Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Are you also afraid of the V its self?

Everyone talks a lot about being afraid that they are going to vomit, or that someone else is going to. I am terrified of that too, but I am also very afraid of the actual vomit its self. I recognize that it is not going to hurt me, that walking by it wont make me sick, but that isn't what I am afraid of. It is there and it will ruin everything, and it will make things unusable. It doesn't matter if they were drunk, or even if the shoved a finger down their throat, IT is there, irrevocably "contaminating" the area (not in a strictly infection-related way). I can't explain it any better than that.

I'd rather be sick in public, or at a stranger's house than at my own house, which I know is the opposite of how other people feel . If it is at someone else's house, or in public, then IT is not in my house. I can leave it there and it will not ruin my house.

Does anyone else fear the actual substance and not just the act of vomiting?

Default Re: Are you also afraid of the V its self?

Personally, no, I'm just afraid of the act of vomiting. But I do get what you mean about how you'd rather be sick in public or at a strangers house... oddly, I'd rather have that happen too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am just afraid of actually doing it myself. If I already don't feel well, though, and someone is sick...it kinda makes me a little queasy, but I deal with it. I don't like things being contaminated either. I get what you're saying...like if a kid got sick at my house...on my bed, say...I'd just throw my comforter away because I'd be afraid the v* would be in my washer...and dryer...and when I washed my other clothes, they'd be covered. Pretty gross. I would MUCH rather be at home by myself, though. I don't want to be bothered. I can't imagine being sick in public b/c I'm always afraid others will look at ME and my v* the way I see theirs. I don't think the PEOPLE are gross...I just always for some reason look at them a different way (not necessarily in a bad way...just a more vulnerable one)...and I think their v* is disgusting (who doesn't?!). The thought of being sick in front of others is absolutely terrifying for me. I would be sooo embarrassed...but I totally get what you mean about the contamination thing.
    Jennifer

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it! Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised IT WOULD BE WORTH IT!"

My Emet Vlog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know exactly what you mean. I am OK with myself being sick at home, because I know I won't get it anywhere but the toilet. But my boyfriend does not have the same level of self control and 'contaminates' the bathroom, and I don't feel safe in my own house. Like you said, it's nothing to do with germs, for me it's more about the smell and grossness, no matter how well you clean, in my mind it is irrevocably linked with sick, I can't look at it without remembering. After the last time my boyfriend was ill at home I had to redecorate the bathroom! If it was anybody else, I would throw them out the house and they would never be allowed back in the house.

I'm totally the same! I feel like it is the v* I'm afraid of. And if I v* somewhere else, I won't have the superstitions and worrying about laying in bed at home or something...
    Susie

I'm glad I'm not the only one! When I feel sick, I'm only partly scared that I'll throw up. I'm almost more worried that I'll ruin something that I love, like my laptop, or one of the quilts I've made. If I'm out then I worry that I'll get it on my clothes and not be able to change, although I have avoided the temptation of carrying spare clothes in the car. I want to be far away from things or people that I care about when I really feel sick. Well, I want people with me, but not *near* me, maybe 6ft away. One of my favorite distractions is the hidden object game on my computer, but it is on my computer, which I can't be near when I am that freaked out. It works wonders for those days when I'm needlessly anxious all day long.

I think that a lot of my fear of the act would go away if I was not so afraid of the substance that the act creates. I have no problem having dry heaves. They freak me out because I'm worried that they are only a warm-up act, but if I knew that I would have dry heaves but nothing would actually come up, I'd be fine. They are basically vomiting, just without the substance. I guess that explains it a little better than I did the other day.

I know what you mean, but "it" is currently in your belly right now before your colon yurns it into poop so do you feel contaminated?

I don't like things that are nasty but I have no excessive aversion to the actual vomited material. It's just the thought that I might engage in the ACT OF vomiting - that is what I don't like.

Once it's cleaned up it's gone and I don't give it a second thought?

