Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I bought a book last night called, "The Power of the Subconcious Mind". Wow is it teaching me alot of by the subconcious part of the brain! I have only read a few pages, but it is supposed to help you understand where phobias come from, and it teaches how to imbed the proper information into your brain. When I get more details, and learn new things, I will keep you all posted! I was so excited last night to read through it and see that we can change our thinking!!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Charlotte
    Spring is here!

Who is the author? I LOVE to read! Have you read anymore???[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Here in a few minutes, I am going to go back downstairs and try and finish off a chapter or 2 of it. I don't know the author off the top of my head, but I will let you know when I come back to give you some details of what the book says! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Charlotte
    Spring is here!

The author of the book is Joseph Murphy, Ph.D.,D.D.

Here are a few things he says about your subconcious mind..."The reaction or response you get from your subconcious mind will be determined by the nature of the thought or idea you hold in your conscious mind."

Also..."Whatever you habitually think, sinks down into the subconscious mind."

And..."If you get wrong information, your subconscious mind will accept it as true...it will then work to make that information correct".

Us as emets, are accepting negetive autosuggestions as a request. We need to turn these into positive autosuggestions by doing this:

"Three times a day, go to a quiet room alone. Sit comfortably in an arm chair (or bed) relax your body, and close your eyes. Still your mind and body the best you can. Tell yourself this: (or something you want to say to yourself)

"I am not afraid to vomit. Everyone vomits. It is the body's way of protecting itself." Tell yourself you are happy, outgoing, and nothing is going to stop you from carrying on your life the way you want to." I love myself. My subconcious has something planted in it, that was false information. I will no longer fear vomit."

You can say whatever you want to say, that will get planted into your subconcious, the same way emet was planted there. Your concious part of the brain believed for some reason, that vomiting was dangerous...well try and mend it the same way!

You must feel what you are saying to yourself! If you don't, then they are just words. Your subconcious needs to believe what you are saying, and by that, your concious (rational part) part of the brain, must feel it.

A gal in this book had a fear of singing opera in front of people. After doing that exercise three times a day, after one week, she was completely poised and confident, and she gave a wonderful audition.

This book goes on and on, and I haven't gotten too far in it yet. I thought I would share some of what I have read. I think the hardest part to this, is getting your concious mind to believe it. I guess even if we "pretend" we feel that way, it will work also?? Anyways, I am going to try it. I know it may sound like some miracle cure, but I can see where it really does make sense. I am keeping an emet journal now to see if there is any change after I start doing the exercise. Let me know what you all think!!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Charlotte

Spring is here!

Thank you for sharing that with us Charlotte, sounds very interesting, might go out and get it!!!

[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

that's some good info, in my situation, my concience knows that v isn't that big of deal. but my subconcience doesn't.

mindy

carmagnet-that is great that your conscience knows that v isn't that big of a deal..now you just need to convince your subconcious mind! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Spring is here!

I just bought the book from amazon.com just need to wait for it.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Sounds interesting!

I know v* is not that big of a deal. I just dont wanna have to deal with 2 v* kids all over the place and me end up v*... who will take care of my kids? The anticipation of knowing I will get sick if my kids do is what make me SO anxious. If I have a surprise visit from a stomach virus I just go with the flow. I hate the idea of KNOWING that it is lurking and it might "get" me!

UGH[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

My fear is geared more towards others being sick. It is scary knowing I might, but I fear others more.

Whatever it is you fear (others v'ing, elevators, failure) you do the same exercise. I will tell you right off, that the book also talks alot about "wealth is all in the mind", success, etc...very intersting stuff!! It has tons of helpful stuff to help you change the way you think about things!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Carmagnet-that is great that you bought the book! I think it will help you. I must say, that I tried the "meditation" exercise last night for an hour (when I went to bed) and 3 times today, for 5 minute intervals.

It was really wierd...When I woke up, it was a bit different for me. Normally after I get up and have breakfast, then my day of fun with emet starts in. I worry about my 14 month old, watching for signs of anything, I just look for things to be anxious about! Not today!!!!! It is hard to explain, but it was sort of like my mind is in "limbo" or something. It was craving for anxiety, and everytime I would gear towards worry, my mind would say, "worry about what? Worry needless worry about emet?" Emet seemed like "old news" and sort of a boring subject...I really can't explain it.

I must say though, that I didn't panic once today, or worry at all about emet, or even look for the signs of anyone v'ing; AND all 5 of my kids were here today! I am normally an anxious wreck (with emet) when they are here. I even washed my hands only twice today! (besides bathroom visits; normally I am obsessive about it)

I guess I am just saying, that so far, so good. I have told myself many times, that I no longer fear vomit/vomiting. I welcome the stomach bug with "open arms". I know it sounds crazy, but my mind is really thinking that that is the way I feel..and by golly...I am starting to feel it!!!! NO KIDDING!! I may be starting an online emet journal through this process with me, but I won't know for sure for another day or so. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Charlotte
    Spring is here!

