Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: TV and movies?

Default TV and movies?

How does on-screen vomit affect you? It's weird, because it depends for me.... like scenes that show nothing, but are intense scare the crap out of me, but like the scene with Steve Carell in Get Smart only gave me a little jolt before I was able to laugh at it. o__O It's like, as long as it's pretty short, if it's done comedically I'm perfectly fine with it after a moment. Sometimes I'll even rewatch that one part over and over just to relish in the fact that I can.. xD What's it like for everyone else?
    "There is nothing to fear but fear itself."

Default Re: TV and movies?

i can watch it.....usually with no problem.......only because i know i can't "catch it"......lol
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I can watch usually, but if it's really graphic it makes my stomach turn a little and I get that little moment of breathlessness. But if it's quick and not like, super close up or anything, I'm fine.

It used to bother me a lot. I went to the midnight showing of District 9 and had to leave. However I watched that movie just recently and did fine. I totally understand being disgusted and frightened by it, but luckily I'm not effected that badly anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

I'm able to handle it mostly now. I still tend to look away because I don't want to see it, the same way that I look away when there is a needle going into someone's skin. It is gross, but if I see it, it is no big deal, assuming that it isn't hugely graphic. If it happens, it happens.

What I CAN'T stand is when people act like they are sick on TV. In Bones, a character threw up in a trash can, which was no big deal (actually kind of funny because he didn't do it until Brenan told him that it was okay to vomit and she wouldn't think less of him, never known someone to wait for permission), but BEFORE that, he kept almost vomiting. He had several times when he almost threw up, but didn't. That actually bothers me MORE than when they just go ahead and throw up on TV.

It's nice to see everyone's point of view on this!
    @asianeko - It's great that you're doing better.

This might sound weird but if it's a comedy movie and someone throws up, I don't mind. But if it's a dramatic type movie I can't handle it. Does that make any sense? lol

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by kaiilyn_23 View Post
    This might sound weird but if it's a comedy movie and someone throws up, I don't mind. But if it's a dramatic type movie I can't handle it. Does that make any sense? lol
    I feel the same way!

If its really unexpected it bothers me, but if i expect it, no.

I can't handle it. I mean even if its like a really fake cartoon vomit ill jump a little. But if its more than that im disgusted and shaky. But if its supposed to be funny sometimes when i see it and im around other people ill laugh really hard so i cant hear it (e. g. in elf the movie when he throws up) I still freak though.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiilyn_23 View Post
    Haha I completely understand! It is strange, but that's exactly how I am lol.

I actually just watched another Farscape episode tonight that had really graphic (though totally fake) explosive vomit from a very large alien character named Pilot. It caught me off guard completely as he is usually a very cool and collected individual. It's funny to explain how I felt. It was completely revolting, but not because of my fear, because it showed him so vulnerable! It's funny how our perception of these things can change.

Quote Originally Posted by asianeko View Post
    I actually just watched another Farscape episode tonight that had really graphic (though totally fake) explosive vomit from a very large alien character named Pilot. It caught me off guard completely as he is usually a very cool and collected individual. It's funny to explain how I felt. It was completely revolting, but not because of my fear, because it showed him so vulnerable! It's funny how our perception of these things can change.
    Exactly! Especially when there's just a slight difference in one situation from another.

I am the same way as a few members ahead of myself. If it's a comedy and I know it's fake and I can tell it's fake, I'm okay.

I love Jackass, but they get sick a lot, and I CANNOT watch those scenes. I revert to the fetal position with a blanket or a coat or whatever I have covering my head, both fingers in my ears, and swishing them around so I can't hear or see anything.

Watching new movies/shows with potential for v* scenes is always a stressful ordeal! No matter what kind of movie it is, it bothers me. Someone above said something about having to leave during District 9..I had to do the same thing. I still feel a twinge of anxiety when I think about that movie. If you have trouble with movie vomit, DO NOT WATCH DISTRICT 9. Often times I will try to brave it out and go see movies with friends, which I think is good practice to facing my fear. But I always end up curled in a ball with hands over ears and eyes, breathing loudly to try and further cover the noise at any hint of vomit. It's very embarrassing and hard to explain to people.

V* in Tv and movies does effect me...sometimes it doesnt if its not too bad or if its only a split second.
    My heart starts beating fast and i get that lump in my throte... its so annoying tho cos its so hard cos v* is on so many things these days, the soaps, comidy movies and almost always in scary films, which i find the most annoying cos i love scary films But i know that if im goin to watch one to expect some sort of v* in it.
    I find it hard to get away from when it coems to TV and Movies and usually avoid the TV after 10pm....just in case...
    Grrr thie phobia sure does got me down...

Quote Originally Posted by gmm682 View Post
    Watching new movies/shows with potential for v* scenes is always a stressful ordeal! No matter what kind of movie it is, it bothers me. Someone above said something about having to leave during District 9..I had to do the same thing. I still feel a twinge of anxiety when I think about that movie. If you have trouble with movie vomit, DO NOT WATCH DISTRICT 9. Often times I will try to brave it out and go see movies with friends, which I think is good practice to facing my fear. But I always end up curled in a ball with hands over ears and eyes, breathing loudly to try and further cover the noise at any hint of vomit. It's very embarrassing and hard to explain to people.
    I'm actually the one who had to leave the Midnight showing of D9. I recently watched it again, and was totally fine! The film itself is AMAZING and well worth the watch. You don't need to watch him get ill, you can have a friend mute it and you can close your eyes, you just need to know that he does get ill.

