Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Shoes in the house?

I have a no shoes in the house policy and I wonder if that has helped keep my family and I healthy. I feel that there are more and more people who do the same thing but I still get funny looks when I tell people "and you can put your shoes here" LOL. But I am a freak. I think about all that we step in outside and in public, how can anyone really not care to have it dragged through the house?

Am I strange?

Default Re: Shoes in the house?

I grew up in a no shoes house and have the same as an adult. It definitely keeps the schmutz out of your house. It is also better for the cat. When my kids were little and crawled around, I was glad we did not wear shoes in the house. FYI - I have noticed a lot of people do it now.

Stella

Same here. No shoes as a kid, and now I have my own place I have beige carpets, so no shoes! Having said that, I have a dog so he probably drags worse into the house.

I think it's weird when people wear shoes in the house. We have hardwood and we still take our shoes off.
    I love hardwood, I feel like it's so easy to keep nice and clean! After my mom and brother had noro I even bleached the floors! lol
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

I feel that is a normal policy. Carpets are expensive and it is a real nuisance to keep mopping floors because someone comes in with their muddy boots! It's also healthier from a germs point of view. I usually take off my shoes when I visit somebody else's house I think! xxx

Really? My family members remove our shoes in the front hall and put them in the closet but I would never dream of asking a guest to do that. I guess I grew up with hospitality as #1, rather than cleanliness. Neither is better than the other - they're just different values.

I also read somewhere once that the oil from the bottom of your feet, also found on the bottom of your socks, was worse for your carpet than any "dirt" found on the bottom of people's shoes.

As far as emetophobia goes I don't think anything from the bottom of your shoes could possibly cause vomiting in any way....
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't think that's a strange policy. We take our shoes off by the front door, the carpets are quite light so it used to be more about not dirtying them up but now we have a baby crawling around so it's more about hygiene now

I always take my shoes off when I go to someones house. I thought that was being a good guest and not tracking in crap from outside lol I also take my shoes off at the door of my house. Don't think that is weird at all. It has nothing to do with emet either.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    Really? My family members remove our shoes in the front hall and put them in the closet but I would never dream of asking a guest to do that. I guess I grew up with hospitality as #1, rather than cleanliness. Neither is better than the other - they're just different values.

I also read somewhere once that the oil from the bottom of your feet, also found on the bottom of your socks, was worse for your carpet than any "dirt" found on the bottom of people's shoes.

As far as emetophobia goes I don't think anything from the bottom of your shoes could possibly cause vomiting in any way....
    I completely agree. I was raised to think about manners and hospitality first and whilst my partner and I always remove our shoes in our home I wouldn't even contemplate asking a visitor to do the same, even if they are a good friend. It's strange because I wouldn't be offended if someone asked me to take my footwear off upon entering their home, but I could never request it from others.

There's a funny episode of Sex in the City where Carrie pays a fortune for the right shoes to go with her outfit. She goes to a house party and the host asks her to take them off. She argues that they are part of the outfit, but reluctantly agrees. Then someone steals them! lol
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.