Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default why don`t anti emets always work?

I`m always reading on various internet sites about people who have taken anti emets, & still vted. I wonder why drug companies make these drugs if we can`t rely on them to prevent vting.

Default Re: why don`t anti emets always work?

Sometimes it is too late and your stomach will not absorb them and sometimes they simply do not work. My Mum wnet into hospital once and had iv anti emetics and still kept being sick. It's just like any other drug I guess and sometimes one kind wont work for you or wont work this time.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Probably for the same reason any other medication doesn't work 100% of the time for 100% of the people. I'm sure you've taken Tylenol (or something similar) for example and it didn't get rid of your headache.

Also, if your body REALLY needs to get rid of something, I think it'll bypass any anti-emet because keeping it in would be more harmful to you. That may be the other reason.

Anti-emets are, on the whole, very effective and work in the majority of cases. The truth is that you CAN rely on them to prevent n*/v* most of the time but expecting a drug to work 100% of the time is unrealistic, there's no drug around like that.

Tylenol isn`t available in england, but yes, I have had stubborn headaches that refuse to go after a painkiller, thanfully not many, but that thought does make me uneasy about anti-emets.