Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Foods you can't eat because of emet?

I'm really only curious, because there's a few things I avoid now because of emet, or experiences with it, even if I loved it before! Is there anything specific you guys avoid, or no longer like, because of your emet or anything like that?

For me, I used to love rare steak, but as my phobia got worse and worse I had to develop a taste for well done. [I still like a tiny strip of pink, for a reason i'll mention below] I also avoid oysters, mussels and clams that aren't fried very well. I'm also very picky about the places I eat chicken from, and I avoid salad bars and buffets as much as possible. I love sushi, and I used to be perfectly fine eating the raw stuff, but lately my phobia has been getting a bit worse so i've been avoiding it.

But I CANNOT stomach red onions, black olives and uncooked spinach anymore. I LOVED both, but I had an sv* recently, after going to a salad bar, where I loaded up a spinach salad with black olives and red onions. I'll just say that the tastes no longer appeal to me. At all.

They also overcooked my steak there, so very well done steak now repulses me.

this is more of a gross out thing, than a paranoia thing, I think, but the oysters and the like are all from paranoia.

Also, I have 'safe foods' when I go out to certain places I frequent. Not because I'm afraid to try other things, but because these have never failed me. Mostly its turkey sandwiches, I find them so safe for some reason, lol.

Default Re: Foods you can't eat because of emet?

I cannot eat chocolate mud cake, and red cordial together. Ever. I got ill on that when I was little, and I'm not really even afraid of myself being ill. It's just a severe aversion!

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    I cannot eat chocolate mud cake, and red cordial together. Ever. I got ill on that when I was little, and I'm not really even afraid of myself being ill. It's just a severe aversion!

Right! that's why I can't eat the onions and olives and stuff. Not afraid it'll make me s* but just... ew. I just really avoid it.

Yeah, and if I DO have them together, I think it's weird, but the combination actually tastes like vomit to me. It's really disgusting! This is a good topic, it'll be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    Yeah, and if I DO have them together, I think it's weird, but the combination actually tastes like vomit to me. It's really disgusting! This is a good topic, it'll be interesting!
    Yep. Just smelling black olives makes me think of v*. And I bit into a red onion not long after, on a burger, and had to spit it out. It was to the point I gagged. I just don't think I can eat these things anymore. [the onions are the worst]

My grandma's spaghetti bolegnaseee.:/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For a long time I avoided lasagne, because I was ill as a child on holiday, and had eaten moussaka the night before, and lasagne looked like moussaka to me.

But now I have v'ed so many foods I can't avoid them all, with the restricted diet I'm already on, I'd have nothing left to eat! So although sometimes eating a food brings back unpleasant memories, I just remind myself that it's not the food's fault, and once I've 'successfully' eaten it once or twice, it's OK again.

I totally avoid Spaghetti and Meatballs (out of a can) because I got really sick one time and I remember seeing it come back up and swearing I'd never eat it again and I was really really young like 4 haha. I will never again eat Pizza from McDonalds (thankfully it's not offered anymore) I got really sick from it one time and ended up v* on the way to the cemetary during my uncles funeral. Now the last time I had a sv* I can't remember what I ate before it because it was hours before and I know it was a sv* because everyone at work got it at the same time that evening...30 of us but I was at the movies that night so I still go to the movies but it makes me nervous during flu season that I'll get sick when I get home like I did that night.

I will always avoid seafood (especially crab and lobster) and watermelon under any circumstances. I don't care if I'm on vacation and it's the only food available for hours, I won't eat it. I got really sick one night at about 4 years of age, I remember having a picnic that day and eating watermelon. That's all I could taste when I was getting s*.

I avoid seafood for obvious reasons, but also because the smell that stuck to my clothes hours after I got home from my grandma's house when she made a seafood dinner made me retch and gag over the toilet. Plus, seafood is one of those foods that never feel like they're cooked right.

If I can, I'll avoid fast food, most red meats, and other foods I consider 'unsafe' and 'contaminated'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I spent the entire night sick after eating McDonald's when I was six -- it is the event that made me an emet. When I was growing up, I absolutely refused to eat McD's, though I'd eat Burger King. As an adult, I still typically avoid McDonald's, although I have eaten some things off their menus like fries or a milkshake. I would say I'm about 75% recovered from being an emet (only a few things trigger me), but the one thing I absolutely can't ever see myself eating again is another McDonald's hamburger. Honestly, I really just don't like McD's or BK all that much anyway and it's not like it's healthy, so no big loss.

I know a lot of people who aren't emets who have foods they avoid because they got sick on them once. My mom isn't an emet and she doesn't eat hot dogs because she got sick after eating them when she was a kid. My doctor said it's actually a normal evolutionary reaction to avoid foods you got sick after eating because when prehistoric man ate something and got sick, it was in his best interest to avoid that food again because it could have been a poisonous plant or something that if ingested again might kill him. Anyway my doctor said that's why many people often develop such strong aversions to foods they associate with getting sick.

White milk, spicy doritos, alcohol, Taco Bell, hot dogs, and red meat in general.

