Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New, but so happy to find you!

Hi!
    My name is Claire, I live in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. I'm so excited to find this site. I have been dealing with this phobia since I was 3 (that I can remember), the information on here has almost brought me to tears. No longer am I alone, no longer am I the girl that is just looking for attention or over-reacting! I have spent years in therapy + on medication for anxiety, but no therapist has ever addressed my phobia. Any thoughts on how to seek help in my community? I've come a long way from when I was a teenager, but there is so much more I'd like to do. I don't want to live my life with 'avoidance' + 'restrictions'.

Default Re: New, but so happy to find you!

Hi ! I'm fairly new too and live VERY close to you too I too am extremely happy to have found this website and now that I see where you are from it almost makes it that much better in some weird way lol It seems as though this is the best place to vent you worries or fears and frustrations because everyone will actually listen and understand. I know in my own life I have one or two people that ...maybe don't "understand" per say but will listen without judgement , and my husband is not one of them. I also have 2 small kids and am extremely bust which makes being emet SO hard most days. Anyway, just wanted to say hi cuz I noticed where you were from! Welcome!

Default Re: New, but so happy to find you!

Hey! Welcome! I hope you find the comfort and reassurance here that I have!

As for addressing your phobia in therapy, have you talked to your therapist? Do you have one? What kind of therapies have you tried? There are many ways to treat anxiety, as Sage will tell you. CBT seems to be a popular one, there are many stories in the 'Treatments' forum so you can see what happens in CBT. Hypnotherapy is another that people seem to like! Perhaps your issue lies in finding the right kind of treatment for you, if you haven't yet. :-)