Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs up Red wine can prevent food poisoning

Research shows that red wine can combat potentially-fatal food poisoning bugs.

E coli, Salmonella and Listeria are all susceptible to the effects of red wine, and Helicobacter pylori, a stomach ulcer-causing bug which is spread through food and drink, is particularly vulnerable.

The study, carried out at the University of Missouri in the US, showed that Cabernet, Zinfandel and Merlot are particularly effective in fighting food-borne bugs.

White wine, however, has no effect.

The researchers told a Chicago conference that their findings added to mounting evidence about the health benefits of a glass or two of red wine.

Dr Azlin Mustapha, a food scientist, said: "Our study is a little different than those previously reported."

Those studies promote moderate red wine consumption for cardiovascular diseases.
    "We went a step further and asked: If red wine is already good for cardiovascular diseases, what about food-borne pathogens?

"If you get a food-borne illness and drink red wine, will that help decrease the symptoms a little bit?

"This study showed the pathogens were inhibited by red wine."

She said that although the alcohol in wine may act against the bacteria, other factors such as acidity may have an effect.

The chemical resveratrol, which is found in grape skins - which are removed when making white wine - is also thought to have an important role.

However,wine-lovers are warned not to overdo it.

Dr Mustapha said: "I wouldn't go out and keep drinking red wine to the maximum but the recommended consumption of wine is one glass of wine for women, and two glasses for men per day."

Default Re: Red wine can prevent food poisoning

This is interesting because my father has always had a glass of red wine with his meals and he's never had any kind of stomach issues -- ie food poisoning or stomach viruses. Ever. And he's not a big hand washer or anything like that.

That's cool! Too bad I probably won't like it. I haven't like many alcoholic beverages.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

well your father and I are identical! I drink red wine everynight ( a glass or 2) im almost 34 and never had any of the above and I eat everything I want...but I started drinking red wine when I was 24...so I was lucky the 1st 24 years of my life...

Ha! I read about this study a while ago and now make a point to order red wine if I find myself in a shady restaurant (sanitation grade lower than 93...in NC we're lucky enough to have clearly displayed ratings!) or if I suddenly become paranoid about the food I'm eating.

What's Listeria? :S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't drink but maybe I should start doing lol