Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: What's worse; vomiting/act of vomiting or dry heaving?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dry heaving

11 39.29%
  • Vomiting/Act of vomiting

17 60.71%

Thread: What's worse?

Default What's worse?

This is a random vote, but I'm wondering what people's takes are on this since I've heard mixed feelings. Do you think dry heaving is worse than actually vomiting, or the act of vomiting, or is vomiting/act of vomiting worse than dry heaving?

I can't really personally vote as I don't remember what it was like to vomit as I was three. But the other day I dry heaved, it hurt and it was actually really frightening. Also I had bronchitis a few years back, I was coughing so hard I was dry heaving, it HURT, it was scary and uncontrollable and horrible, ugh!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Default Re: What's worse?

I've never dry heaved (unless you mean retching right before vomiting -- and I only remember retching one of the three times I remember vomiting), so I had to vote for vomiting. Anyway, by definition, vomiting is the thing we're afraid of here, and dry heaving isn't vomiting.
    Last edited by gumdropper1; 02-08-2011 at 01:49 AM.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I dry heave heaps when I'm drunk and I actually don't mind it (though it's never much fun the morning after) and it happened in 2009 for the first time - sober - and I found it to be VERY scary. I was so worried why my body was trying to vomit and then I was worried that I couldn't vomit (stomach was completely empty) and yeah, it hurts. But I'd still have to say actual vomiting would be worse :-/

Well dry heaving hurts a lot worse... and while thats going on its like your waiting to just vomit and get it over with. at least once you vomit you feel better! So i might go with dry heaving...

I would say Dry Heaving is worse, because it hurts more, and you still feel like crap afterwards.

You may find these links helpful!

Omg dry heaving and gagging are so much worse than the actual throwing up I actually think throwing up is a relief
    This too, shall pass

I think I'm torn I really rather not do either one of those! I almost wanna say they are equal in my eyes! Although i did have a sv when i was younger and got sick so much there was nothing left and i dry heaved it was awful, So i drank water just so something could come up, So i guess that means dry heaving for me!

Actual vting is much worse, as you`re left with a horrible mess afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    Actual vting is much worse, as you`re left with a horrible mess afterwards.
    I agree! I've had dry heaves twice, and both times I was very thankful that I had not vomited. One time it didn't freak me out. I had dry heaves due to pain. Well, that meant that I was in so much pain that, frankly, I couldn't care less! The other time was due to illness and that freaked me out so bad because I thought that I was going to vomit. If I had assurance that I would NOT v and only have dry heaves, I wouldn't mind the dry heaves at all! (not that they are particularly pleasant, but they are much neater.)

I don't know, I've never dry heaved without v* before so I'm not sure. If I was sure I was just dry heaving and not going to v* then i would say it's not as bad as V*

i thinl dry heaving is worse than actually vomiting because it hurts and your just waiting for it to come and after it does you feel relieved.

I can't vote because the last time I dry heaved I was so sick I can't really rememer it. I don't think I was fully conscience but I do remember that during that whole bug I cried hysterically, panicking and, as if I was a broken record, repeating "I hate th***ing up"
    I was just as hysterical during both parts of the illness so I would assume they are equal.

Also, I just wanted to add that, the only time I dry heaved was after I had v* to the point where my stomach was empty. I have wretched before v* but it was not nearly the same sort of thing.