Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Has anyone felt this way? Should i go see a doctor?

Hi, im 17 and my name is Sophie

So.. i'm on my period and for some odd reason everytime i start, i feel nauseas on a regular basis (tmi, but sometimes i get diarhea too ]: ) Honestly.. i don't mind it but i will do ANYTHING to not throw up. It's 9:36 pm now, and im feeling nauseated.. I'm scared because i ate about 3 garlic balls. They're yummy garlic bread but in balls. My friend Mel once told me that she choked on bread while she was throwing up and now im terrified.. Also i have a slight burning sensation, i don't have any medicine but is this something that i should go to the hospital for? Oh! and also, I always feel anxiety and nausea at night time. Always always always at night, every night even if i didn't eat anything to trigger this. Is this mental? or Physical? I get so nervous every night so i make sure i don't eat dinner ]: my mother doesn't understand 'emetaphobia' so she thinks i'm just purposely starving myself. If i tell the doctor that what's he going to do? especially if its phsycological. Thank you [:

Default Re: Has anyone felt this way? Should i go see a doctor?

I totally get very nauseous (And I def. get diarrhea) on my period too. Ironic how that would happen to people with a phobia of V*ing I keep anti-nausea medicine with me for it now. It's on the shelf and it's called Emetrol. My doctor said both were normal period symptoms, even if I hadn't had them years before. (I'm 20 and this just started a year ago.) If you're hungry it's very normal to feel nauseous and have a burning sensation...trust me, I've been there, hardly ate anything for 6 weeks until I finally got to my wits end and ate a full meal and waited to V*...only it never happened. A lot of it is psychological, but not eating and stress will make you feel nauseous too. My doctor gave me anxiety pills to see if they helped, but I hated them. So I started praying and doing yoga and things are MUCH better. I hope things turn around for you soon. Good Luck!
    Umm excuse me emet, this is MY life and YOU don't belong here, back the hell off. <--my new attitude.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yes, those can be pretty normal symptoms for your period.....sucks being female sometimes. i agree with music above post. you really should eat......it doesn't have to be a huge meal.....eat samll meals during the day.....having an empty stomach can make you n and cause that burning feeling.......you might have a bit of indigestion from the garlic balls.....but it won't make you v.......

do you have any hot tea? get some peppermint or ginger tea......i prefer ginger tea.....it's good for settling a nervous tummy.......and i find it quite relaxing in the evenings........

let your mom read the information section at the top of the forums list.....it explains emet and the scariness we can feel from it. it might help to her better understand how you're feeling
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thank you for replying means a lot. Its currently 9:11PM lol weird, but I'm feeling even worse then last ngiht and im cold sweating because my stomach feels pretty bad... Like SUPER BAD ]: I'm so nervous im trying to reassure myself that this isnt real n* just my anxiety.. Also i hate being around people when i feel n* does anyone else feel this way? Does that emetrol help a lot? Does it get rid of chronic nausea 100%? Oh and has anyone actually thrown up recently? And it wasn't so bad, because it's all in our heads until we actually do it and we think that wasn't so bad.

Sorry for so much questions, I just want to do anything to keep myself from throwing up. Has anyone wondered if this fear is actually the feeling of nausea itself? Or the actual throwing up? Because now that i think waaay back, i think the nausea felt worse then the actually throwing up. But idk, im just trying to make myself feel better right now. Thank you for the support [: god bless~

the burning sensation is stomach acid when you dont eat you probably get acid reflux like i do because the stomach acid has no food to work on. i think nausea is worse than the actual vomiting because it is like impeding doom in a way like letting you know you are about to face your nemesis the fear of the unknown. its like nerves before a job interview the interview is always magnified to the extreme and its never as bad as you think itll be!
    ...The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step

I always feel nauseous for some reason when it's that time of the month too. Not sure why. The diarrhea is from reataining water before that time of the month. Sorry to hear that. It's so uncomfortable and it makes you dread that time of the month.

I get extremely sick during my periods (Im 18).
    Going to a doctor will help, they'll tell you how to feel better, maybe hook you up with some BC, but its normal.

The emetrol definitely helps me with my period nausea. I can actually go to school and function because it makes me feel so much better. I take that and Advil. I can't take Midol because the caffeine only sends me into a jittery panic and then I have to take Xanax. My doctor advised me to consume as little caffeine as possible and it's helped me SO much. So I keep a bottle of Emetrol in my purse during that time and when I take it, I only take one tablespoon and I sip it slowly. I kid you not, 5-10 minutes later I feel fine. And the best part of all, it's cheap! lol
    Umm excuse me emet, this is MY life and YOU don't belong here, back the hell off. <--my new attitude.

Oh and yes, I hate the nausea more than anything. It's like because it makes you feel so uncertain and uncertainty scares me. Your stomach is probably going to hurt and burn until you eat something and I know that seems so stupid, but I did the same thing for weeks. The longer you wait the harder it is for your body to adjust to food again (at least in my cases) BUT, start slow. Just have some crackers, or a little yogurt. For a week all I ate was Cheerios without milk. It sucks I know, but it does get better.
    Last edited by musicXfashionXsugar; 02-10-2011 at 02:31 PM.

The same thing happens to me. Its normal!

I'm sorry to know that this happens to other people, but relieved at the same time, if that makes sense? Now I know that the n* feeling and d* during this time of the month is normal, even though it is horrible for us emets.