Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Anyone Have Any Tips?

So my dental surgery is only days away now. After surgery I'll have to be on a course of anti inflammatory medication, antibiotics, and probably Tylenol 3 for about a week I've been told. To my dental-emetophobic mind this sounds like a recipe for nausea and vomiting.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be able to do to avoid or manage any nausea and or vomiting from these meds?

I really don't want to be in pain, swollen, AND nauseous and vomiting, if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

Default Re: Anyone Have Any Tips?

Have you asked if they will prescribe you some strong anti emetics? After all, if you just had mouth surgery, the last thing you want to be doing is vomiting, regardless of whether you have a phobia.

Though bear in mind, I was on antibiotics, and 60mg codeine (not sure how much is in tylenol 3s) and with a shot or two of morphine, and still didn't get nauseus. So it's not a given!

Thanks Rebecca.

They said I can take Gravol (an over the counter anti-emetic) with the meds if I need to, but that will make me more groggy than the Tylenol alone. That's not a big deal, I'll just sleep it off if that's the case.

I've had Tylenol 3 before, and it made me vomit. I think I'd rather endure whatever pain's involved than do that again.

My advice is eat whenever you take the pain meds. And, take a steady dose of acidopholus (my doctor recommended Florastor) while you are on the antibiotics. Good luck!!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Thanks Harmony. I'm not even sure all these meds are really necessary.

I suppose it's better to take the anti inflammatory and antibiotic meds to prevent an infection occuring than to let one develop and have to sort it out. Having said that, if you feel the pain meds aren't necessary, then go for it, and just have plain tylenol. Or maybe one tylenol 3 and one regular so you're not having as much codeine.

You're right Rebecca. Better to prevent a possible infection, for sure. I don't plan to take any pain medication unless I absolutely have to. I have a pretty high tolerance for physical pain, so we'll see.

This is a huge step for me - the last of my emetophobic "mountains" to move. If I can get through this without freaking out and having a major setback, I will be doing cartwheels down the street LOL... because then I can really say I am completely 100% emetophobia-free.

I responded to this in another thread -- but just because you're PRESCRIBED a pain med doesn't mean you have to take it. I've been prescribed -- jeez, I don't remember, some sort of narcotics -- several times for post-surgical pain and just refused to even take the Rx. I never needed it either, I'm pretty ok with Advil (and I kind of feel like having a little pain is a reminder to stop doing stuff and rest and let your body heal!! A lot of pain isn't good though because it can interfere with healing). I'd say don't panic yet, you may not NEED the T3's, and I bet if you tell your dentist "I vomit with T3, can I have a different narcotic or antiemetics?" he'd give you them.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.