OH I'm so excited for you, I've always believed that the mind can over power just about anything. So I know it will work for me.

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Great carmagnet!!! I never really realized how true it is, that the mind can really over power you!! I should have known, since emet has overpowered my mind...now it is just time to put it in reverse!!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Charlotte
    Spring is here!

Book update- So far, things are still going good. My mind was emet-free all day! My mind is still in limbo, ya know...not completely "healed" but not worried at all! I had a moment today where my first instinct was to worry about vomit, but I over came it. You see, my husband and I dropped off my 5 and 7 year olds backoff at their dad's house, and my "normal" routine would be to panic after I said bye to them....thinking back to how they acted in the car, wondering if it was a sign of sickness etc. My mind would fill with worries about "why did Alex not want to eat?"...or "why did Angela lay on the couch for a bit?"...things like that.

Well after we dropped them off, it was out of habit that I started to think about that stuff. Once I caught myself thinking about that, I shifted my thoughts to "I no longer fear vomit, vomit does not scare me anymore...emet no longer runs my life." Ya know what?? After that, I sighed a big sigh of relief, knowing, that that would be the last time we would drop them off, and I would think that way.

Everything has been great today. I no longer worry about touching my eyes, nose, or mouth....even if I didn't just wash my hands. I catch myselftouching my facequite a bit now. I also achieved another emet goal tonight without even thinking twice....I wanted my 12 year old to try my salad dressing on my salad, so I said, "here Megan, taste this", and she did, and I ate on the same fork afterwards!!! My daughter even said, "what?? You mean you are going to eat on the same fork I just took a bite off of?" I just kinda laughed and never said a word....it was great. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I must say though, my 12 year old had a cold last week with painful glands, and yep...you guessed it!! I have a terrible sore throat now, and I have a slight fever. I even used to worry about getting sore throats because I thought I may vomit, but not anymore....I will just take my tylenol PM, and go to bed early!!

I will keep you all posted on any new achievements with this book! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Spring is here!

Char...

Did you find that book here in town, or did you have to order it? Sounds like something that worth a try.

Let me know...and Congrats on your progress so far.

msn IM: Abbey_Normal

abby_normal- It was wierd how I found this book!! LOL! My husband, kids, and I all went to Walmart Friday night so my kids could use their gift cards they had gotten for Christmas.

Well, I was just browsing around the book section, and there it was...all by it's lonesome...LOL! The ONLY book that was even close to being related to fear/anxiety. I read the back, and noticed that it had said something about getting rid of phobias (or fears)...so, I tossed it in the cart thinking "another miracle cure book!" It costed me all of $9.99!!!

So....yes, Walmart here in town. The newer one on 99th or 100th?? [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Charlotte
    Spring is here!

$9.99!!! this book is gunna cost me £16.00 ($32.00)!!!!! ahhhh england is so expensive!
    Anyway, well done on your progress char sounds really good for you, i like your book updates its nice to know you're doing well, its inspirational! Keep goin' !
    faith xxx
    \'I know it aint easy, but thats okay because we\'re hopeful....\' - Faith Evans

hey Charlotte,can i just ask is the book" the revised book",as in has it a blue front page or is it white with a face of a women on it,as i have found it on amazon,and the UK site shows the white front and the us site shows a blue front with the words written" The power of the subconscious mind" revised book?

as its £7.19 or about that on the UK site

thanks Vicky x

Thank you so much I love these kind of books!!!!! I can't wait to go out and get it.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyvicky

hey Charlotte,can i just ask is the book" the revised book",as in has it a blue front page or is it white with a face of a women on it,as i have found it on amazon,and the UK site shows the white front and the us site shows a blue front with the words written" The power of the subconscious mind" revised book?

as its £7.19 or about that on the UK site

thanks Vicky x

The cover of the book is white, and it only has words that say "The Power of Your Subconcious Mind". Below the title says "One of the most powerful self-help guides ever written! Now revised & expanded"

I hope I have answered your question. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Charlotte
    Spring is here!

Quote Originally Posted by faith-marilyn
    $9.99!!! this book is gunna cost me £16.00 ($32.00)!!!!! ahhhh england is so expensive!
    Anyway, well done on your progress char sounds really good for you, i like your book updates its nice to know you're doing well, its inspirational! Keep goin' !
    faith xxx

Geeees, that is expensive!!! But, sure is alot less than treatments! LOL! I was wrong about the price...on my book it says $9.75...lol! Gotta love Walmart I guess...LOL!!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]I will be updating on my day, later tonight...sometime after my night class. Thanks for the kind words!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Charlotte
    Spring is here!

Quote Originally Posted by guliegirl
    Thank you so much I love these kind of books!!!!! I can't wait to go out and get it.

Great!! I am excited to see if everyone gets the same results as me!!! How exciting!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Charlotte
    Spring is here!

Cool, Char...thanks, I'll have to try that one...or the next time I am at the other new one on 132nd near my place.
    msn IM: Abbey_Normal