Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default noro and military bases

so my boyfriend will be joining the military soon and im was highly excited for myself him and our son to go and start our new life.that was untill i heard that noro spreads around military bases plus i have a son and he will probably go to military daycare on base.my family has never has noro in our house untill this year and my son brought it home from daycare,everyone excepyt me and my father caught it,my boyfriend even caught it and he doesnt live with us.so now im really frightened to live on base.id rather live off base but i heard that if u live off base u will have to pay for it.i really dont want this to ruin our plans to go but now im really scared.i know sometimes the news and media over do things sometimes and noro may not hit military bases that ofetn but im sooo scared to risk it.i googled noro and military bases and all i found was outbreaks in germany and in isreal and itwas only one outbreak but there probably have been more but they werent reported.i really dont know what to do.have any of u guys lived on military bases or know anything about them?any advice?is it a possibility to live off base in close proximity to the base if you found a house.i want to avoid this bug at least untill the vaccine comes out.any help u guys?

Default Re: noro and military bases

Hi, I lived on a military base in CA for five years. It was the greatest experience for me (and for my family). We were very close to the people who lived on our block and did things together all of the time. My kids never did the daycare on base (but did preschool and attended the DOD school on base). I can tell you that sickness did go around from time to time but it was never out of the ordinary and there was never an "outbreak" during the time we lived there. You cannot ever get away from the germs (unless you live in a bubble... and believe me I wish I did right now as the school they attend is getting hammered with it). I fear them getting sick just as much living in our own house away from base and attending a public school as I did when they went to the school on base. The difference is that they are not living in a secure environment able to play outside all day and walk to school. That came from base living. I think what the media reports is when it strikes the barracks and you have a whole bunch of guys living in close quarters that probably are not that concerned about washing their hands before eating and such. It definitely can happen, but not in the housing areas which function much like neighborhoods out in town.

I hope this helps to allay your fears somewhat. Like I said, we loved base housing.