Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Natural remedies for nausea/sickness?

Hello,

I know there may already be thread discussing this but I'm in a hurry at the moment, so don't have time to check everything out.

I'm vegan and therefore can't take any prescription medications (they're all tested on animals) and obviously I can't take anything containing any animal products either. Are there any natural remedies that are safe to take on a daily basis?

I eat mints frequently as they either calm my stomach or my nervous (I'm assuming all my symptoms are actually caused by my psychological fear of vomitting farther than actual illness), is there anything else that would be good?

I'd really appreciate any help as my daily life is suffering immensely due to this phobia

Default Re: Natural remedies for nausea/sickness?

I find the organic ginger Gravol to be very good. And the Seabands wrist bands, sold in pharmacies. Ginger tea, chamomile tea, peppermint tea, and regular black tea (no milk) to be very good for nausea too.

This may sound odd but for me personally, vinegary bitter things help tremendously... ie pickle juice, a bit of lemon juice in water... sometimes even smelling a fresh lemon helps.

Oh and a nurse once told me they give patients coming out of anesthesia a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol to smell.... the smell apparently helps with nausea. Go figure.

Hope this helps.

I find things like sipping water or eating something or just taking deep breaths the most helpful. I've never taken any anti nausea pills or anything. I did try the sea bands a few time and they work decent. Mainly it's mind over matter though. Occupy your mind with other things and take some deep breaths.

Coming from a vegetarian, I've always sworn by ginger root. Buy some from your local supermarket, grate some into a cup of hot water

** Sorry for the double post, eventually got a new keyboard for my computer, a relief to type normally again lol.

I've never tried it personally, but I've been told peppermint works good too.

Oh yeah, ginger, ginger pills are nice and portable. I know that, being vegan, you wouldn't want the gell capsule that it is in since they tend to have animal products in them (at least that is what the vegans I've talked to said), but you don't have to eat the capsule too. Open it and empty the capsule in water, that way you can keep some with you when it would be impractical to have fresh ginger. If you are against even buying the gel capsules (I know that some people are more strict than others), you could carry a small bottle of ground ginger, same thing as is in the capsules.

I've also heard that candied ginger is good works well, but I don't personally like the taste of it. I love fresh ginger though

I'm a ginger addict. Chamomile is also excellent, as is peppermint. I have also heard good things from some about Valerian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I actually take a tablespoon of ground ginger. It tastes nasty but it works and I had nothing else in my cupboard. Fennel is excellent for gas. I had really bad gas with a SV once and it got rid of it in about 5 minutes and it tastes like black licorice. Apparently Apple Cider Vinegar is really good to incorporate into your diet as well and it helps ward off flus and colds. I just read about that today actually! You put a couple of teaspoons in hot water and sip on it for the day.

ginger or cloves <3

Nothing beats ginger! Sometimes I mix it with chamomile to help relax me. Works for me..and I don't take any type of pharmaceutical drugs. Over the counter or prescription.

I hate tea and warm drinks but for me peppermint tea always works. I had the worst nausea and stomach ache a few weeks back due to my stomach issues, cup of peppermint tea, gone! I also have the organic Ginger Gravol, since it's just Ginger if I'm correct. I stopped taking pharmaceutical drugs for my nausea because I realized it was stupid and a little harmful considering my nausea is in my head, to be honest I don't think it's legitimate nausea, I don't even know the correct definition of nausea!

Anyway anything ginger and peppermint are my suggestions. Peppermint tea works best in my opinion, I'm always chewing mints/mentos etc and I think it helps me more psychologically calm myself down rather than actually doing anything for my stomach. Mentos actually make my stomach hurt :/

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

milk of magnesia is excellent its not actually an animal product its like magnesium sulphate or something i always take it when i get an acidic feeling like im going to be sick it cools your stomach and relaxes everything

Ginger Root

Black tea with a teaspoon of honey. Wait, can vegans do honey? haha, sorry if that's a dumb question. If not, just black tea works

Mints are my guilty pleasure. I go to them for stress, even non-emet related. Having something to chew or suck on calms my nerves majorly!

http://www.earthclinic.com/ailments.html
    That's a good site for more natural remedies
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

this is going to sound ridiculous, but i really feel better if i just "gulp" a lot. i just swallow my spit over and over until i feel better. i guess growing up with no other options, you kind of learn to adapt.

going along with the swallowing a lot, i find that sucking on a hard candy helps, it doesn't look odd like swallowing your own spit over and over again, but it's the same action.

Chewing gum is actually good I heard. It helps start the digestive tract after you've had SV and it helps keep me distracted although I have TMJ so chewing too much will lock my jaw LOL

I agree with everyone about the tea. I've been drinking celestial seasonings brand "tension tamer" and "sleepytime vanilla". They both help me calm down and also calm my stomach. I've also found that if I eat many small meals a day or snack in between meals. Weirdly enough I tend to feel better if I keep something in my tummy instead of waiting to get hungry before I eat. Hope this helps.