Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Would you rather be alone or with someone close when you vomit or feel sick?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd rather be COMPLETELY alone...all by my lonesome.

13 50.00%
  • I'd rather have someone close to me on stand-by.

11 42.31%
  • I don't care either way.

2 7.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Alone or Surrounded by Others?

I've noticed we're all very different when we feel ill or vomit. Several people want their moms, husbands, wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, someone...I don't want ANYONE around me... What's your most "comfortable" way being sick?
    Jennifer

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it! Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised IT WOULD BE WORTH IT!"

My Emet Vlog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Alone or Surrounded by Others?

I'm the same as you, i have to be alone, i don't draw any strength from others being around me if i feel sick and am in a flap, i feel much more comfortable pacing about, talking to myself and generally acting weird by myself lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lol, paulinek. Same here. My "weird kinks" don't need to be viewed by anyone else. :-D
    Jennifer

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it! Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised IT WOULD BE WORTH IT!"

My Emet Vlog:

i like to be with my fam, especially by bf

Im the same as paulinek - I prefer to be alone. I tend to pace and act like a crazy person when I really really think Im gonna v*. I hate the thought of someone else witnessing my panic. The pacing, deep breathing, cold flannels, praying to God etc are my private hell and no one close to me should see me at my worse it would be soo embarressing.

I don't really have emet about myself being ill, but when I'm anxious about someone else who's ill, I need my mother with me. She knows exactly what to do.

I can't v in front of anyone except my mum. At least the last time I v'ed in front of anyone else I was probably 5 years old! If I'm panicking about someone else being ill, I like my boyfriend to be there.

i cant be near anyone...well ive never been in that situation. but when i feel nauseas i pace, cry, pinch, pray, shower, drink tea, read my bible, talk to myself...anything to keep my mind off it...I don't need anyone, even my husband seeing how looney tunes i can be...

Being alone scares me even more.
    If i feel like im about to V* i need my mom or my boyfriend. no one else does the trick.

Gotta be alone. I dont want people to see how freakish I can be when I'm like that. Im afraid eventually they will isolate me, make fun of me, and/or not take me seriously in general. People might start looking at me as an invalid or something, and already have started to hint at that, so I keep it to myself all the more when I feel sick.

I HAVE to be alone. Any time I feel even a little bit sick, I must be alone. I don't even want anyone else in the house. If I can't kick them out, I go run outside. If I feel sick and I"m panicing, I want to be able to pace around, get up and sit down over and over, open the window in the middle of winter, scratch or pinch myself, sit in the middle of the floor in my underwear, turn all the lights out, etc. etc......way too crazy to be seen. I feel like if I'm concentrating on hiding my craziness, it just makes me feel way sicker. Also, don't want them to see or hear me actually v*. Just seems embarrassing.

i have to be alone also. if im starting to panic because i think im going to get sick, i start shaking uncontrollably, i dig my nails into my skin, i pinch myself, i make weird noises with my mouth like clicking my tounge and i just move all over the place. if i have to sit still i feel like the feeling will overcome me. i cant concentrate so if someone is talking to me, im aint listening! haha. so its definatly better if i am alone bc i really could come off as crazy. :P

lol. exactly how i am. isn't crazy how vulnerable you feel when you give in to all the little "kinks" you have with the phobia? like the shaking and digging nails into skin? i don't even want my mom or husband there. i feel horrible bc i know neither of them would ever judge me or make fun of me. i just am not comfortable at all. i'm scared to DEATH to have a baby. i can deal with the morning sickness. i can be alone for that. it's the whole being in the delivery room...getting sick in front of strangers...my mom, mom-in-law, and husband i'm scared of. it just freaks me out. if i could GET pregnant, though, i'd gladly throw up in front of anyone as long as i got a baby at the end of the whole thing...
    Jennifer

My Emet Vlog:

I prefer being alone as well! The only excetion is my mom... and thats because she's the only one thats always been around me when i've vomited. If she's not home then i would definitely rather be alone! Too embarassing to have anyone else watching lol

I don't like to be with my friends but I like being with my mom or my brother because they're really comforting (more so my brother,). My friends don't understand therefore it's awkward..

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Definitely my mum. She is so reassuring even though she doesnt understand and I feel like I wouldn't get through it without her.
    Susie

My friends and boyfriend are really, really amazing and supportive and although they don't suffer from anxiety or a phobia they're really great at being there for me and distracting me and talking me down etc. I don't like to be alone really. I find having people around soothing and calming, being alone freaks me out to be honest... I was a wreck when I moved from Vancouver Canada to New York by myself!!

I think deep down, the reason I want to be alone is because if I see someone get sick, I think they're disgusting, and horrible, and stupid, and they need to control themselves and not be so inconsiderate and I will hate them forever after that usually. I don't want people thinking like that about me. Even though, in reality, normal people don't think so badly of people who get sick, they just feel sorry for them and think it's kinda gross, and feel glad it wasn't them and know that they couldn't help it.

I think I would want my husband with me.

I dont like being by anyone, sometimes my mom but thats it, it makes me aggrivated when someone trys to talk to me or hug me when i feel sick. Usually ill just sit in the bathroom for hours.

Alone... 100%. I don't want to be touched, talked to, or even looked at my anyone when I am having an episode. I will go into a room where no one else is or if it's nice out, I'll go for a walk or sit in the woods.

Mommy all the way Calming me down . .
    2010 && 2011 the years I met Gok Wan

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Lets slap Emet in the face. . .

Follow My Blog

Lol, Midnight. Nothin' wrong with havin' your momma with ya!
    Jennifer

My Emet Vlog:

I cant have anyone near me. When I was in labour and was v* I kicked my husband out of the room. If I feel sick at all the first thing I do is go somewhere to be alone.

definitely alone.....i feel if i let others in on my panic i'm giving up control over it.....
    how i feel about emet

Alone ALWAYS !

Me too. Haha. Alison, lol. That is what I'm most worried about! You're the first emet I've talked to that has actually v* during labor. I'm soooo scared about that. What did you do?! Were there nurses or doctors with you? What caused you to v*? The pain or did you have an epidural?? I'm scared to death!
    Jennifer

My Emet Vlog:

I like to be with my mommy. She always manages to calm me right down . Or if I have actually v*ed, she takes amazing care of me.

Alooooone!! If someone is there I will ask them to leave or I will lock myself up in the bathroom making sure there is enough noise in the apartement (TV, radio...) where i can not be heard! I really dont want anyone to witness my crazy antics when i feel nauseous...!

I find this amazing as i personally cannot be alone if im panicing i hate it i get so embaressed but i panic more if im by myself and cannot get on top of the panic.

I wonder if its because when i was young i was left alone when i felt sick as i would get yelled at and it would last hours until i felt better ........