Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default how can I tell someone?

Hey there, long time lurker here, but I'm trying to not be so shy anymore and just registered. Weird but even behind internet anonymity, I still feel embarrased Anyhoo, the thing is, I'm really tired of making up excuses to hide what I feel and what I fear from my closest friend. I mean, I'm certainly not going to tell random people about it (omg my heart literally beats faster at the thought) but I would love to confide to my best friend *at long last*. I'm sure she'll be understanding and whatnot (plus it would help me LOADS to have someone I can actually share when I'm panicking while we're out, not look for an excuse and have the added stress of lying!), it's just that I have no idea how to start the conversation, what to say etc. Any advice?

Default Re: how can I tell someone?

Hey!!

So this thing has been bothering me for years and its started taking over my life, and sometimes at school I get nervous and I know I have nobody to confide in because nobody knows, but I told my boyfriend recently and he was sooo understanding and he still is now. It was not super easy to tell and I it made tears come out and all but I just start off telling her them how lifes been for you lately and let her know all about it, if shes really a good friend of yours she will want to help you and be there for you

i finally told my husband, my mom and two of my best friends last january....after finding this site. i showed them the information and research section....has good explanation and also answers alot of questions.......they also read some of the posts.....especially panic posts so they would maybe understand how i feel and that i'm not the only person that feels this way....

i also threatened my husband with divorce if he ever made fun of me.......lol.......i did alot of crying during our conversation but it really was relief to finally let someone in on my secret that i've had for over 50 years.....makes it less stressful.....don't have to lie when i feel like i can't do something......and actually that doesn't seem to happen very much since i've told him.

i don't think everyone i know needs to know about it......but it's truly has made me less stressful to be able to share with a few people when i need to.....

good luck......
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I had the same problem too. When you tell your freind, you dont have to go into depth about it but the best way to tell her is to open up with:
    "I'm guessing you've noticed that I can get a bit nervy in some situations like when we're out (Add an example, whether it be, excessive hand washing, or whatever it is you do that she may have noticed) but i'm getting fed up with making excuses about it, I have a big phobia of vomit and it effects alot of things in my life, I feel comfortable telling you and I want you to know about it so I dont have to make up excuses anymore" You dont have to say that word for word but you get the idea I hope, add in anything you want and like the comment above me says, just tell her how it makes you feel.

Also, the more you learn about emetophobia the more you understand it and it becomes easier to explain to people what it is and talking to other sufferers really helps you to talk about it and feel less shy because it's a great feeling to know you're not the only one, that's what I've found anyway.
    I totally understand that you don't wanna tell other people and feel embarresed, people aren't always as understanding :/ i've only told those closest to me.

Hope it all goes okay, i'm sure she'll be there for you