Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Pregnant!?

Question Pregnant!?

Hello friends,
    I am 6 weeks pregnant and I just wanted to share with you what I have been going through.

Normally everyone thinks. "OH NO! Pregnant! I'm going to have morning sickness!!" For me, I haven't had any yet in the 6 weeks. In the morning I feel the same as when I wasn't pregnant, maybe a little bit more fatigued. Smells do bother me but not enough that I feel sick or anything. I don't know if I am just lucky? I wake up every morning in FEAR that TODAY WILL BE THE DAY that the morning sickness starts. So far so good. I just had a question to the mothers out there (or fathers who were there for support during a pregnancy) is this normal that I am not feeling sick yet? I know its still early and that the morning sickness might come, but I am just kind of praying that I am the lucky 20% that doesn't have this symptom because living with emet will not make that easy for me. Any advice or comments are welcomed. Thank You!

Emjay

Default Re: Pregnant!?

Some people go through their entire pregnancy with no morning sickness at all. Usually it starts around the two months mark, from what I heard. My sister only had morning sickness for two weeks, during which she only actually v*d twice, and then only because she slept in [sleeping through the early n* stages] and didn't eat soemthing to settle her stomach. After those two weeks it never happened again. Certain smells still make her stomach turn, but she no longer feels n*.

I think if handled right, you could probably avoid v*ing at all during pregnancy! :] Its also perfectly normal for you not to feel s*! Just be glad!

Oh! And congratulations!

I have heard that for some people it never hits, some ppl have it the whole time (!) some people get it around 8-12 weeks (first trimester is usually worse) but each person is different. My mom had both my sister and I and only got mild nausea and sick once each time...not bad!

First of all-CONGRATS!
    I did experience morning sickness but never V*. It started while I was at a pro football game in Dallas and I thought I was getting the SV*. My daughter's father said..."oooh I bet you're pregnant"-I thought "oh no" because the first thing I thought about was V* (pretty sad huh)-anyway I never did! (oh and I was 6 weeks then) I did however take Lorazepam a coupleof times during my first trimester to get me through the panic about morning illness. I felt many times that I was going to V* but never did. You can talk yourself through it and also get those non medicated "sea bands" (they sell at walmart)-they do work as an anti-emetic with out drugs.-I truly believe you would have V* by now if you were going to (like if you were truly prone to morning illness)-keep your foods mild-nothing over the top greasy or spicy-You will do well! Also other people told me they V* during labor-that may be common but only for people who are true V*%^#ers. I had 23 hours of labor and no V*. Good luck!

one other thing...if you ever HAD to V*-what better reason than for that precious little one in your belly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kbscared View Post
    one other thing...if you ever HAD to V*-what better reason than for that precious little one in your belly!!!
    THIS!! This is the only reason I would be willing to vomit. I will tolerate it for my child.

Another tip is ginger candy, it really helps! My sister was feeling sort of nauseous when I visited her, and I had just bought some candied ginger [I like it, but I was also nervous about the plane ride home the next day] and I gave her a piece and she was fine in ten minutes!

I didnt feel pregnant until week 7 and 8. Thats when ms can start. I never v* my whole pregnancy. Congrats!

i had no morning sicknes with any of my children. I had aversions to smells and the deli counter at the supermarket would give me a little wave of the yuckies but never got sick. iwth my first child for about 2 weeks i felt nauseas at night, but i just sucked on preggie pops and the Pregnancy Bible (BEST pregnancy book BTW, and Ive read them...so are the Girlfriends Guides)...Congrats to you! Enjoy every second

Congratulations!! I'm sure you'll be fine
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Congrats!!! I never v* when I was pregnant. I felt "yucky" for about a week around the 10 week mark. But I wouldn't call it n*. Just didn't have an appetite and when I was hungry, nothing tasted good. N* can be triggered by low blood sugar in pregnancy so make sure you always keep something in your stomach. I would start the day out eating a granola bar before I even got out of bed. I kept them on my night stand.
    The only other time I felt bad was when the heartburn kicked in. I had it REALLY REALLY REALLY bad and sometimes the acid would make me feel yucky. But again, keep food in your tummy. Milk or yogurt really helped the heartburn.
    And I didn't v* during labor, which some women do. Or during my c-section which is also somewhat common. It's possible. I promise!

If and when you develop morning sickness, you will just get used to it. I know, hard to believe, but true. With my first I DID v*, alot. I was N* with number 2, but never v*. I started taking something for the ms around week 8 with number 1, and it helped alot. With number 2, I got an RX IMMEDIATELY. Some friends I have, never got it at all. It all depends on the person. CONGRATS!
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

I only had nausea during weeks 7 and 8. I *could* have V* a few times but withheld. I found that when I got that nauseaus cold sweaty feeling, if I just sat still and sucked on a breath mint, it would go away.

I felt bad the first 12 weeks as soon as i hit the 12 week mark i was starving all the time. So if you do get it it won't last too long i think. I only know of 2 people who felt sick the whole pregnancy and they had bad ms from the beginning so you will be fine i would say.

I had four kids and no morning sickness at all. Trust me if I had it with the first I may not have made it through 4 pregnancies LOL It's totally normal. People used to tell me you are supposed to throwq up or there's something wrong with the pregnancy but that's not true. All my kids turned out just fine

Unhappy Re: Pregnant!?

Quote Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
    but I am just kind of praying that I am the lucky 20% that doesn't have this symptom because living with emet will not make that easy for me. Any advice or
    Emjay
    i do believe that 50% dont get morning sickness.....ive had 3 kids...no morning sickness but with my youngest, my anxiety go so bad i stopped eatting and drinking. had my daughter 3 months early cause my body was shutting down....dont let that shit get to you.......i know, easier said then done, but its so horrible to see your baby hooked to a bunch of wires, not being able to hold or touch her and know that its your fault shes in there....
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

oh...try not to take too many anti-emetics...it will make you constipated and will make you feel sick.........
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

Thank you all for your kind words and expierences. I am 8 weeks today and havent even felt n* enough to v*. Its more of a mind over matter thing that i'm doing. I just keep telling myself, nah, you're fine. And it helps. Unfortunately for me though, I am having complications with the pregnancy. I am starting a new thread to talk about it and I would love those of you who are interested to give me your advice. Thank you.

Emjay