Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default My District 9 Triumph

Quote from 8-13-2009
    Quote Originally Posted by asianeko View Post
    SUCH A HUGE LEAP BACK!

I saw District 9, and the copious amounts of v* made me walk out. I'm still shaking and crying, trying to apologize to my bf who felt like he shouldn't stay and finish the film since I can't. I'm so pissed cuz aside from all the v* it was so amazing! I want to finish it but I'm terrified. I have never ever had to leave something I wanted because of this fear. I feel like crap now since I not only ruined my night, but his as well. I'm scared to go to bed but scared to stay awake.

I was doing so good... I just feel like I spent weeks climbing a ladder and just fell off.
    Though I've been able to see vomit in other films and TV shows since I've gotten further down my path to recovery, District 9 was still something I was scared to see. I knew the story, and really wanted to watch it, since before the movie ever came out! Even just seeing film footage made my heart leap a little bit.

I wanted to share with everyone that after over a year, I sat down and watched District 9 with Kris (my boyfriend) last night. I watched one vomit scene, and was fine with it. I didn't want the other ones in my mind, just in case (we were watching it before bed) so I closed my eyes through them, and Kris muted just to be certain I could happily finish the rest of the movie. I plan on watching it with the sound during a day when I don't have to go to bed right after.

I just wanted to share this with everyone because I am really, really proud If you had told me that night I could get through the movie without being nervous, I would have laughed in your face. But now, less than two years later, I was fine. Imagine your scariest experience, and then being able to get through it. You all can do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: My District 9 Triumph

Aweee ! thats great !
    I remember when It was sooo hard for me to watch the sandlot because of that, I still close my eyes!

Sort of progress.

A few years ago, there was an episode of Bad Girls where the entire wing drank some dodgy hooch, they were v* left, right and centre. It was horrible.

It came on TV the other night, I can watch it now, but only if I fast forward through it on my Sky+

Baby steps at the moment.

But you can watch the episode!! That's definitely improvement! Congrats!

District 9 was an amazing movie, but very graphic. I kind of flinched in the theater but I made it through. Glad for your breakthrough!

I can watch v scenes, but I can`t help being disgusted with the character whose vting , & the film & programme makers who seem to think that no movie or tv programme is complete without a v scene nowadays.

There are plenty of movies and TV shows without vomiting in them. It's just that they don't see it as such a big deal as we do, so there's no issue with putting it in. People vomit, it's just a part of life. I totally get what you mean though, I always flinch in vomit scenes.

asianeko, I had the same issue with a movie where there was a VERY graphic vomiting scene, but I still haven't been able to go back and watch it, so I think you're really brave for watching District 9 again. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    asianeko, I had the same issue with a movie where there was a VERY graphic vomiting scene, but I still haven't been able to go back and watch it, so I think you're really brave for watching District 9 again. Congrats!
    Try entertaining the thought of watching it with somebody you trust, somebody who will mute or fast forward the graphic scene(s). Imagine being able to enjoy the story without having to worry about those parts sneaking up on you! Baby steps will lead you to your victory