Oh, and I never eat anything but the chicken at work (I work at McDonald's) and they cook it longer and fresh for me and temp it. haha I only eat at the one I work at, too. lol
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

I realized I forgot to mention lunchables and capri sun. Odd, because those are the foods associated with the event that made me emet.

Well let's see...

When I was emetophobic 24/7 nothing I ate was safe, so for months I ate literally nothing... except water and a bit of plain white bread here and there. I lost so much weight, I looked like those girls who are on death's door with anorexia nervosa... which I was misdiagnosed with, even though I kept telling the doctor, "I WANT to eat, I'm painfully aware of how sickly skinny I am."

Eventually I was able to eat salad (with oil and vinegar only), bread, plain baked potatoes, and any kind of green vegetable. I think this is because I could squeeze lemon juice or drizzle vinegar on most greens. Vinegar always made me feel safe. The only thing I could drink besides water was ginger ale.

Then I "graduated" to being able to eat anything except meat, chicken, fish, eggs, and anything milky/creamy.

Now I can eat anything I like, any time I like. Except if I have a dentist's appointment... then I can't eat ANYTHING until after the appointment.

I have to say, since I've added red meat, chicken, eggs and milk products back in my diet, I feel SO MUCH better. Stronger. Healthier. That chronic 24/7 dizziness/light headedness is gone.

well, for years it was brownies and chocolate pudding....In 1989, when I was a senior in high school.I made these microwave brownies when I got home from school..that night I ended up getting a stomach bug..I did not V*...but I had horrible stomach pains, n* and D*.

I always associated it with chocolate brownies and also pudding. Weird. I got over it in the 90's and I can eat all that again.

Then about 5 years ago....my boyfriend was in town (when we were still in long distance) and we went to dinner at Olive Garden his last night in town...and immediately after done eating...I got the stomach bug it started happening while sitting there..we had to leave. Again, no V* because I have trained myself not to...but it was a bad one with stomach pains, N* and D*.
    But I could not eat Olive Garden for some time... but I can now. But that is always in the back of my mind when going there. I do love the place though.

Now recently....since my boyfriend got so sick with SV* 3 weeks ago...I had made a homemade spinach salad that night and bean n bacon soup.... since he got so sick a few hours later... Now I cannot get myself to think of it...and obviously, neither can he. It is too bad....I loved spinach salad as did he. YUK!!
    I wish there was a vaccine that we can wipe out V* and stomach bugs altogether.
    I pray one day there is!!

Little Debbie's Brownies, Pizza Hut, McDonalds, basically any fast food place because I tend to get sick from them anyway. (an emet with a sensitive digestive system, God must have a sense of humor huh? lol) Ground beef pizza will forever be avoided by me. I ate it at Chuckie Cheese's when I was 4 and V*ed for a day and a half. NEVER AGAIN.

Right before my last SV I had eaten my favorite Blue Bell ice cream. It's called Mocha Almond Fudge and it's a flavor that is only available every year or so (maybe 14 months?). I didn't eat it for 2 years, but just recently I decided enough was enough (I knew it wasn't what made me sick) and I ate some. Nothing happened so I'm eating it again.
    Umm excuse me emet, this is MY life and YOU don't belong here, back the hell off. <--my new attitude.

Over the last 3 years I have eaten a very basic diet, however as the years have passed I have re-introduced more foods into my diet. I still avoid:
    all meat but chicken, peppers, onion, coleslaw, creamy foods, milk, lasagne, and a few more foods.

One day I hope I can eat any food I want and be comfortable to eat out instead of being anxious all the time!

Chinese Food, had a very bad experience with it in the 5th grade.
    It seems like many people have a V..$.# story about Chinese food.
    I will eat egg rolls though.
    Anything past the expiration date.
    Any meat not cooked to safe operating temp.
    Alcohol for obvious reason.

Any food prepared by anyone else during the "high risk winter time", restaurants included.
    I experience too much anxiety if I do, so I just avoid all together. Unless I can re heat it again like pizza for ex. to kill the possible Noro. I wish I weren't so weird about eating out but I do save a lot of money and fat gain ha ha.

I do eat out during the Summer though.

I won't eat peanut butter and jelly sandwichs. EVER. I used to eat then all the time when I was a kid. But then I got sick one day and that was the last time I ate it. I know it wasn't the sandwich that made me sick but I wont eat it ever again. Also this certain type of juice box. Can't think of the name but I can't drink that anymore either.

I can't eat mcdonalds chicken nuggets, a combination of carrots and orange juice, lasagna, and the brand little debbie because of horrible experiences when i was younger

Used to avoid chili and oatmeal like the plague (childhood v* experiences.) I've just begun eating both again within the last year or two.

I still avoid:
    *seafood
    *most fish
    *most salads
    *green onions
    *beef cooked any way except well done
    *leftovers past about two days old (especially rice or meat)
    *all alcohol
    *any temp-sensitive food that's been out at room temp for over 2 hours
    *milk and yogurt within 3-4 days of expiration
    *all food at buffet restaurants - ESPECIALLY salad/cold buffets

so... yeah... a lot of things. Add that to my history of anorexia, and you'll see why it's quite difficult for me to find acceptable food to eat sometimes... food that would be "okay" for one side of my brain is excluded by the other side, and vice versa.

