Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Anyone tried Hypnotherapy?

I'm trying out Hypnotherapy, as I have exams in jan and want to be able to be relaxed in them, and was wondering if anyone else has tried it, and if so, how did it go? Thanks

Default Re: Anyone tried Hypnotherapy?

I've done hypnotherapy, and I completely swear by it. I took 3 sessions and my emet is almost nonexistant now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the other side. I didn't find it helpful for my emet. I did find that I was more able to relax in general, and my general anxiety wasn't as prominent, but it's come back now. This could have been because I didn't have the right hypnotherapist, but whatever it was, it wasn't for me.

I hope you have good luck with it though!

I am considering taking up hypnotherapy too. I had hypnotherapy once for my fear of needles and had 10 injections this year without even batting an eyelid. So I think there is some hope, but then again, my fear of needles was nowhere near as bad as my phobia of v*.
    Susie

My new years resolution is to try hypnotherapy. All I have to do is call the guy and tell him when I'm available, but every time I get ready to cal I think "No, it is too late tonight," or "I don't know if he'd want to hear from me on a weekend about work stuff." Then, when it isn't too late or isn't a weekend, I convince myself that I'm okay enough without getting help, which isn't true.

From what I've heard, the biggest thing that determines how effective therapy is, be it hypnotherapy, medications, CBT, whatever, is how effective the client BELIEVES it will be. If someone goes in with the attitude that it won't help them, it never will. (Which is not to say that this is the reason that it didn't help Kaydee, some therapies are just more effective for certain people and less effective for others.)

I would love to try it, but I just have the feeling that I wouldn't be able to concentrate long enough or hard enough to be hypnotized. Please let us know how it worked for you.

Well, I've had three sessions so far, and to be honest it's not really that helpful. The first two weren't too bad, but in between sessions, I began to have panic attacks again, which hadn't happened for a while before this. So, I'm thinking of telling her I'm not finding it really helpful, and quitting.

Thing is, I don't know if maybe I'm just not trying hard enough? Because I also have mock GCSEs in three days, so I think that theyre contributing to the stress as well, especially since my mum has been so serious about it - I know they're important, but they're still just mocks, right? Ahh, so frustrated right now.

I have tried hypnotherpay, serval times, with different hypnotherapists. Each time it worked to help me relax.. left there feeling like I had just had a full body massage, which was very nice. And for a few days, sometimes even weeks, afterwards, I felt little or no anxiety and as if the emetophobia was gone. Looking back, that was probably due to the fact that I felt so relaxed. But, before long, the fear always came back. So for me it didn't work. The only way to know for sure is for you to try it. Everyone's different.

I'm afraid to spend the money just to know that it doesn't work. I have a tough time concentrating on relaxing (my mind is always going) so I'm not sure how helpful it would be for me.

For those of you who are nervous about spending the money, try talking to different hypnotherapists about that. My hypnotherapist did three sessions with me for $150 total, and said if it took more than that there would be no charge and we'd go until it got better.

I tried hypnotherapy many years ago. Unfortunetly for me, it didn't work. I think, for me, it was because I was never really hypnotized. I don't think that I was able to relax enough. I have considered trying again, since when I did do this I was in a very bad place. I hope that maybe, now I am not so anxious all the time it might help. Hope it works for you!!!
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Quote Originally Posted by asianeko View Post
    For those of you who are nervous about spending the money, try talking to different hypnotherapists about that. My hypnotherapist did three sessions with me for $150 total, and said if it took more than that there would be no charge and we'd go until it got better.
    Are there different "types" of hypnotherapy? I was curious what type your therapist used, especially since you felt that you improved!

Quote Originally Posted by MollyHazel View Post
    Are there different "types" of hypnotherapy? I was curious what type your therapist used, especially since you felt that you improved!
    There definitely are! Sorry for the broken up post, It's easier for me to separate them instead of having a big chunk of stuff.

I've read lots of posts about people going to hypnotherapy and having the therapist put them in a mindset to remember what began the phobia. They use that information to tackle what the problem may be.

I've also heard of hypnotherapists just using relaxation methods, as well as teaching anxiety management tricks to help you overcome your fear.

Some will use mental imagery to help you overcome the fear. For example, mine had me picture all my bad experiences and everything that was in my mind relating to vomit or vomiting on a VHS tape, and then putting that VHS tape into a giant tape eraser.

The one thing that my therapist also did (and he swore was the reason he was so successful with all his patients) was almost a little mini exorcism. I use the term very, very lightly since it's not anything crazy dramatic. He basically had me lay back and relax, and just say the first things that came to mind. During that process, we together gave each aspect of my phobia a different name, and then pictured the named leaving my body and joining the "light" where it could feel safe and protected, and not need to take it's fear out on my mind and body. Now, one can take this as a nicknaming phobias and imagining them leaving, or one can take it as actual demons harnessing themselves in you and being cast out. It all depends on your spiritual beliefs. I must say though, that it worked amazing for me personally. I haven't heard of any other hypnotherapists doing that specific thing, but I also haven't looked far and wide for another therapist since my first one worked so well.

I'm sure there are other types, but these are the ones I know of that therapists can use. There is also self hypnosis that I find works very well, and you can do that with MP3 tracks or even youtube videos.
    Last edited by asianeko; 01-08-2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Grammar corrections.