Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question so what the hell does this even mean ??

what is so bad about touching your face? i've read a few posts where people say dont touch your face. i meen the way i see it as long as your hands dont go in your mouth your face shouldnt matter. its got me worried because i took the dog for a walk and of course she always takes a crap right next to the busy road on someones lawn, and trying to collect it all in the bag, i got some on my thumb. (yuck) and wiped it on the grass and kept going. although i was listening to my ipod and had to hold it with that hand so my ipod is contaminated. got home washed my hands straight away, then my friend came over, but i picked up my gross ipod again to take it with me to her house and i always touch my face somehow. and i rubbed my nose and got close to my lips and leant my hand on my face a couple of times. and then...(this is gross again), while i was leaning on the ground to get the doggy doo before, i didnt realise i got a bit on my pants. who knows how many times i touched my legs without knowing it, then of course my face. but i am careful about not putting my hands in my mouth but i do touch my face a lot. so can someone tell me what that has to do with catching sv* or getting sick.
    Last edited by emmalinda; 12-27-2010 at 04:58 AM.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Default Re: so what the hell does this even mean ??

I have always stuck to the rule of not putting unwashed hands in my mouth/lips/nose/eyes. I'll scratch my cheek, or the top of my nose, or forehead without worry (and have never become sick), but I stay away from anywhere that may become moist and "pick up" the germs that my hand "put down". I think that the people who say "don't touch your face" are just saying that as a general way to say don't touch your lips/mouth/nose/eyes.
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

but your eyes and nose shouldnt be a big worry as well. as long as you dont put your hands in your mouth it shouldnt matter.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

I read if the germs somehow get inside your nose, and perhaps your eyes, you can still become sick that way. That's why I try to avoid touching my face in general - if I have an itchy nose or something, I will scratch it with the back of my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by emmalinda View Post
    but your eyes and nose shouldnt be a big worry as well. as long as you dont put your hands in your mouth it shouldnt matter.
    Eyes shouldn't be a huge concern... the chances of catching a sv* from your eyes is slim. However, the nose connects to your throat, and therefore goes to your stomach. So, if you have a runny nose with post nasal drip, and you get those sv* germs into your nose, there's potential they may slide back and down your throat and get you sick.
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Emmalinda, you can touch your face all you want now! You already had your sv* this year so you'll be okay for a while now. You can't recatch it dont worry.

you know whats funny. i know i've had my sv already and now im preapring myself for next years, but next year is 3 days away!! so i thinkk between now and next week sometime it could happen again. i have a funny mind. and there are many different strains of norovirus. my borther got 2 viruses both 1 month apart. thats prob what makes me so worried it could happen again. and the rubbing of your nose makes sense now! i never thought you could catch and sv by rubbing your nose!

When I walk my dog I carry wet wipes and antibacterial gel, so if that does happen to me I can get myself pretty clean. Obviously I wash my hands once I get home, but I don't have to worry about contaminating stuff in the meantime.

My nervous habit it touching my face. I hate it because that causes me to be more nervous. lol
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

@crdo8 I'm sorry, your post made me literally LOL because I can completely understand that, touching my face because of anxiety but only getting more anxiety because of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqueline3 View Post
    @crdo8 I'm sorry, your post made me literally LOL because I can completely understand that, touching my face because of anxiety but only getting more anxiety because of it!
    Yay, I'm not alone! It's a vicious cycle! lol
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”