I'm pretty certain the last sv* I had was from a china buffet. We were visiting my in-laws hundreds of miles from home and I fell sick one night and my mother inlaw got sick too. The buffet was the only thing her and I had in common because she was working most the time. So definitely NO buffets for me. Too many people around the food and touching the same utensils to plate their food. I also cannot eat italian sausage, I've been sick off of it twice and canned chili like Hormel.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolategirl View Post
    I can't eat mcdonalds chicken nuggets
    Oh as a child I had a horrible sv and ate some nuggets from mc d's. Lets say it took me years to realize it wasn't the nuggets fault but still a bad experience.

As strange as this may seem, I cannot eat penne pasta or anything resembling after v*ing after eating it with a red meat sauce. Even pasta with red sauce makes me anxious, but I can usually eat it if I feel safe and don't have anywhere to go afterward or early the next morning.
    Also, McDonalds ever since I got sick after eating there when I was around 7 (I'm almost 31) or hamburgers from anywhere other than home.
    There are many other things that I avoid due to being lactose intolerant as well as having IBS, but penne pasta has to be the worst - to the point where I can't even look at it in the supermarket and IF I can actually handle going to a restaurant with friends, I ask them not to order it and have made friends change their orders - how embarrassing!!

i dont like eating anything i last ate when i was sick. after i ate pizza one night i go a bug, cant eat pizza again. the last thing i ate when i had a virus was chocolate i have a soft spot for chocolate though so i still eat it, but when i do, i sort of feel uncomfortable. i took some buscopan when i had the same virus as well, but v* a short time after and i will not touch the stuff now if i have a tummy ache.

I also used to avoid anything that reminded me of v* like carrots or things of a certain colour.

I dont eat at fast food places. At the momet all im eating is fruit and veges because if i was every to fall ill again i will not have crap running through my gut like i did before. and i think that eating plety of those things will help your body to fight off bugs.

i enjoy eating meat ONLY if its from a trusted source. i cant cook so i dont cook it but if my dad, or granparents, or if im at a decent restaurant and quailified chef cooks it, then i can eat it.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Well, for a couple of years, I abstained from grape juice because I got a nasty stomach flu after Passover. However, I drink a lot of Pepsi, because I remember desperately requesting it right before I vomited (same flu).

Well when I was 13 I was going through a situation and was very depressed so I ate to comfort myself. This one day I decided to eat a whole bunch of Mrs. Field chocolate chip cookies, campbells chicken noodle soup, hot dogs, and this disgusting watermelon juice which made it even worse and I was really really sick and was vomiting so bad. I remember seeing the noodles in the toilet and I havent eaten campbells ever since. For a very long time i avoided eating hot dogs and chocolate chips but I will ocasionally eat hot dogs but Im not too big a fan of the cookies.

I can't eat cupcakes because one time i got sick from it

These days for me I can't eat prawns...and other shellfish, considering they made me very n* two weeks ago and then I stupidly ate them Friday night and actually retched for nearly 3 hours, about 4 hours after I ate them. I must be intolerant. Even thinking about them now makes me feel sick. Ugh!!

Otherwise I can pretty much eat anything really. I last v* in 1994 and at the time I remember I couldn't touch chicken and sweetcorn soup and fried egg sandwiches. What was odd is that I ate the sandwich and soup at least 6 hours before I v*, and 1.5 hours before I v* I had eaten ham sandwiches and ginger cake - but I never went off them. Maybe because I'd not properly digested them?

The sandwich/soup thing lasted years, especially the soup, until about 2007 probably. Now I can't get enough chicken and sweetcorn soup! Then again, after nearly 17 years, it's about time I went back 'on' it!!

As a chocoholic I'd be really upset if I had a bad episode with chocolate, or anything dessert-like!

["Chinese Food, had a very bad experience with it in the 5th grade.
    It seems like many people have a V..$.# story about Chinese food.
    I will eat egg rolls though." 5.Oben ] (I don't know how to insert quotes they way most of you gutys do...sorry) Funny because I'm okay with most Chinese food EXCEPT egg rolls. Aunt got sick after eating one one time and now I won't go near them.

I also avoid :
    ~ Red meat
    ~ Anything near the experation date
    ~ Tuna from any place other than home
    ~ Lobster
    ~ Anything rare or raw (sushi...YUCK!!!)
    ~ Things that have an acidy v* taste.
    ~ Cafeteria food or eating in the cafeteria at all
    ~ A certain type of soup noodle that made be s* one time and also long noodles because those could make me choke and gag.
    ~ Deli meats from places other than home - when I make the sandwich I know its fresh and deli meats go bad quick.
    ~ There are some others but not that I can think of at the moment.

seafood
    frozen pizza (made me sick once)
    sunny delight juice (made me sick)
    as of yesterday, Trader Joe's garlic bread, Trader Joe's bolognese sauce, and Home maid brand ravioli.
    also I don't eat out too much in general.....