Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default My emetophobia is related w/ cars...

When I was much 12 my brother got sick in our grandfather's expensive car. Back then I wasn't afraid but over the years I've become more and more anxious of car rides because I'm terrified of someone becoming sick. Any advice?

Default Re: My emetophobia is related w/ cars...

welcome to the forum. i used to be anxious in cars also after my sister go sick one time.........but i look back and realize i've been in cars thousands of times without anyone getting sick (including myself) so the odds are pretty small it will happen......

i also do better if i'm the driver.....it's that control issue i have......

don't let this hold you back....keep on riding/driving.....chances are it won't happen again
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my cousin used to get carsick all the time, when we were growing up (and we were always together!) it never bothered me. I guess I was used to it and plus, knowing it wasn't contagious I guess. It's very slim that people get sick in the car, if they do, just pull over

I was in the car with my boyfriend once, and he was driving, and he said he felt sick. I damn near almost threw myself out of the car travelling at 110km/h on a highway. It's so scary. I totally understand. I'm not too fond of travelling in the back seat of cars with someone, especially on long drives.

I remember when I was about 8, I was riding in the car with relatives. My cousin v* a little, and I remember dry heaving (I was sitting next to her). =/

When I was in elementary school, I remember sometimes feeling a bit queasy, and then I would lie down in the car (I know, not safe) and feel much better.

If I were afraid of getting car sick myself, I would carry some Dramamine (less drowsy kind) with me. As far as the fear of seeing someone else get sick, maybe it would be a good idea to ask who gets motion sickness before riding with them and let them ride in the passenger seat. Or offer them motion sickness medicine if you have it with you. I think it would help to have a ziploc bag in cars at all times for the unexpected.

I keep a few motion sick bags in the glove compartment. I took them from the plane.

This was hard for me with my job that I just left. I am a social worker and often had to drive clients around, and often had to drive kids around, and when we had after school program, if I was on duty (or inconveniently around the office after school time), I would have to drive SICK KIDS home. The first one I had to drive home had a stomach ache and a headache, and was staying in a shelter like 20 minutes from our office. I just kept chatting with her like crazy the whole way trying to keep her mind off of being sick!! She wasn't. No one was ever sick in my car.... or anyone else's car in the agency, or in the vans, to anyone's memory.

Quote Originally Posted by wargerbil View Post
    This was hard for me with my job that I just left. I am a social worker and often had to drive clients around, and often had to drive kids around, and when we had after school program, if I was on duty (or inconveniently around the office after school time), I would have to drive SICK KIDS home. The first one I had to drive home had a stomach ache and a headache, and was staying in a shelter like 20 minutes from our office. I just kept chatting with her like crazy the whole way trying to keep her mind off of being sick!! She wasn't. No one was ever sick in my car.... or anyone else's car in the agency, or in the vans, to anyone's memory.
    My mum does that. She's a social worker too. A kid who was, well, suicidal, and has been abused, (sexually) was one of the worse cases she'd ever had, had d* in her car, and I wouldn't sit in there for MONTHS, and once she saw a woman projectile v* in the loos. I'd consider it a dangerous job tbh .xxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.