Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Scared out of my mind!!!!!!!

Well tomorrow is job shadow day at my school and I promised my friend that I would come with her to shadow our old teacher at our middle school! I was excited about it until today, when the reality of emetophobia hit me. I had just gotten somewhat comfortable and feeling in control of emet at my high school but now I have to go back to a place where anything could happen! I feel so out of control about getting sick! Like what if it happens while i'm there? What will my old friends and teachers think of me? If i started to feel sick could i control it? Would I embarrass myself if I went into a panic episode?! I don't know what to do! I promised and I have to go! Any advice?

Default Re: Scared out of my mind!!!!!!!

I find that if I don't challenge my irrational thoughts on a regular basis I get too comfortable and my world shrinks. I am constantly doing things I'm uncomfortable with cause of my phobia. I work hard to not let it control my life, and after I do things that scared me, I feel tons better!! I doubt anything will happen while you're there. If anything did, your FRIENDS would probably be concerned that you were ok, and that was it. If you started to feel sick, you could say to your friend that you are feeling ill, and she would understand that you needed to go home.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.