Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Antiemetics

Default Antiemetics

What are antiemetics? And how can I get some?
    It seems as though a lot of you guys on here really swear by then. . .Any info please Thank You x
    2010 && 2011 the years I met Gok Wan
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Lets slap Emet in the face. . .

Follow My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Antiemetics

An anti-emetic is a drug that is designed to prevent nausea or vomiting ("emesis" is the medical term for vomiting).

There are a number of different anti-emetics, and the best one depends on why you are nauseated. The most powerful anti-emetics were designed to prevent nausea and vomiting in chemotherapy patients. The one most commonly prescribed is called Zofran (generic name Ondansetron). These drugs work by blocking certain receptors that trigger the n&v complex in the brain. They tend to be very expensive and some of the most powerful ones you probably only would ever be able to get from a cancer doctor. Most family doctors and general practioners are aware of Zofran, though.

The more commonly prescribed (and affordable) anti-emetics are Compazine (Prochlorperazine) and Phenergan (promethazine). There are also a few "over-the-counter" anti-emetics such as Dramamine (which works for motion sickness) or Emetrol Syrup.

To get a prescription anti-emetic, you would need to go to your doctor and have him/her prescribe it for you. Anti-emetics like Dramamine or Emetrol syrup can be purchased over-the-counter.

Hope that helps.

I should add that if you are experiencing nausea from ANXIETY, none of the anti-emetics may help even the most powerful ones. When I went through chemotherapy, I would get "anticipatory nausea" which is a very common occurrence in cancer patients (not just emets) ... It's where you associate treatment with feeling sick even before anything happens. In other words, it is a form of anxiety-induced nausea. None of even the most powerful anti-emetics work on anticipatory nausea. What helps with it is the powerful anxiety drug Ativan.

Hi there,

Noticed you are in the UK Midnight Dream- Pop yourself to superdrug or Boots and buy yourself Motallium. No questions asked and you can buy it over the counter in the pharmacy! :-) x

Thank you guys Rachel is Motallium good? Any expierence with it? x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

Zofran is the best one to get- it's only available on prescription though which I am going to investigate trying to get. I'll let you know how it goes. Motallium works very well for me, very easy small tablet to swallow and doesn't taste bad or anything but want to try zofran coz I heard it was the best. No side effects experienced with Motallium either and it helps with indigestion too! SCORE :-)
    BTW there are two kinds- Tablets and dissolving Motallium. The dissolving Motallium works very fast, tablets take longer- 45 minutes- the tablets are good if you are feel a little n* and you need to be somewhere in like a couple of hours. For more severe n* get the dissolving stuff. Both tablets are available from boots and superdrug xx

Thank you so much When I go to see my doctor next week regarding my Emet I shall ask about the Zofran Both medicines sound very helpful, I just need something y'know! I shall have a look at the Motallium when I next to into town Probably have a look in there tomorrow as Im not up to much, again thank you so much and good luck getting your hands on some Zofran x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

Zofran 4 mg plus 1 mg of ativan is the best combination or prescription drugs that help with being emet. Zofran is a wonderdrug and I told my doc that the other day!

I would just worry about the side effects of taking anti emetics :S x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Dream View Post
    I would just worry about the side effects of taking anti emetics :S x
    They certainly become addictive, especially to people like us who will often come to ''depend'' on them. I use phenergan if I'm feeling particularly bad and I remember going through a 50 pack in a YEAR...one year...that's like taking it once a week. I don't know if it would've been harmful to me or not because it is primarily used as medication for sinus/allergy relief so I'm assuming people take it all the time? But it's OK to use them very rarely...today they are more like a safety blanket for me - to know they're available if I REALLY do need them.

What I mean is, would I feel *s taking them? I know they are anti emetics and are supposed to stem off feeling *s but what if it turns the other way. . . and makes me *v and feel *s? x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

Anti-emetics obviously don't generally cause n&v as a side effect (seeing that they are designed to prevent it!). Since I had cancer, I've taken just about every anti-emetic out there from compazine and phenergan all the way up to Emend, Kytril, and Aloxi and none of them every made me sick. Zofran *would* often make my stomach hurt a few days after taking it due to constipation, though.

But honestly, it is possible that you could have an odd reaction to *any* drug you take. If taking an anti-emetic actually RAISES your anxiety level because you're afraid it's going to make you sick, I wouldn't recommend them at all.

You can also buy Motilium off asda's pharmacy website, no nosy pharmacist to deal with either, I bought some for myself, haven't had a reason to take them yet though!
    I'm guilty of being innocent

I swear by Zofran. It kept me from v* when I had the sv because luckily I took it soon enough.

They do become addictive though. I have them for my IBS and while they come in handy, I take them a lot when deep down I know I do not need one. I hate it. I would stay away if you can and that's my honest opinion.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Hmm I think I will speak to my doctor about them really Thank you x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

I find it really hard to persuade doctors to prescribe anti-emets for noro, but I always keep some Motillium handy, just in case I`m unlucky enough to catch a bug. You can buy them at any chemist for about £5.

You see doctors here seem to be reluctant to give us Zofran! x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

Kristamayla Guest

My family doctor use to perscribe me Phenergan but I have only taken like half a pil once and it made me SUPER drowsy. The Phenergan that I have now is expired and I want to get more just in case but I hate asking my doctor. I don't want him to think that I actually take them all the time. I just feel better if I have them .. especially since I now live alone. =((