Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Help!

Unhappy Help!

I have never been professionally diagnosed with emetophobia, but I have no doubts in my mind that is a part of my life. Now that I'm older, it has begun to interfere with my life quite significantly.

I am 22 years old and a part time nanny. I have worked with children for several years now in various settings, and somehow been lucky enough to never encounter a child with the stomach flu. Until today.

I was called in early to be with and care for the sick 4 year old. She has the stomach flu and here I am scared to death.

I feel very close to having a panic attack, I feel like crying, and I feel like running out of the house. However, none of those are options (obviously). It is almost inevitable that I will have to tend to a situation that I am not ready for within the next hour or two and I need support. For now, or for if this ever happens again (which is likely because I am a nanny. What was I thinking??)
    Any suggestions?
    My biggest worries are A. Having to witness the act of her getting physically ill and B. Getting sick myself. However, my anxiety is highest at the thought of witnessing/hearing someone else be ill in front of me, and how that will affect me. I don't know why I signed up for this.

Default Re: Help!

Wow I would be freaking out too. I know had it been me I would have told them right up front when I got the job that I wouldn't watch their kids if they were throwing up. I know that's kind of cruel but with my phobia and with not wanting to get sick that's how it would have to be. Since you are there and there is nothing you can do I think you will just have to take some deep breaths and hope she doesn't get sick all over the place (that would be my fear). Make sure she has a bucket by her and let her know to make sure she aims for it or makes it to the bathroom if she is going to be sick. Show her some compassion because she is sick and keep your hands clean and dont' touch your face!! That's about all you can do and hope for the best. And pray this bug doesn't get you.

Yeah, just make sure you stay clean. Poor little thing, and poor you! I'd be freaking out. You're doing great just being there!

I hope she gets well soon

Why were you called in early? I admire nannies. On the other hand, why is it that nannies are expected to care for sick children? Since parents do not have to take off of work because they have nannies, they should take off when the kids get sick.