Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Smile A Challenge To Everyone

In an effort to encourage everyone to recover, I am putting the challenge out there to everyone who reads this to take a holiday from emetophobia today. Let's declare today "Official Emetophobia-Free Day".

How might we do this? Well, everyone will "celebrate" this "holiday" a little differently. But what if we all behave, as best as we can, just for today like we are NOT emetophobic? Most people can do just about anything for just one day, right? So think about what your day would be like, what you would do, what you would think if, just for today, you weren't emetophobic. .. and then do THAT, to the best of your ability. You don't have to be perfect. You just have to TRY and give it your very best - just for today.

If you're willing to give this a try, post here how your emetophobia-free day is going!

Good luck everyone! We can do this! We are all - each and every one of us - stronger than emetophobia is!
    Last edited by ButterfliesInHerEyes; 01-26-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Default Re: A Challenge To Everyone

Me - I have conquered emetophobia in every area of my life except at the dentist. And I have dental surgery coming up. As the day gets closer, my thoughts "automatically" drift to everything that could go wrong, and that, of course, causes me a lot of anxiety.

So, just for today, I am going to make a conscious effort to visualize the day of the surgery going perfect - right down to the last little detail. When those negative "what if this happens" thoughts come creeping in, and they will, I'm going to catch myself, stop, and replace that negative scary thought with something postivie - positive but realistic.

In addition to thinking about the surgery going perfectly well, I'm also going to take the time to write down in my journal exactly how I want that day to go. I find that writing things down (the old fashioned way with a pen and paper) forces my mind to slow down and really think about things because, I don't know about you, but I can't write as fast as I can think!

That's what I'm going to do during this emetophobia-free day. That's all I can do. Can't realistically show up at the dentist and say, "I'm here for my surgery today!" lol

Great thread, I hope people can try and take part! x

Count me in. Today a co-worker called off sick (yes, that kind of sick -- didn't even have to ask he volunteered the information).

So for today -- I don't care why he called off and I'm not going to disinfect the office -- still be a good handwasher (LOL).

Then I'm going to have lunch AT MY DESK in the office instead of trying to escape.

Finally, I'm going to go home and cook a nice dinner for my family and EAT IT WITH THEM!!!

I'll let you know tomorrow how successful I am in my efforts!!!

I'm definitely going to try to do this. I'm going to let anyone eat whatever they want, and I'm not going to ask them how they're feeling every five minutes. This is a great idea!!

Well, that would be super easy for me today. It is a snow day today, so I won't be around the kids that sometimes make me nervous. (5 kids were absent yesterday, but a few days ago a kid and the teacher were both really sick with a nasty cold. The kid wasn't in school the next day. I think that the kids who were absent probably had that cold, especially since there has been no talk of stomach bugs since Christmas.)

So I'll be sitting at home working on my quilt all day. I wouldn't be affected by the phobia today anyway! I may go out later, but it all depends on how the roads are.

Can my holiday be in April? That would be much easier.

Haha...just kidding...I am going to try!
    waiting for the end to come...wishing i had strength to stand...
    this is not what i had planned...it's out of my control...

So glad you're all giving this a go!

My emetophobia-free day is going really well so far. If my dental surgery turns out like I envision it in my head today, it'll be an amazing experience... like a day at the spa!