Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Okay so my boyfriend just made me move out and now I will be living with a roomate, a friend from school. We have seperate bathrooms, but it stil freaks me out. Like she works with kids, and kids are always sick, and like she has lots of friends and like they will be over with their food. How do I keep safe? What is she gets sick? OMG I'm so scared. Like we have to share a kitchen. How do I keep myself from eating her germs. How do I clean all the dishes with the most germ killing stuff? I'm so freaked. I feel like a freak. Its only six months. I can do it. But what if???? HOW DO I PROTECT MYSELF? Mostly how do I clean the dishes safely? Living with my mom would be worse...she has a whole daycare in our house. Help!

Tips:

Bathroom: Use Lysol on all surfaces. Mixing3 parts water and 1 part bleach, then washing will kill any germs.

Kitchen:Again, Lysol and Mr.Clean on all counters, cubboard handles, door knobs and other areas that other people touch a lot will stop the spread of bacteria.

Dishes: At the fire hall, they will first wash dishes with a small cup full of bleach along with the dish soap. They wash, than give the dishes an extra rinse in cold water. This is an effective method of eliminating germs and bacteria. If you are using a dishwasher, the heat alone during the drying cycle should kill anything. There is special antibacterial dish soap at your supermarket and drug store.

Call your pharmacist and ask for tips.

I hope this helps, it's straight from the fire hall!!
    <font color=RED><font size=\"4\"> FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL----fear</font>

I lived with a roomate for 2 years, and we shared a bathroom! She
    is one of those people who gets sick all the time for no reason.
    I swear she got sick at least 15 times in the two years we lived
    together. Sometimes from drinking and sometimes just because her
    stomach hurt. It never bothered her, she used to eat right
    after!! I hated it. And scrubbed the bathroom and kitchen
    all the time! I never caught anything she had. It's only
    for six months, you will be fine. At least you have your own
    bathroom. Does she know about your emet? Maybe suggest
    keeping your cups and food in seperate cabinets? Talk with her
    about what will make you more comfortable. Good luck! Carrie

how about for the six months you live there use your own plastic cups/paper plates? how about drinking out of straws? that way your mouth isn't on the cups she drinks out of even after you guys wash them...
    all the above are great too..but just in case that's not enough? ..keep your silverware separate from hers...that's what i do i dont borrow from my roomate

i live in a dorm here at school..in a cube i share a bedroom with one person and a bathroom with eight people. anytime anyone gets sick we clorox wipe everything...you can do it..
    i dont know if i think of anything else i'll let you know
    [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] -megan

DO IT TREMBLING IF YOU MUST,
    BUT DO IT!! -unknown

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. -dr wayne dyer