Mooki- that is gross and not very helpful! In my case, I can't see it or smell it (And haven't ever seen or smelt it in there) so it's OK. But now you've got me thinking aboit it and I suddenly lost my appetite. Thanks.

This is interesting. I was just about to make the same question here.
    For me personally no, it's always just been digested food to me, unless there is some noro going on. It's gross of course, but not really frightening itself. It's the whole circus around the sickness feeling that has given me the shivers.

Maybe this is a fourth emetophobia category?

To your support Rebecka85, like Gaby with the jars, sounds natural to me to fear it. Most people feel sick when they see gross things, feel bad smell, taste rotten food etc. Our brains simply tells us to avoid it. It's a good thing, but activating the sickness feeling is frightening to us.

Maybe we all have different sickness teasing levels?
    Finally understood that winter really is wonderful...

Quote Originally Posted by mooki View Post
    I know what you mean, but "it" is currently in your belly right now before your colon yurns it into poop so do you feel contaminated?
    But it has not been vomited, so it is okay. I know, stupid distinctions. I LOVE CSI, use it as exposure therapy. They commonly examine stomach contents. Doc Robers will take out a stomach and squeeze the contents into a jar. That doesn't bother me. I don't mind seeing it, it is just another piece of evidence for Greg or Nick to examine. BUT if someone throws up, that I could never stand (I'm getting better. As long as it isn't an episode all about people throwing up, and I'm not already anxious for other reasons, I'm good). There is literally NO difference between the two, but one doesn't bother me and I HATE the other.

I fear IT also. I fear the person who has done IT and think I have to stay away from them even though I know they arent still sick. I dont like useing a toilet if I know someone has been sick it in. I'm just scared of it intirely though. I'm scared I'm going to be sick. I'm scared someone else will be sick. And I'm scared of IT too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca85 View Post
    Mooki- that is gross and not very helpful! In my case, I can't see it or smell it (And haven't ever seen or smelt it in there) so it's OK. But now you've got me thinking aboit it and I suddenly lost my appetite. Thanks.
    Think about it my way. When I think about "stuff" inside my belly (or anyone's for that matter) I focus on the good. It's not about what it might smell like or look like. It's about the feeling. I think about how fortunate I am / they are to have enough food. I also think about how nice it feels to be full and satisfied.

Peace,
    David

I am never quite sure if I fear the substance because it's associated with the act, (as in when I see the substance it reminds me of hearing and seeing people v) or whether I fear the act because it creates the substance (which lets face it, it's gross and while the act is over in seconds, the stuff hangs around and requires someone to clean it). Maybe if I could answer that question it'd be a huge step forward in conquering this phobia?

I can`t stand anything about vting, it`s not only gross, but it`s the loss of control, & the thought of doing it & shaming myself in front of other people. When someone else vts, or even says that they`ve vted, I can`t look at them in quite the same way, even if it`s a character on a movie or tv show, I think of them as weak, or vunerable. I don`t want other people to see me like that, so I`m sure that I`d rather die than do the deed in public.

i would too hate too do it in public! i hate to do it non stop and would rather be outside in an openspace where i can easily walk away from my own sick! but i hate the reflex and the noises people make and the appearance of IT. i keep telling myself that its just mushed up food but it will never change from being IT.

I think I find all facets of v*ting digusting. Getting sick truly defines the experience. The psychological effect of nausea that comes in waves, heaving, gagging, and expelling. It is really a very violent process. The school nurse explained that you are using so many muscles when you throw-up. The taste, smell, appearance. It's all gross! I am emetophobic, yet I know that when I feel that I'm at my point of no return, I will get sick. I think knowing that causes me to worry and have anxiety. I'm trying to work through it because I have Crohn's Disease and it is one of the symptoms of a flare-up.

Yep..I am terrified of it!! My home is my safe haven.. then when it INVADES!! HELP!!
    It is one of the worst feelings in the world..knowing V* is in your house!!

