Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy New Here. How do I deal with this Phobia. Advice please!

I'm 18 years old, for the longest time I have feared the act of V*
    I didn't know why, but I just did. My mother, brother and sisters are also the same way.
    Considering I never met anyone else with this issue, I though my whole family (including myself) We're freaks (I don't mean to sound offensive). But one day I came across a phobia website, and emetophobia was 5th on the top ten list, I researched more into it and discovered this website.
    I have been relieved that I'm not the only one, I would love to hear all your opinions, stories and possibly advice regarding the subject. I'm so happy I can talk to people about this
    Sadly, I have huge anxiety issues as well, (they probably come together though)
    Right now i'm JUST getting over a flu, it has been horrible, worrying and scary.
    I'm JUST starting to try eating again, but it's been four days and I've avoided eating because I'm to scared of the consequences :S

Default Re: New Here. How do I deal with this Phobia. Advice please!

Wow, welcome! I've never heard of more than one person in a family being emetophobic - there must be some reason behind it? Perhaps you all got s* when you were younger? or just aren't used to it happening? Most people here can trace their emet back to an incident when they were young...or even just not being "exposed" to it enough as a child..I guess this is why we grow up believing v* is this terrible thing that shouldn't happen to us!

I was exposed to plenty of v as a child, mine & other kids, but I never saw anyone else in my family v. I always hated the feeling of being out of control, & making this horrible, disgusting mess. I think it does`nt make much difference if a person is familiar with v or not, it`s just how we feel about it that makes the difference. I know that most people see vting as a normal part of life, but I can never come to terms with it, because it seems like such a primitive act, & something only an animal would do.

My advice - get professional help now. You're so young. Don't waste your life with this stupid fear. It can be overcome, you don't have to live like this. Getting support is great, talking to others like you is great, but please nip this in the bud. Don't let it turn into a chronic lifelong disorder.