Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Not yourself, but others...?

I used to be scared of others getting sick AND myself. I would cry and cry and cry and I would get sick everywhere because I never wanted to admit that I was sick (out of fear) until it was too late. I was a senior in high school, still crying for my mother when I was sick to my stomach.

I moved away to college and had to learn how to be okay with myself being sick. I am okay with being sick, although I am sick often. I don't vomit very much, but I have the dry heaves quite a bit, and am quite a hypochondriac.

I am okay with myself being sick, but I cannot be around others who are vomiting. Are many emetophopics okay with vomiting themselves but not others?

Default Re: Not yourself, but others...?

Yes, I am one of them, but I'm pretty sure it's rarer than those who are phobic about themselves.

The good news is it's easier to set up gradual exposure for our sort of emetophobia.

I'm not phobic about myself being ill. I get a little bit panicky but I think even non-emets get that, too. It's only if someone else is sick that I get really super panicky and have panic attacks.

I'm okay with others being sick. But me? Forget it. I do anything to stop it. Then when I actually get sick, I'm in shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I'm okay with others being sick. But me? Forget it. I do anything to stop it. Then when I actually get sick, I'm in shock.
    Same here, except this one time I was already having a panic attack and the lady near me V*ed... After that, I was a full blown mess.
    Umm excuse me emet, this is MY life and YOU don't belong here, back the hell off. <--my new attitude.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm alright when it's me -- but others freak me out! I think it's because I have NO CONTROL over the situation and "it" could happen at any time.

Is it true that we are easier to "fix" than those who fear themselves over others?

I think so because we can start slowly, drawings, pictures, sound, video, real life. How can someone who fears themselves v'ing do that? Make themselves feel a bit n? They have to tackle safety behaviours. Which is much harder IMHO. I mean, I would much rather look at a picture, knowing I can stop looking at any time, whereas if you didn't do one of your rituals you would worry about it for 2-3 days with no way of stopping it. Hope that makes sense, it's late here!

It makes perfect sense, and it makes me feel a little better about my recovery Thank you.

I don`t like anyone getting sick, & I`ll steer clear of anyone who seems likely to v, but it would be much worse for me to get sick, but luckily I`ve been able to avoid for years now.

ooh ooh me me!

I have no problem with myself being sick. I just can't handle when someone ELSE is sick around me. I start to go into ultimate panic mode. I just think it's gross.

I can't stand either. But it would be way more traumatic for me to actually v* myself. I hate the dread before you actually do 'it,' the panick when you know 'it' is GOING to happen, and the taste/smell/feeling when you actually get sick. I can handle my own v* better than someone else's (if I have to clean it up or look at it)... but I'd rather witness someone else v*ing than to actually v* myself. It's so funny how different all of us with our emet. Some are just scared of others doing 'it', some are just scared of themselves, some are scared of both, some like to have their mom or significant other RIGHT there, some want to be completely by themselves... the list goes on and on.
    Jennifer

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it! Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised IT WOULD BE WORTH IT!"

My Emet Vlog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by joeylynn View Post
    I'm alright when it's me -- but others freak me out! I think it's because I have NO CONTROL over the situation and "it" could happen at any time.

Is it true that we are easier to "fix" than those who fear themselves over others?
    this is exactly how i feel! i used to fear it all. the thing that broke me of fearing myself v* was having surgery and the pain medication made me sick. i remember how much i fought it, but i was so run-down from the surgery that i just couldn't fight it anymore. after that i've only feared others being sick because of my lack of control over the situation.

as for us being easier to fix, i think the treatment plan would be allot easier but the actual process would probably be just as nerve-wracking. even thinking about watching a video of some one v* makes my skin crawl.

Im more scared of others being s*, i didnt mind myself v*ing at the begining but now thats got worse as ive got older and i dont like that either, but id much rather be s* everyday than ever see another person v*. So yeah i fear more others v* than myself.

same here. i'm ok with myself v*. it's still unnerving and i do get a little panicky, but others...no way. def can't control that situation other than do what we do...run away fast lol

Quote Originally Posted by missmeagen View Post
    I used to be scared of others getting sick AND myself. I would cry and cry and cry and I would get sick everywhere because I never wanted to admit that I was sick (out of fear) until it was too late. I was a senior in high school, still crying for my mother when I was sick to my stomach.

I moved away to college and had to learn how to be okay with myself being sick. I am okay with being sick, although I am sick often. I don't vomit very much, but I have the dry heaves quite a bit, and am quite a hypochondriac.

I am okay with myself being sick, but I cannot be around others who are vomiting. Are many emetophopics okay with vomiting themselves but not others?
    OP: This has got me thinking,
    I would rather have this "spectrum" or aspect of emetophobia than what most of us have (e.g., fear of one's own self vomiting). Your case of emet is rare, but far less troublesome. I envy you.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    I don`t like anyone getting sick, & I`ll steer clear of anyone who seems likely to v, but it would be much worse for me to get sick, but luckily I`ve been able to avoid for years now.
    I am similar. My greatest fear is myself V*ing. I will go at any length possible to avoid myself V*ing. I avoid sick people like the plague, but only because I'm afraid of catching whatever they have. If I was immune to all illnesses causing V* as a symptom, I wouldn't mind being around sick people.
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog:

I am the same way. I am not as scared about myself v*tng as much as others. I panic when I see vomit.