Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Would you rather be alone or with someone close when you vomit or feel sick?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd rather be COMPLETELY alone...all by my lonesome.

13 50.00%
  • I'd rather have someone close to me on stand-by.

11 42.31%
  • I don't care either way.

2 7.69%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Alone or Surrounded by Others?

I would definetly want to be alone! Its way to embarassing for people to witness my little antics like opening windows no matter what time of year or in the middle of the night, or humming weird noises, praying, reading my bible, crying, kicking, pinching, scratching, turning lights on and off, sitting on the floor rocking back and forth and banging on objects. Because I like tottally loose my mind its extremely embarrassing and I would much rather be alone!

I've done quite a few of those things, chocolategirl. It sucks. It really does. But it's what calms us down, ya know?? It is very embarrassing for me as well to let ANYONE around...even my own mom or my husband. I kinda think if it wasn't for the embarrassment factor, I wouldn't be nearly as bad into my emet as I am.
    Jennifer

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it! Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised IT WOULD BE WORTH IT!"

My Emet Vlog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I chose alone. But the best situation is to have my husband in the house, but not near me. I can't stand for anyone to touch me or even talk to me when I'm nauseated and panicing. But I do like to know he is in the house.

When I actually v*'d about a month ago, I was alone in the house. And I did much better than I thought I would. But I did immediately call my husband and ask him to come home. He was just out running errands, so it wasn't like I asked him to leave work or something. But when he got home, I wouldn't let him near me.

I'm like that too. When and IF I do actually v*, I want someone to be there incase it happens again. Not with me. Not anywhere NEAR me. In the other room...with my bedroom door locked and my tv up full blast so I know he can't hear me... but I'm always afraid if I v* once, I'll do it again...and what if it's in the middle of my sleep? I'd want to know someone was there just incase I needed them.
    Jennifer

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it! Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised IT WOULD BE WORTH IT!"

My Emet Vlog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The last time I was sick I was hungover and so sick I couldn't even sit up let alone get to a bathroom. I always thought I wanted to be alone, but it was amazing having my boyfriend there. I was so scared the first time I threw up from it that he actually sat right next to me and held my hand and it was so comforting to have him squeezing my hand through it.

For me I like when my boyfriend is waiting in the other room or outside the door to console me after. He came in and tried to pat my back once, and I was embarrassed, like he was watching me take a dump or something. I know it's not pleasant to smell, see, or hear, so I don't want him to feel like he has to. But I do enjoy the positive attention I get after, it helps me overcome the phobia. He always tells me things like "You did so good! I'm so proud of you. You feel better now, don't you?"

When I'm actually just nauseated, my boyfriend helps a lot too. I don't mind being alone or with others, but he knows how to gently and slowly rub my tummy to make anxiety nausea go away

You may find these links helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek View Post
    I'm the same as you, i have to be alone, i don't draw any strength from others being around me if i feel sick and am in a flap, i feel much more comfortable pacing about, talking to myself and generally acting weird by myself lol
    Ha ha thought i was the only person who paced and jabbered away to myself when i feel sick! Thank god i found this site as it has made me realise that im not alone in my fears.