch of people i don't know, but also that i want to be able to do all the normal university things - go to clubs, parties, drink, befriend roomies etc - and not be held back by this stupid problem.

so i was wondering if anyone who's been through this themselves has any advice or tips about how to handle it?

thanks <3

Default Re: going to university

ah! sorry, i didn't realise there was already a post like this in this forum. and i can't work out how to edit my first post either >.> sorry about that.

Just to reassure you on here, I haven't moved away to go to uni, but I went, and I spend a lot of time away from home with friends. Sometimes, you're just too distracted to think about it, sometimes you need some reassurance. If possible, do what I did, when you go out with your friends, ask them to be careful about how much they drink, or what they eat, and as a trade off, offer to leave a little earlier so they can go wild after you're gone. If you're not comfortable doing this, make sure you have a couple of alternate ways to get home so you can escape.

By the way, you sound almost exactly the same as me. I don't compulsively wash my hands and I'm really messy, and I really really love food!!

What are you studying at uni, by the way?

Heading to university its interesting but hard process. You can ensure success by preparing essential documents. Check out https://www.lorservice.com/discover-...mmigration-uk/ for valuable tips on enhancing your chances of admission. Good luck to everyone.
    Last edited by Robbie A Carlson; 12-21-2023 at 11:43 AM.