I hate the v* itself, I hate hearing or seeing it happen. I hate EVERYTHING about it. I would rather see death or people get chopped up than see or experience v*!!

My boyfriend was sick the other night..thank Goodness he made it to the bathroom each time!!
    I just pray so hard that I dont have to go through anything like this for a VERY long time.

i agree ren2005! V* is like a monster in you house, even though it would never come alive, it's still there :/ If one of my sisters gets sick, i won't go in the same room for weeks and I won't use the toilet she did. Does this phobia lead to anxiety depression or things like that? Because i have frequent panic attacks and I scream till my throat is sore if I see someone V* who is near.

Phobias are a form of anxiety. They're a manifestation of anxiety. I don't think the phobia or the anxiety causes depression, but they often go hand in hand. I'm the same as you though, if someone near me (even a pet) is going to be ill, or even if I just THINK they might be ill, I can't help but scream until I can get away. Yesterday my dog got desexed and in the car on the way home, he was looking like he might v* and I just flew into a panic and I still don't have any voice left from screaming so much. Lucky my mum was driving.

You got me thinking Kaydee. I don't mind it so much when a cat or dog v*. I have a hard time when it's a human.

Oh, I haven't seen my puppy in a day and a half just because I think that he still might get sick from the pain drugs he's on. I'm a wreck at the moment. I think it's equally as bad as if it were a person.

I am definitely afraid of "it" too... I am afraid of anything that creates a risk factor for me having to v*. If someone gets sick near me or (God forbid) in my house, it freaks me out to know that the v* was there or that the BUG that caused it is/was there. Like many of you, I consider my house my safe place. I do not want it contaminated in any way, shape or form! Seeing actual v* in person definitely makes me queasy and sends me into a tizzy...it's embarassing really. I used to run out of classrooms during class when other kids got sick. I got in trouble for it too!

I also feel like if I KNEW I was just going to have dry heaves, that I wouldn't fear it as much. One night a few years ago I felt really bad and I actually sat by the toilet, which I almost NEVER do because it makes it "real"... anyway, I had "dry heaves" or maybe it was just me gagging into the toilet...I don't know what the difference is really. But anyway, I was sooo afraid of the actual v* showing it's ugly self - that was what was freaking me out.

I guess my phobia is all encompassing - me v*, someone near me v*, the actual v* itself. The ONLY time I can handle it in the slightest bit is if I've been drinking and someone gets sick from that. But I am still panicking on the inside. I just don't run away as abruptly as I usually would.
    waiting for the end to come...wishing i had strength to stand...
    this is not what i had planned...it's out of my control...

I still think the reason it is hard for most people, even non-emetophobes is it has so many different facets to it: the feeling of nausea before/during, the dry heaving, all the muscles used (it can hurt), the tastes/smell, and of course how it looks. It really is unpleasant. I doubt that there would be as many emetophobes if the v* came out of say, a foot. I know that sounds weird, but the mouth is very personal and sensitive.

If I see someone v*, or if I v* myself, then it bothers me immensely.

But the amount of times I've walked past v* on pavements, it doesn't bother me much, I just think of it as dog sh**, just walk around it and don't touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiGirl View Post
    You got me thinking Kaydee. I don't mind it so much when a cat or dog v*. I have a hard time when it's a human.
    Same here. Several weeks ago I was at my parent's home for the holidays and my dog vomited. I didn't see him do it. My 4 year old niece came in the room and told me that the doggy just threw up. I got some napkins and cleaner and wiped it up myself. I thought it was gross but it didn't bother me all that much. I couldn't do that if it was human vomit. I'd stay far away from it. I've also seen the dog vomit many times and it doesn't bother me really. I feel bad for him but that's about it. Also because it's usually just clumps of grass or something he ate that made him sick. Or it might be this white frothy stuff, but human vomit is probably the grossest of all being all colorful and chunky.