Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question About to travel abroad - afraid of "what if"s

I'm an American, and I have a month-long trip planned for Europe later this year, several months from now. I saw some disturbing pictures on the internet, purely by chance, of certain "specialty" receptacles in restrooms.. for v'ing. Don't know what country they were from, specifically, but someone had said that they had those in Germany. Is it because of the alcohol potency, or are travelers frequently ill because of the change in food/food quality? I guess food poisoning is my main concern, as I'm not a drinker of alcohol. I just don't care for it. If I get the chance I might sip a foreign alcoholic beverage out of curiosity, but not enough to be drunk. So definitely foodborne illness is my only real concern. I was wondering if anyone has had any relevant experiences or if you have any advice for extended vacations abroad. Things to do, ways to avoid that kind of illness, etc.

Default Re: About to travel abroad - afraid of "what if"s

I'm currently trying to get to study abroad and I'm dealing with with the same questions. So far all I know is drink bottled water, and don't get ice in any of your drinks (soda whatever)
    Umm excuse me emet, this is MY life and YOU don't belong here, back the hell off. <--my new attitude.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It might take a while to get used to the food while you're there, but it usually takes the form of loose bowel movements. Perhaps it's just there, just in case. I don't think that you're any more likely to vomit in Europe than you are in the US

EDIT: And guys, europe's water is fine. I drank their water, and I was fine. No problems to speak of.
    Last edited by KaydeeJayde; 02-09-2011 at 11:24 PM.

I've never ever heard of speciality receptacles to be sick in and I live in Europe!! Are you sure they were serious? Or if it was Germany are you sure they weren't something instaleld temproarily for the Oktoberfest Beer Festival? You do get some toilets on mainland Europe that are the "hole in the floor" type but they are getting more and more rare these days.

People in Europe aren't sick any more than people from the USA, and tbh the food is pretty similar too.

The water is clean too but sometimes the difference balance of minerals in it can upset your tummy (although this would be the runs rather than being sick) so you'd probably be best sticking to bottled water to be on the safe side.

You might also want to avoid salads for the same reason and stick to cooked foods, although not strictly necessary, it might give you more peace of mind?

Honestly, Europe is just as modern and up to date in matters of food safety as the US

What countries are you planning on visiting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i also live in the uk and see no difference in food health between here and america? ive never seen a vomiting recepticle i think vomiting is more likely from alcohol in europe as it has more teenage binge drinkers the age for alcohol is younger than the states.
    ...The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step

just dont mix your alcohol. or overdo it and ull be fine
    ...The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step

I have been to Germany and never seen a 'speciality receptacle'! Though you will be pleased to know public toilets in Germany are sooo clean! They are either self cleaning (a thing comes out the wall and the toilet seat spins round so it gets sanitised) or someone comes in after you've been and disinfects the seat for the next person! You are expected to pay though.

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek View Post
    I've never ever heard of speciality receptacles to be sick in and I live in Europe!! Are you sure they were serious? Or if it was Germany are you sure they weren't something instaleld temproarily for the Oktoberfest Beer Festival? You do get some toilets on mainland Europe that are the "hole in the floor" type but they are getting more and more rare these days.

People in Europe aren't sick any more than people from the USA, and tbh the food is pretty similar too.

The water is clean too but sometimes the difference balance of minerals in it can upset your tummy (although this would be the runs rather than being sick) so you'd probably be best sticking to bottled water to be on the safe side.

You might also want to avoid salads for the same reason and stick to cooked foods, although not strictly necessary, it might give you more peace of mind?

Honestly, Europe is just as modern and up to date in matters of food safety as the US

What countries are you planning on visiting?

For one thing, thank you so much for your reply. I want to make it clear also that I never thought Europe was any less "civilized" or "unclean". I know that Europe is a very modern and well-developed place and have tremendous respect for all the countries on the continent. I know there are some different types of foods than what I was used to, and some are prepared differently, but I'm quite assured by this comment and my resolve is bolstered. I will be starting in England, and a trip to Scotland is possible but not absolute, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, and that's the list as of right now. There might be some changes by the time of the actual trip.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfighter View Post
    i also live in the uk and see no difference in food health between here and america? ive never seen a vomiting recepticle i think vomiting is more likely from alcohol in europe as it has more teenage binge drinkers the age for alcohol is younger than the states.

