Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What triggered your emetophobia?

OK, The farthest back i can remember is when i was in year 1... (not sure if i had this phobia before then but pretty sure this is the earliest experience)

It wasn't me, it was my best friend in year 1, and not sure if you have them where you are but there are these ice creams that used to be called "jokers" and they were like bubblegum icecream, blue, pink and green - anyhoo... we were doing some project at our desks in groups and there were egg cartons and seeds in them and my best friend at the time v* all over the table after lunchtime and it was the colour of this icecream (which i never ate from that day onwards) and she was hysterically crying and shaking the whole time, and i was the one who HAD to walk her to the front office where they were going to call her parents etc ... - I don't actually remember feeling any fear when she was sick at the time, i think watching the way she reacted with that situation it must have triggered a receptor in my brain to think "This is how you handle the situation".

So i THINK that is why i have the fear and i freak out at the thought of being sick because that's the way i thought you reacted?? if you know what i mean.

I don't know, that's my take anyways, and my old pshycologist i went to years ago said that to me also, but that truely honestly is the earliest story i remember so i'm pretty sure that bitch gave me the phobia!!! hahaha

As a little kid i threw up loads and didnt think much of it, just did it and didnt think about it again. When i was about 7 my mum had a bad migraine (shes always suffered with them so she knew it wasnt a virus) she shut me out the garden to play so i wouldnt see or hear her being sick but i heard her violently retching through the bathroom window, it frightened me badly as i had never seen my mum really ill before. Im sure it stems from that as since then i used to get really panicky if i thought i was ill, never overeating and avoiding sick friends, it got progressively worse as i got older as did the ocd and anxiety about busy public places, being in a room with lots of people etc. I am better than i was but i wish i could be cured, it is a very delibitating phobia to have. If i wasnt scared of vomiting my life would be perfect. If somebody said to me would you rather have a million pounds in cash or be cured forever of this phobia id choose to be cured, seriously!!!!

I became emetophobic at the age of 10, it was the early hours of Good Friday in 1999. My brother had been ill a day or two before and now it was my turn. I had no idea what a 'virus' like that was and my mum certainly didn't isolate my brother from the rest of the family...so I woke up during the night, went to the toilet to pee and t*u* on the floor. No n* (that I remember), just v*. It happened probably 4 or 5 more times that night and then I was fine, but dehydrated the following day. Easter that year sucked. I'm now 22 and it hasn't happened since. I did v* once from alcohol in 2005 but I was SO wasted, I did not care. I have d*h* many times though, the most recent being 2009.

I guess this phobia has developed because I rarely ever did the deed. My brother v* sometimes from food or migraine or something...but nobody in my family really get ill. My dad hasn't v* in about 20 years, my mum hasn't for over 10. I guess it's just scary to me :-/

Yes, mine started when I was 10 and had some sort of "flu." My doctor gave me medicine with codeine in it, and it made me REALLY sick. I think it was the uncontrollable feeling I got and the fear, and not having anything left in me (ick). From then on I didn't want to go to school, felt nervous and nauseous all the time, didn't eat enough, and worse and worse until I had to be hospitalized from malnutrition.
    Then I was o.k. until I was 16 and got sick again, and it triggered everything again. Another hospitalization from losing too much weight, tons of anxiety, rituals, etc.
    Thank God I am much better, but this fear is with me everyday in every way...

I've always been prone to anxiety, but when I was 25 I got sick on a roadtrip and never got better. I had developed anxiety as a result of being ill. So I had anxiety (and was medicated and treated for that) for many years after, but not e-phobic until I had a child. When she developed Rotavirus at age 3, I spiraled out of control. Had to be medicated and treated again because I was having attacks and losing weight. I'm currently unmedicated and have a second child. E-phobia is part of my life, all the time, but I try... TRY to behave like a normal person. Well, I try to do normal things, but I have a lot of anxiety about it and use a lot of cleaning products.

What triggered my emetophobia is when I was 10 my cousin got really drunk one night it was a Friday I was home he was supper drunk. The next morning he woke up and started v* all over I was okay then it got worse he went into the bathroom and he puking all day. I locked myself in my room and tried to listen to music it got worse and he called me to get him a bottle of water I did and when I threw it to him he vd* on the floor and I yelled and ran outside the front door and had a panic attack I was recently before then I think I was about 8 with panic disorder. It was so scary.