Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I know this has probably been asked before. I have been reading about emet and see that a lot of emets actually can suppress this reflex.

Do you think this is true or is the v** reflex uncontrollable?

I am sorry if I posted in the wrong section...I am new. It looks like a lot of people post in this section.

I think that in certain situations, you can control v'ing. I don't know that if you had a toxic substance or something in your body like that, you would be able to supress it. I just know that I've had tummy bugs that others have had and I have just gotten diarrhea, even if the rest of them are v'ing lots. A month or so ago, I had a migraine and started retching, but managed to not v*, even though I had just had water to drink. I also took too many Tylenol w/ codeines (not to be a freak, just because I was in a lot of pain w/ a tooth and wanted it to feel better) last fall and began retching and still didn't v* them up. I think after so many years maybe your v* center in the brain can become quite resistant to v'ing!

Really? We had a bug in our house in July. DH got SO sick. He v** every 45 minutes for about 8-9 hours. 6 yo ds v** twice thats it. DD had more diarrhea and v* a little. I on the other had had massive stomach cramps and nausea...and diarrhea for a couple of hours.

BTW...I take 2 benadryl to help with nausea and it helps. Every heard of this? It helps dry heaves too. (Sorry is graphic) Liquid benadryl is wonderful!

I am SO WORRIED. February and March are bad here in schools. I have been hearing about all these bugs going around and just waiting for it to be in schools. UGH!!!! I hate emet.......................[img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

My kids were sick a couple of yrs. ago w/ a terrible bug, they v'ed 15 times+ in an 2 hrs. Before haley v'ed the 1st time, I thought she just had a cold, since her nose was runny, so I gave her some Benadryl and she immediately v'ed!!!!!It didn't have time to get in her system, though, I wonder if I had given it to her sooner, if it would have helped at all.
    My dream is to one day see a commercial (like all the cold/flu ads) that has a miracle drug to make v'ing go away, just like coughs, nasal congestion, sneezing, fever, etc.

I wonder what about the benadryl in the pill form. I am pullin at straws now, and this is an old post ...........

Yes Jenny, Benadryl works. My doctor often prescribes it for me with antibiotics to help with tummy troubles.

So I wonder if I could take some to help me sleep tonight without the worry that I will wake up sick. Know what I mean?

I'd give it a shot. It will help you sleep, and will help with nausea.

Have you ever tried it when you had an sv?

I agree. Benadryl should make you sleepy. It has never made anyone I know sick. So I think it would be safe for you to take.

I just want it to maybe keep me from waking up sick.

No I haven't tried it during a SV... but it is an antihistamine, same as phenergan or dramamine, both of which are prescribed as antiemetics. It should work about the same.

Wow benedryll!Who knew!? I sometimes think my gag refelx is less then other people. Even when something goes down my throat the wrong way, when Iwas younger, I'd start choking but now, I can manipulate my throat a certain way(hard to explain)to stop the choking from happening.When IDO get an sv*, I lie or sitvery still so not to make my stomach move around untill the wave of nausea goes away.
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

Benadryl? Is that something you can get in the UK?

I know someone, he is not emetophobic but he once had a really bad illness contracted through drinking water which was contamintaed with sewage. He was so ill with fever and V* it was awful. Now he is not scared to V* he simply doesn't! He uses breathing techniques etc and controls it and he simply will not throw up simple as that! He can't explain how he doesn't, believe me I've begged!!!!!!! He just...doesn't!!!!!! LOL I used to think he'd be my ideal partner...pity he's a guy!!!!!!
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Yeah, it's an over the counter allergy medication here in the U.S. I'm sure you'd have it in the Uk. too.
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

Benadryl..HA! I'm alergic to that medicine, or something in it..I once
    took it, and I broke out in blotchy rashes and hives and boy it was
    bad!

Yes it is possible, or at least studies would seem to suggest so. In the end though if your body is badly enough traumatised by whatever it is thats making you ill you'll probly loose the battle. But for things like stomach bugs and food poisoning of course it is possible. Emetophobics proove that every day- we get sick once every 20 years maybe, and thats if we're unlucky. Normal people probably do a couple of times a year. Maybe even more than that, its a common occurance in their lives, right? And with food poisoning I read that by the time you actually vomit its too late for the vomitting to do any good anyway- the poisons already in your system, so its not actually necesary for your body to do that to get rid of it. Im not sure if that is correct, but it sounds logical, after all people dont usually get ill from food poisoning until some time after the foods been digested.