Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: So scared...

My mother is sending me in a few weeks to get an upper GI because of my constant stomach aches. the doctor told me that people have a tendency to v* from those. i am sooo freaked out. my mohter really doesn't understand my fear, she thinks it is irrational and bascially stupid. She also told me that she is going to take me to a phyciatrist so that they can help me get over this and give me medicine. for one thing i'm afraid to take the medicine...i hear that some of that stuff they give you makes you depressed or suicidal( i do not want to be like that) i'm also afraid the medicine will change my personality. the phyciatrist will most likely prescribe a medicine for anxiety, so does anyone that takes a medicine like that notice any personality changes? Also, another thing about going to a phyciatrist, i'm actually afraid to get over this fear. haha i have a fear of getting over fears....great. i'm not sure waht to do, i'm kind of a basket case right now.

Lindsey

Hi. Try to calm down. Relax. As for medicine, I take Paxil (an antidepressant) that works really well. It didn't make me depressed or change my personality. If anything, it helped me a lot. It makes me tired sometimes, but that's about it. You should be ok. If you try something the doctor gives you and it doesn't work, tell him, and he can change it. Take care.

sigh. why do doctors make sucha HUGE deal about a silly little GI exam?

Ive had just about every test done under the sun, and thats one of them. I cant remember if you eat the salty bits or if thats in the small bowel follow through. I had both tests done and was fine. the salty foamy bits make you feel really gassy, (if you are taking them at all) but nothing else. The barium, is REALLY really heavy in your stomach, and feels kind of funny, but not nauseas like at all. more like I ate too many macdonalds fries and pop. It might make you a little constipated and turn your poop white but thatsthe extent of it.

I would say some people think drinking the barium is REALLy gross and maybe thats why the threw up. I;, however, didnt mind it at all. It doesnt taste pleasent, but its nothing that gross to me. a tip though, drink it while its cold! lol.

you'll do fine, I'm sure! let us know how it goes!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I totally understand what you are saying!! I am also scared to get over my fear. It has been something that I have had, consuming my mind for years...some place for me to throw my anxieties on in times of stress. My question is...what do we do when our fear is gone????? Direct our anxiety towards another object?? Very scary thought! Can't live with emet, can't live without it!!! [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Also, I am taking the antidepressant, Paxil. (SSRI) I have been on different kinds in the past, but Paxil works best for me. The meds don't change your personality so to speak,(you will still be you, and do the same things, and same habits) but they help you to be less anxious, and you can think more clearly. Also they keep you from getting depressed. So, I guess, in a sense...they do change your personality, because you are less anxious, and can get through alot more...alot easier.Hope I have helped some! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Charlotte