Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New, Should i be ashamed?

i love my mother and boyfriend too bits but they see my emet as me being a drama queen. they dont understand. i wish there was a way that they could?
    have you guys got any suggestions?
    i feel ever so alone, i also am the worlds biggest worrier about emet unrelated things too.
    I feel like im broken, half a person.

i feel ashamed.

im so glad i found this website, ive never had neone to talk to.

Default Re: New, Should i be ashamed?

There's no reason for you to be ashamed.
    Your mom and boyfriend aren't being cruel, it's difficult for someone who doesn't have this phobia (or any phobia) to understand how severe and debilitating it is. So of course it appears we're being drama queens/kings.
    Are they willing to become educated about emetophobia? Maybe give them some literature to read... show them this and other emetophobia websites, etc.

for example, im sat on here now...
    and my mom asked me what i was doing as always, i had to lie because i knew she wouldnt understand.

i feel embaressed that i cant control myself.

Hey! It's got nothing to do with "controlling yourself!" And you shouldn't have to lie. You have a phobia. You're on the computer talking to other people who have it and learning more about it. Nothing wrong with that!

I agree you should show your family some literature about emetophobia. On my website there is an article I wrote specifically for families - check it out!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am going through the same thing. In fact, by BF just left not TWO minutes ago after basically declaring that he is "positive" I can be cured of my emet through exposure, but I just refuse to face my fears. he is like "let me make myself v* so you can watch" and no matter how I try to explain that my fear is really of the sv and my son gettting it and giving it to me, he keeps misunderstanding.

I can't even tell my family. they would think I am nuts also and accuse me of being a drama queen. I completely understand! I am lucky to have one very very good friend who lives in CA (across the US from me) who understands and listens to me vent. and I have a mommy board that supports me.

But it is hard. I feel alone. I found this board LAST night and it has helped me immensely in just 24 hours.

I can`t understand why people think emetophbia is funny, silly, or weird, because people are scared of spiders, the dark, & various animals that are completely harmless. I once knew a girl who was terrified of cats, I thought it silly, but I never made fun of her.

people make fun of things they don't understand...it is not right...

I know just how you feel, but so not be ashamed. It is very hard to discus any phobia with people who do not have one because they have trouble understamding. It is great that you have at least admitted this phobia and that they know. Hopefully you can feel safe enough to continue with the honesty and share some info with them.

Also just seeing one person v* is not going to automatically change you. I've found once people learn more of the science and reaserch behhind it all they are more understanding.