Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Study Volunteers wanted

Quote Originally Posted by geckohouse View Post
    Hi Mel,
    You should get an invitation in the next hour. I live in the part of the world where all the characters from Neighbours and Ramsey Street live. So we sleep when you party.

Cheers Mark
    AWESOME!!! wish i lived down there. im in australia but in nsw. I wish i could make it
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Is this still an ongoing study? I tried to apply and the website links aren't working for me except for the "what is emetophobia?" one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachell View Post
    Is this still an ongoing study? I tried to apply and the website links aren't working for me except for the "what is emetophobia?" one.
    Rachell, the website uses some fairly modern web technology so if you are having problems it is most likely that you are using an old web browser. It will work on a PC, Mac and most smartphones including the iPhone.

Try it on a desktop computer using Safari or Google Chrome or Version 9 of internet explorer.

if you have problems then just email me direct at [email protected] and we can solve the technical issues there.
    Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A free web based treatment for emetophobia

I signed up for this awhile ago, but is the beta testing group a different sign up? If it starts sooner than the other study, I would love to be part of that group! I have a baby due in a couple of months and would love to have the treatment before then!!

Never mind. Found out the answer to my own question. I went ahead and signed up for the earlier beta group.

I would like to join but the 'apply now' section of the website won't work (and I have a new computer and up to date browser).

I am unsure what the problem is as I have checked that it is working. You could change browsers otherwise just simply email me at [email protected] and I will add you in manually.
    Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks Mark! I sent an email!

Part of the EmetStudy research program is to gather some facts and figures (demographics) from the participants. There is so little data out there on emetophobia that this data is just a goldmine of information.
    Although this information will be published in some boring academic journal, an easy to read summary will be sent out to all EmetStudy participants.
    Mark

I just signed up. I am really excited about this. I have been thinking of my phobia a lot (my anxiety/stress levels have been high the past several months due to not having a job and having very little money) which is making my emet phobia really bad. I am working on it, after doing some research last night and joining this forum & now being a part of this study I am feeling a lot better.

Thank you!

ill register for the heck of it but i fail too see how this could be better than sitting down with an actual group or doctor? ive notcied throughout the web this phobia is getting much more reconition than it did years ago. hopefully they can find a suitable method for us sufferers. it really is one of the silliest but horrid fears to have.

Seeing a psychologist / counselor in person is a very good solution. In fact my suggestion would be to see a therapist who knows about cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and emetophobia as your first priority. Face to face therapy can be very supportive and many emetophobics can find the journey hard going.
    My guess is that the decision to hang in therapy is a slightly harder one for internet based therapy. So that is a definite plus for face to face therapy.

Sadly, there are not many therapists who use CBT and know about emetophobia.
    EmetStudy is attempting to provide a highly tailored version of CBT using multimedia and sophisticated data technologies. The program is supervised by one of the world's leaders in emetophobia research. The participants are currently directly supported by a Phd candidate and registered Australian psychologist. Now the EmetStudy program is currently free. Like zero cost, zip, nada and with no hidden catches.
    All up I think that is a pretty good deal.

For some people I suspect it will be a major lifetime opportunity.

Sadly the window of opportunity is quickly closing. The University timeline for the research project means that very shortly I will no longer be looking for volunteers.
    Mark

i got my confirmation email... i look forward to trying this. i have no insurance so a therapist is not an option for me.

Signed up as well... Very interested in seing if it works on different "stages" of emet since mine is at this point not as severe as most others on this site

Great news!
    The first phase of the EmetStudy.org program kicked off this morning. A large number of people have already responded and have completed stage 1.
    The final group of beta testers for December will kick off in about 10 days. It will be interesting to see if people can maintain the treatment over the Christmas period?
    It means that I will be working on Christmas Day too - (but I will taking turkey breaks)

Because of the large numbers of applicants we are gathering some great data and naturally this will be shared with the community on completion of the study.

A research project for family and friends of emetophobics is also just a week or so away.

If you have not signed up to the treatment program then please do so as the main study will be closing very soon.

Cheers Mark
    Mark

How are the participants selected? I got a conformation email a couple of weeks ago but I haven't heard anything else since. I live in a pretty rual area and most therapists around here don't know about emet or practice CBT. I am really looking foward to this because I want and need to recover very badly. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rachell View Post
    How are the participants selected? I got a conformation email a couple of weeks ago but I haven't heard anything else since. I live in a pretty rual area and most therapists around here don't know about emet or practice CBT. I am really looking foward to this because I want and need to recover very badly. Thanks!
    Hi Rachell.
    The participants self select for the main study or the beta program. If you received a confirmation letter then it is likely you selected the beta three group. The beta group are not part of the main study for academic design study reasons. I am sending out an email at the end of the month to the beta December starters so Rachell if you don't see an email by Dec 3 then email me direct at [email protected] and I will fix it up.

Cheers Mark
    Mark

EmetStudy has moved into phase 2. This means that the main research study has closed and a second round of volunteers are being sought. The second group will experience slightly different treatment conditions compared to the main study group. At this stage the second group has not been allocated funding by the University but in all likelihood it will proceed.
    There are no charges for any of the University research programs.

I am afraid that I will need to close off the December Beta group testers.
    Last edited by geckohouse; 11-25-2011 at 10:11 PM.
    Mark

Thankyou so much Mark!

I hope my sessions start next month as planned.

I took part in this study, I can testify and say that the material is pretty generic and common to anything you would find in a standard self-help book regarding phobias.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Talking Re: Study Volunteers wanted

Phew!,
    A huge influx of people into the beta program means that it all beta programs are closed. The beta two program is currently in week 3. The beta three group will be sent an invitation to commence "orientation week" this weekend.

The Study has now moved into phase two.

I would also encourage any potential participants who live in Asia and who can speak English to join the program. It will certainly help us address the issue of whether emetophobia also occurs in significant numbers in non-Western countries.
    Last edited by geckohouse; 11-25-2011 at 10:10 PM.
    Mark

Smile Re: Study Volunteers wanted

Quote Originally Posted by lizzo View Post
    I took part in this study, I can testify and say that the material is pretty generic and common to anything you would find in a standard self-help book regarding phobias.
    I certainly agree that EmetStudy emetophobia treatment program follows a generic cognitive behavioral model.

One of the key difference between self help books and EmetStudy is that EmetStudy provides the support of a qualified psychologist for 12 weeks.

Where possible the program has been tailored to suit the specific features of emetophobia. Many of these will become more evident as participants move through the program.
    Last edited by geckohouse; 11-25-2011 at 10:02 PM.
    Mark

Are there still openings for this study?

The study has not closed. It has just moved into another stage.
    Last edited by geckohouse; 11-25-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    Mark

Gecko, you should know better than to discuss the study with volunteers at all, let alone discuss the study in an online forum where you are recruiting volunteers. You stand to bias the study this way. This could totally invalidate your results.

I would have sent this to you privately but you don't accept private messages.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    Gecko, you should know better than to discuss the study with volunteers at all, let alone discuss the study in an online forum where you are recruiting volunteers. You stand to bias the study this way. This could totally invalidate your results.

I would have sent this to you privately but you don't accept private messages.

Doug
    This is a valid point Doug and I appreciate the advice.
    Cheers Mark
    Mark

i finished the survey, seems sorta generic to me, question and answer type of deal. will the treatment plan get more in depth at all?

I wanna do this! Im in america? I NEED HELP

I am very interested! Just signed up! Looking forward to this
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog: