Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Does garlic make anyone feel sick?

Is it just me or can anyone else not eat garlic? I absolutely love garlic, but for years now I can't eat it. It gives me really bad acid reflux, and then I wake up in the night and feel really really sick, and can taste the garlic, and it won't go away. Even after mints/chewing gum/brushing teeth/mouth wash etc, and it always makes me feel sick. As I said earlier, I love eating it, but for years now I have to always ask for meals without it, which can be a nightmare when going to restaurants and travelling abroad? Is anyone else the same??

Default Re: Does garlic make anyone feel sick?

Well it don't really make me feel sick However it does make my mouth water a ton a few hours after eating it! And i can taste the garlic for hours after Ive eaten and gum and stuff don't help for that like you said! I love garlic And use it on everything! I just use smaller amounts of it and that helps! I have gotten heartburn after eating if there was a bunch of garlic on my food! Maybe if u try smaller amounts just enough to kinda get the taste that will help!

I have to enjoy garlic in moderation. Raw garlic, like in hummus, really gives me bad indigestion. I love it so much, but I just can't. When I make homemade hummus I'll roast the garlic first to tone it down a bit, and not use too much. In cooked food I also have to moderate how much garlic I eat or I will be very uncomfortable! The taste also sticks with me for a long time and it's really not yummy after you eat it.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

I too love garlic, & it`s supposed to be good for the heart & circulation. The only problem that I have with it is people moaning about the smell that I give off after I`ve eaten it.

kb212 Guest

I can't eat raw garlic. Especially garlic slivers. They make me feel awful. But minced garlic in things seems to be fine.

I cant eat it at all. I used to loveee it. But now evertime I eat it I feel sick for hours

yup that's me! I LOVE garlic ....how could I not i'm italian lol, but lately it give me bad acid reflux too and it makes me n* when i have acid reflux so I have just tried not to eat it at dinner. If I do eat it or can't avoid it like at resturants and such I take my Beno (digestive enzymes) and then tums or papaya pills before bed to help combat the reflux before it starts and 9/10 that works well for me.

I knwo that garlic is soooo good for you so that's why I try not to cut it out of my diet all together I just try to eat it early enough like at lunch that it won't bother me or if it does or if I have to eat it at dinner the Beno and tums before bed really make a difference.
    Hope that helps