Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default An emetophobic's NIGHTMARE!!

Hello all, my name is blazinbritt1158 and I have emetophobia. I just wanted to share my story with you all.

I just graduated from college and me and my old roommate were at a party. All of a sudden, she gets a text message that her friend was downstairs in the club in a room known as the "detox" room...and needed her help. I of course go down there with her. Now, I suspected that there would be a bunch of drunk people lounging around acting stupid. I was right, but boy, did I not think fully before I stepped in there.

People ALL over the place v* into large white buckets. Some of them were so drunk that they missed the bucket all together. Some people missed the floor and got it on their clothes. It took my brain about 5 seconds from the time I walked into the room to process what was going on until I immediately walked back out. I told my roommate that I was sorry but I couldn't stay there with her. I waited outside for about 30 minutes while she was in there. I felt like a bad friend, but I really couldn't do it. Worst v* experience as of yet.

But, I'm alive and I overcame it Just wanted to share my story.

PS If you're anywhere with the room called "detox"....I'd advise you don't go in.

Default Re: An emetophobic's NIGHTMARE!!

Hi Britt, and welcome.

When I was 18 and in college, I encountered some puking at a party and was freaked out like you were. After a few parties like this, I realized I didn't have anything to be afraid of because you can't catch anything from drunken vomiting. After that I was usually OK with people puking from being drunk.

Even so, I wouldn't want to be in a situation where people were missing the receptacle. I understand your wanting to get out of there, but it isn't an emetophobic's worst nightmare. For nearly all of us, our worst nightmare is to vomit ourselves, and our next to worst nightmare is to be trapped with contagious vomiting people.

I think once you can get used to the idea that drunk vomiting is different from sick vomiting, you'll have an easier time with drinking situations.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Does it get any worse? What are people thinking? This is gross, emet or not.

Stella

This type of thing is why I don`t drink much alchohol nowadays. If they could inveent some drug that would stop people vting when drunk, then it would be great, & our streets would be a great deal cleaner!

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    Hi Britt, and welcome.

When I was 18 and in college, I encountered some puking at a party and was freaked out like you were. After a few parties like this, I realized I didn't have anything to be afraid of because you can't catch anything from drunken vomiting. After that I was usually OK with people puking from being drunk.

Even so, I wouldn't want to be in a situation where people were missing the receptacle. I understand your wanting to get out of there, but it isn't an emetophobic's worst nightmare. For nearly all of us, our worst nightmare is to vomit ourselves, and our next to worst nightmare is to be trapped with contagious vomiting people.

I think once you can get used to the idea that drunk vomiting is different from sick vomiting, you'll have an easier time with drinking situations.

Doug
    The thing is, I'm a little different. I actually don't care about v* myself. So the whole contagious thing doesn't bother me. My OWN v* does not bother me. (or at least I don't think it does...I haven't done it since I was about 7, I'll be 23 this year)

What bothers me is just the v* itself...from other people, that is. I just think it looks gross. But I take it to another level and feel afraid of it and start to panic. I can't even be in the same spot where it happened, even if it happened weeks ago. The sight, sound, etc literally scares me. If there is a movie or TV show that has v* it in, I have to close my eyes and ears and look away until someone tells me it's over. I know it sounds foolish. And I actually want to be a doctor. Ha, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by blazinbritt1158 View Post
    The thing is, I'm a little different. I actually don't care about v* myself. So the whole contagious thing doesn't bother me. My OWN v* does not bother me. (or at least I don't think it does...I haven't done it since I was about 7, I'll be 23 this year)

What bothers me is just the v* itself...from other people, that is. I just think it looks gross. But I take it to another level and feel afraid of it and start to panic. I can't even be in the same spot where it happened, even if it happened weeks ago. The sight, sound, etc literally scares me. If there is a movie or TV show that has v* it in, I have to close my eyes and ears and look away until someone tells me it's over. I know it sounds foolish. And I actually want to be a doctor. Ha, go figure.

This sounds totally like myself! Im soo terrified of vomit that if I see it on tv, or here that some just threw up or anything of that matter I literally get all naseuosand start to panic and I'll think about it all day even just the thought of it is enough to make me sick to my stomach.

Ew! I consider myself nearly recovered, but I think that would scare the crap out of me.

You may find these links helpful!

i really feel for you guys, my dad had emet when he was younger, my older bro had it bad, i had it bad. It sounds selfish but i'm glad im not alone. i have recovered a lot, i had proffesional help when i was about 10, now it doesnt bother me so much, but it gets triggered if i see someone else puke or genuinely think im going to puke. I just tell myself all the other times i get a panick attack and i never end up actually being ill.

oh man, that is indeed a bad situation!!!

Is it wrong that I'm crying from reading that post?