Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Question I'm signed up for Hypnotherapy! Now what?

Okay, so I am signed up to get some hypnotherapy. May appointment is for Saturday at 2. I'm excited for it, but also a little scared.

I have had CBT with exposure, and it has been very effective, but I am to a point where I feel that I cannot progress any further with that. With CBT, I knew everything thing that was going to happen before I ever saw the therapist.

That is not the case with hypnotherapy. I have no idea what goes on, what I'm going to be doing. I have heard that it is very relaxing, but it is NOT relaxing to not know what is going to happen.

I know that for some people it works wonders, and other people it does nothing, but what I REALLY want to know is what did you do on your first visit?

Oh, and it is hypnotherapy with NLP, if that matters.

Default Re: I'm signed up for Hypnotherapy! Now what?

Hypnotherapy didn't work for me, but in my first session, I talked to the therapist about the issues that I had, and what I wanted to get out of the sessions. That took about half an hour. Then she had me sit in a big comfy chair, made sure I was comfortable, and then she hypnotised me. I found it to be mostly like relaxation exercises I'd done with a counsellor, which is possibly why it didn't work a whole lot for me Good luck though, I hope you're one of the ones that it works for

On my first visit we made a list of things that add stress to my life, not just emet, and he worked them into the hypnosis. It's really just sitting in a comfy chair and listening to the therapist's voice, and being completely relaxed. Just listening really, perhaps a few simple questions. They aren't the kind you think of either, just those ones you answer with the first thing that pops into your head.

Hypnotherapy worked super awesome for me, good luck and let us know how it goes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Okay, hypnotherapy is today! (it was supposed to be yesterday, but it got moved to today.) Thank you for your help. I'm still nervous about it, but I am excited. I hope that I can relax enough to be hypnotized. I heard that that can be an issue sometimes. I'm going to drink my relaxing tea, I got a good nights sleep last night, and I'm sitting here watching my favorite TV shows. I want to be very relaxed by the time I am supposed to leave.

I'll toss up another post when I get back saying how it went!

Good luck! I hope it goes well! Xx

Alright, it went very well! The people that I was getting it from decided to do NLP. It was kinda fun. Yes, I think it helped me, and I'm feeling better today than I have in a while. I'm going to continue with the exercises that they showed me, but what really surprised me
    that it was actually pretty fun to do them.

They also recommended a good CD to listen to at night. It is from Health Journeys and has guided imagery, relaxation practice, mantra medication, and body awareness. It is specifically to help with panic attacks. The man who helped me out actually suffered from crippling panic attacks that had ended up with him in the hospital once because people thought that he was having a heart attack. He wasn't emetophobic, it sounded to me like panic disorder. He said that this CD really helped him (he wasn't just trying to sell it, he offered it to me for free) I've listened it some of it, it is VERY relaxing. www.healthjourneys.com is the website listed on the back of it.

I'll post again in maybe a week or two to let you guys know how the exercises and the relaxation CD is going.

Thank you so much for your update! I'm glad the hypnotherapy is working for you

And I'll have to check out that CD. I love sleepytime hypnosis!

You may find these links helpful!

has anyone tried hypnoanalysis iv just got in touch with a local therapist who may be bale to help my meetophobia with this therapy any advice will be helpfull also has anyone tried citalopram xx

Might be better to start your own thread on that one, Chelz

And Andrilla, I'm so glad it's working for you. What is NLP, exactly? I've googled it, but I still don't quite understand...

I don't really understand NLP either. Um, they do exercises where you visualize things....

They have me hold my left hand in front of my face and imagine everything opposite of the phobia, such as feeling happy, feeling relax, safe, that sort of stuff. Then on my right hand I imagine danger, sickness, death, whatever is phobia related. I hold my left hand out as far away as I can and right hand in front of my face, look at it, and then say "switch" and switch them. I think that it is helping me move on from the obsessive thoughts. Before my mind went "phobia thoughts, phobia thoughts, phobia thoughts" and now I think I am retraining it to go "phobia thoughts, then happy thoughts!" so that I don't dwell on it and make everything worse.

The relaxation CD is also helping a lot. You are supposed to listen to it every night for a month, well I've only had the thing a week and already I am in better control. I have had two episodes which could have gone into full panic attacks, but I did the exercises on the tape (once in the bathroom at school for only a minute) and the anxiety backed off.

Also, I am getting much better sleep. I listen to the tapes at night right before I go to bed. I used to sometimes get anxious right before bed because one of my biggest worries is waking up sick in the middle of the night (happened once when I was a kid). Two nights I went to sleep with my stomach not feeling 100%. I ate rich food one night, I forget what I did the second night. They were both my fault. After doing two of the exercises, the uncomfortable feeling in my stomach went away, probably because I wasn't focusing on it so much. Apart from that though, I am overall just getting more relaxing, deeper sleep and waking up feeling more energized. I used to dread my alarm clock going off, now half the time I'm awake before it goes off!

I highly recommend this CD to anyone who wants to just relax, whenever, wherever.

how do i go about getting this cd and i too am going to google nlp later on today i think i may of heard of this therapie before but im not a 100 percent sure as my memorys not good at the minute due to a neurologial condition that i also have xx im glad its helping u so much xxx

They have it on the website www.healthjourneys.com and it is called "panic attacks" They also have several other CDs, some of which are done by the same lady as the panic attack CD. Her name is Bellruth or Bellaruth, something like that. It isn't that expensive either.

I don't know if NLP is something that you can do on your own. They chose my specific exercises based on my strengths (ex: visual learner) and what they thought that I needed more, such as moving away from obsessive thoughts, where as someone else may need things for association/disassociation. (It was my friend and the man who taught him NLP who were doing it, so they also talked to each other about things that would work best for me. I didn't understand half of it, but it sounded interesting)