Haha, that was something I had considered too. The teenagers on tours with their families. That is something I might be confronted directly with, as my brothers in their early twenties are reckless and pretty irresponsible, and they've never dried foreign alcohol but are definitely going to overdo it. That's causing me a little stress but I have enough support from the others going with me that I think I'll manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca85 View Post
    I have been to Germany and never seen a 'speciality receptacle'! Though you will be pleased to know public toilets in Germany are sooo clean! They are either self cleaning (a thing comes out the wall and the toilet seat spins round so it gets sanitised) or someone comes in after you've been and disinfects the seat for the next person! You are expected to pay though.

Thank you very much for your comment, that's very interesting about the cleanliness of the toilets. I didn't really expect that because of the general quality of public restrooms here in the states sometimes.. :x That's refreshing to know and I'm interested to see it. I'll just make sure to carry change!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca85 View Post
    They are either self cleaning (a thing comes out the wall and the toilet seat spins round so it gets sanitised)or someone comes in after you've been and disinfects the seat for the next person! You are expected to pay though.
    Do you think I could get one of these for my home?? It's been by husband's turn to clean the bathroom for weeks and it's totally skeeving me out in there but DAMMIT I'VE DONE IT THE PAST THREE TIMES AT LEAST!! I'm going to have to lay down the law... or get a self-cleaning toilet.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Yes, such a receptacle exists and it is called a kotzbecken. You could google that term and see pictures of dozens of them! I think bars have them because bar restrooms tend to be small and crowded and they don't want to tie up their only stalls with people puking and they don't want to have to unclog sink drains. Yuck, I know.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Sterlit; I wouldn't worry about Europe! It's a well developed area with good hygeine standards.

In spite of visiting some areas with deplorable hygine standards - I've never had a problem travelling abroad. It's just basic carefulness that keeps you safe!

Enjoy your travels!

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    Yes, such a receptacle exists and it is called a kotzbecken. You could google that term ......
    I SO had to google that, and I'm still giggling about the descriptions I found! :-)

David

I wouldn't worry too much about Europe. I've been to many European countries and their food is delicious, just don't eat anything that may seem too unusual for you. And bottled water just to keep it safe. Many of these countries are very well developed and just use your judgement. Have fun, and try not to worry too much.

Thank you all for these wonderful and fascinating replies. Your support means a lot to me. I'm certainly going to post back after the trip, too. I'm sure I'll have some interesting stories for you in return.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlit View Post
    Thank you all for these wonderful and fascinating replies. Your support means a lot to me. I'm certainly going to post back after the trip, too. I'm sure I'll have some interesting stories for you in return.
    I know you'll have a really rewarding trip!

I'm currently in China, at the moment. Been 'stuck' here for about 50 days! There's a thread on here about it with link to pictures. Check it out if you haven't yet!

Sincerely,
    David

My boyfriend (who is half German) had never heard of a kotzbecken and also never seen one in a general public toilet, so we think it must be for bars/drinking establishments really. But thinking about it, doesn't it make sense? No worrying about using the toilet or touching the sinks thinking someone may have v'ed in it!

Quote Originally Posted by sterlit View Post
    . I will be starting in England, and a trip to Scotland is possible but not absolute, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, and that's the list as of right now. There might be some changes by the time of the actual trip.
    I'm glad you are thinking more positively about your trip! You wil have a fabulous time, honestly! Well Scotland is foodwise pretty much the same as England tbh, they just have a few national dishes that are different, then France - well that is supposed to be the gastranomic capital of thw world, most of the worlds famous classic chefs are French and the food there is amazing, Germany is a very clean country, I think they eat a lot of sausage lol, Italy - need i say more? Pasta and Pizza! and Switzerland is a bit of a mish mash country - it's bordered by Italy, France and I thin kAustria and Germany too so there will be a wide choice of foods available, its also known as a mega efficient country and the food laws there are probably top notch. I think you have absolutely nothing to worry about food wise, i'm quite envious actually, i'd like to do that trip!

i spent 2 months in europe when I graduated high school. germany, italy, france, holland, england. switzerland, had THE BEST time of my life. I ate all of the food and never ever got sick or saw a sick recepticle. the only odd thing I saw was the hole in ground toilet, which of course the day I had to use that I was wearing overalls....

Quote Originally Posted by ann32 View Post
    i spent 2 months in europe when I graduated high school. germany, italy, france, holland, england. switzerland, had THE BEST time of my life. I ate all of the food and never ever got sick or saw a sick recepticle. the only odd thing I saw was the hole in ground toilet, which of course the day I had to use that I was wearing overalls....

Haha! That's incredible. That overalls thing made me laugh quite a bit. I'm totally pumped for the trip now, totally assured, and even if anything a little weird does come up I bet I'll be able to handle it. The support here about this has been just great. You guys are awesome.