I won't get into all the details about how terrified I originally was, and how long it took me to work up to seeing the film, because I already made a thread on that, which you can find here:
    http://www.emetophobia.org/showthrea...light=District

I really can't take any v* on tv/movies at all it's sick. I HATE when they show it, it really bothers me and often i'll get a panic attack and then I can't even see the rest of the movie at all! I'm so bad with that. I even go as far to ask people I know if they've seen a particular movie that I want to see to screen for v* LOL

Oh dear lord...last night. Watching Glee. It was freaking terrible.
    And I barely notice my emetophobia anymore. I can eat whenever and whatever I want, I rarely get panic attacks if I feel ill, I'm not paranoid of viruses...
    I was on alert, because this episode involved lots and lots of alcohol. But when Britney did eventually get sick, I endured the worst panic attack I had in three years; for the first time ever with this, I began to sob and couldn't get control of myself - which scared me more than anything, because I have gotten so good at controlling myself.
    It was the most terrible experience I had in a long while...but it's over now. Definately not watching that episode ever again (I tape it for my Mom, seeing as she works on Tuesday nights).
    I have just three things to teach: Simplicity, patience, and compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.- Lao-tzu

I cannot handle v* on TV or in movies. Even cartoon v* makes me feel a little uncomfortable. I'm often hesitant to watch a new movie I suspect might have a v* scene, so I always ask someone who's seen it first or I google it to make sure. When it happens I just close my eyes and plug my ears and grind my teeth to make sure I can't hear it. If I can tell it's going to happen and I have time to do that I am fine, as long as I don't have to see it or hear it. But if it happens out of no where and I don't have time to prepare it makes me so angry and upset I don't even want to finish watching the movie a lot of times (depending on how bad it was). It's really embarrassing when you're trying to watch something with another person, and you have to explain to them why you are closing your eyes and plugging your ears. Especially with my boyfriend. We live together so he is very used to it, but it aggravates him really bad and then in turn it makes me feel bad. Other people think it's funny. And it's definitely NOT funny. I don't know why a v* scene has to be in almost every movie. It has no purpose.

I love the movie district 9. But that is only because I could tell when he was about to v* so I just closed my eyes and ears. I am always on edge until after the 3rd time he does it at the party because I know that's the last time and then I can just relax and watch the movie. It's awful, isn't it? I completely sympathize.

Quote Originally Posted by CaityRenee View Post
    I love the movie district 9. But that is only because I could tell when he was about to v* so I just closed my eyes and ears. I am always on edge until after the 3rd time he does it at the party because I know that's the last time and then I can just relax and watch the movie. It's awful, isn't it? I completely sympathize.
    I really liked district 9 too, i watched with my brother and my boyfriend and my brother had watched it before and knew when he was gonna v* so when it was time i went upstairs and closed my eyes and stuck my fingers in my ears and rejoined the film after...what a good film it was tho

I hate it! and it seems like more and more places are using it! First, it became mainstream in movies... so I stopped watching movies but still watched TV. Then it was on every show, every channel. SO I started playing video games. Now its hard to even get a v* free video game. Although I am still terrified, I find video games slightly less realistic and easier to handle a surprise. Fallout 3 was my favorite for a long time, then New Vegas came out. I found out I have to be super careful on the vegas strip, and not to drink too much!
    Seriously though, even for non emets, many people say its gross and that they do not like it. My biggest bone to pick is prime time TV. Come on guys! People are eating, do you have to show it?

When I was a kid, I remember freaking out watching "Mission Impossible." There's a scene where they slip this guy an emetic and he loses it. He actually stays at work even though he's ill! I never understood how he could do it! But, I always muted that scene. You can't see anything, but it sounds gross. Oh, remember "Fear Factor"? I had to be careful watching that show. People eating disgusting stuff...buckets...ugh. Same with "Jackass." Can't do it.
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." - Alice in Wonderland

I think that there should be a warning before the programme starts,likethere is with violence or swearing.I find vting on tv more offensive than the other two,& there`s far too many unnesessary v scenes in films & tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrilla View Post
    I'm able to handle it mostly now. I still tend to look away because I don't want to see it, the same way that I look away when there is a needle going into someone's skin. It is gross, but if I see it, it is no big deal, assuming that it isn't hugely graphic. If it happens, it happens.

What I CAN'T stand is when people act like they are sick on TV. In Bones, a character threw up in a trash can, which was no big deal (actually kind of funny because he didn't do it until Brenan told him that it was okay to vomit and she wouldn't think less of him, never known someone to wait for permission), but BEFORE that, he kept almost vomiting. He had several times when he almost threw up, but didn't. That actually bothers me MORE than when they just go ahead and throw up on TV.
    Do you remember what episode of Bones this is?

Careful when watching the Health and Discovery channel and if you do, close your eyes or leave the room during commercials. I was watching the channel over the weekend and they were showing previews for an upcoming show. It shows a girl v all over the floor. It doesn't bother me when I see people v on tv/movies, but I know it would bother many emets. Beware.

Quote Originally Posted by olschesky View Post
    i can watch it.....usually with no problem.......only because i know i can't "catch it"......lol

Exactly the same here. I'm only scared of myself v*ing now.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