Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default 12 Step Emetophobia Recovery

If anyone is interested in using the Twelve Steps to recover from emetophobia: http://emetophobiarecovery.aimoo.com/ - Might help and it's free. Shrug.

Default Re: 12 Step Emetophobia Recovery

Oh i love that! Thank you for posting it

You're welcome

thanks for posting but im not into praying to a higher power to make this phobia go away. i believe only meds & therapy will work.

I joined

It's about working a program based on God and His Word, not a higher power, and while certainly prayer does help and is a part of it, it's not just about praying and being healed. Although God can and does do that too. But usually our healing miracle comes through a process instead of instantly. Why? I don't know. Maybe because God is working something in us during the process that couldn't be accomplished if He healed us insantly.

Anyway, the 12 steps are just another option. Good luck and wishing you a full and permanent recovery, whichever road you decide to take.

I'm not trying to start a fight here, but I'm curious how God isn't a higher power.

Regardless, the program can still be super helpful, especially for Christian emets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

lol asianeko! God certainly is a higher power. In fact the term "higher power" was coined by AA, the original "12-step" program to try to widen the scope of AA from just Christian to those who don't necessarily believe in "God" but can accept there is a Cosmic Muffin of some sort....or whatever (now I'm being silly).

This site asked me to be their "resident therapist" which made sense since I've been to seminary and also have a lot of experience with the 12 steps already.

It's a cool place for Christian emets. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for anyone else, even though they say everyone is welcome.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Quote Originally Posted by asianeko View Post
    I'm not trying to start a fight here, but I'm curious how God isn't a higher power.
    Excellent question, thank you for asking it.

I suppose someone who isn't Christian or doesn't believe in God, or is Christian but has never read the Bible might believe that God can be lumped into the generic term of "Higher Power". I attended a group once where this guy carried a rock in his pocket (he saw this in the movie The Secret) that he would rub and get courage and encouragement from... this rock was his Higher Power.

However, the Bible cleary states that there is ONE God and that we are not to have false gods or worship idols. According to the Bible, which I believe is the inspired word of God, the rock this guy was worshipping was an idol, a false god. That's part a) of my answer to your question.

Part b) is this. Sure, everyone has a right to worship and/or believe in whatever they want. Like the guy with the rock. However, for those of us who are followers of Christ and know (not just believe in) the God of the Bible, and according to the Word of God Himself (the Bible), referring to God as a Higher Power is like comparing the president of The Paris Hilton Fan Club with The president of The United States. Sure, they're both presidents, but........................................

I hope that clarifies that there is a very clear distinction between God and a generic Higher Power. You don't have to believe it or agree, but that's why I took exception with referring to God as merely a higher power or lumping God in with the many higher powers that individuals bow down to.

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    lol asianeko! God certainly is a higher power. In fact the term "higher power" was coined by AA, the original "12-step" program to try to widen the scope of AA from just Christian to those who don't necessarily believe in "God" but can accept there is a Cosmic Muffin of some sort....or whatever (now I'm being silly).
    And YOU, not-so-young lady .... I am shocked and appalled at this answer from you. Didn't you say you have been, or were, (not sure which) a christian pastor for some 30 years? The Bible says we are to hold our leaders to a higher standard than everyone else (I'm sure as a pastor you know this) which is why I'm questioning your answer. You, as a pastor, of all people, should know better than the rest of us "mere mortals" that there is only ONE true God, as clearly stated in the Bible. I assume that you, as a pastor, have studied the Bible in much more depth than I or any other lay person, which is why I am shocked that you would say that God is some "higher power".

And by the way, the 12-steps were founded on the Christian Bible, the God of that Bible. They were later watered down to be more politically correct and as a way to encourage everyone to work the program so everyone - christians and non-christians alike - could recover. So yes, like you said, the generic term "Higher Power" was coined by AA when the original steps/program were watered down to include everyone..... which is the exact point I am trying to make. From a Christian perspective, a Higher Power is not God and God is not a Higher Power. God is God. Period. A higher power can be anything. Even a rock.

A Higher Power is a power greater than our own. Doesn't the Christian God fit that description?

Quote Originally Posted by asianeko View Post
    A Higher Power is a power greater than our own. Doesn't the Christian God fit that description?
    One would think so but no, becuase God, as described in the Christian Bible, is THE power. Period.

"A" power implies that there is more than one. So that would make God one of many.
    Last edited by ButterfliesInHerEyes; 01-22-2011 at 10:18 AM.

There is really no dispute here now that I'm looking at things. The comment made was "but I'm not into praying to a higher power," which to me sounds like it is not from a Christian perspective. As such, the Christian God is one of many possible gods to the speaker.

I would really enjoy going back and forth like this in civil manner (as it has been) but I'm worried the topic may bother/offend some readers. The point of our forums is to find common ground with others who share our fears. Otherwise I would love to see a debate forum for this sort of topic

Thanks for pointing that out, BIHE. Yes, I was and still am, an ordained minister in the United Church of Canada - even though I'm officially "retired." We are not a conservative-evangelical or fundamentalist denomination. We believe God is bigger than just our religion, and just our own understanding. We also take the Bible seriously, but not literally.

I'm sure you disagree with that, and I respect your position on it - but I have no desire to take up a religious debate here. If you're into a spirited religious/spiritual debate check out www.wondercafe.ca
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.