Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Panic First-Aid

<H1>First aid tips: How to stop a panic attack</H1>
    <H2>Here is some information on panic attacks and some suggestions on how to help a loved one, or even yourself, cope with them.</H2>

Panic attacks are tricky. They can sneak up on people and mimic the symptoms of heart attacks, strokes and asthma. They hit all segments of the population, regardless of race, gender or job status. A CEO is just as likely to experience a panic attack as a student attending college, or a parent staying at home with the kids. The symptoms of a panic attack typically include four or more of the following:

Shortness of breath

Chest pain/heart palpitations/racing heartbeat

Tingling sensations in the extremities

Flushing

Dizziness/feelings of faintness

Sweating

Fear of becoming seriously ill or dying

Fear of losing control/going crazy

Nausea/abdominal distress

Feelings of unreality

Trembling

Panic attacks can last only a few minutes, or can last hours, or even days. People who suffer from them often initially mistake panic symptoms for more serious disorders. Of course, it is always a good idea to rule out more ominous causes of chest pain, dizziness and the like, but once panic disorder has been diagnosed, there are many things that can be done to help the sufferer, both by the individual himself and other concerned persons.

What to do if you know someone is having a panic attack:

1. Sit with the person. Gently remind them that what they are feeling is a panic attack and not a serious medical problem.

2. Get the person to focus on doing diaphragmatic breathing. This reduces hyperventilation, which can be responsible for many of the nasty symptoms that accompany panic disorder. Diaphragmatic breathing is the type of breathing that is done when the person breathes with their diaphragm, rather than their upper chest. Tell the person to take very slow, deep breaths, deep in their lungs. The stomach, not the upper chest, should move slightly when true deep breathing is being done. Count with each breath. Inhale 1…2…3…4….5, exhale 1…2…3…4…5. This breathing technique should help relieve some of the discomfort of the physical symptoms caused by the imbalance of carbon dioxide that is created by hyperventilation.

3. Ask if the person feels like going for a walk. Often, panic attacks are accompanied by feelings of wanting to flee the environment where the panic attack is occurring. Walking can let the person feel as though they have “escaped” from an uncomfortable environment, and also has the added benefit of helping to burn off excess adrenaline that has accumulated in the body.

4. Find out if the person has anti-anxiety medication, such as Xanax or Ativan. Some people carry these medications with them so that they can take an “as-needed” dose when a panic attack occurs. Although these medicines can taste quite unpleasant, when dissolved under the tongue, they enter the bloodstream very quickly, and provide prompt relief from symptoms, usually beginning in about 15 minutes.

5. If the panic attack does not subside after a number of efforts have been made, the person may feel better going to the hospital, where they can be assured that they are physically sound. Be sure to drive them yourself. The symptoms of panic can make a person feel quite disoriented, hence making driving difficult and dangerous. Hospital personnel can also administer the appropriate medication, if necessary.

If you live with a panic sufferer, educate yourself about Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder and Agoraphobia. Often, two of these disorders can co-exist. Offer plenty of support to the person suffering from the attacks. They are doing the best they can to cope with overwhelming physical symptoms, often in additon to worries that they may b
    <font color=RED><font size=\"4\"> FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL----fear</font>

Thanks Sparky! It's funny, I was just thinking today about how our bodys in panic are the same as excitement or true dnager in which cases we don't even think out our stomachs. The reason I thought about it is I was in the garage doing laundry and heard something scratching outside the door, the the dog started REALLY barking, it turned out to be the yard dude but GEEZ! I noticed as I was "coming down" when I wasn't in any real danger that the feelings I had were the same ones I have during an attack but I wasn't scared (not in that way anhow lol) after the "danger" passed even tho I still felt the residual adreneline. Sorry this is so long I just thought it was so funny you posted this when iw as thinking about it lol!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Our Higher Power works through us. Thank you!

Just wanted to bring this back for those that have not read it.

Thankyou, Sparky! I hadn't read it before - I almost wish I was having a panic attack now so I could practice some of the things on there![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]Thankyou very much, some excellent ideas on there for calming the nerves.