Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Personality of an emet

I would like to know if all emets have the same personality traits. For instance,(1) there are days that I just can't function. I don't want to get out of bed, get dressed and do anything. I work a full-time job so this is not good for me but I miss a lot of work. I'm not lazy. I'm a single mom and I have a clean house, etc. But there are some days that I just can't do anything. (2) I hardly ever finish a project that I start or it takes me forever to finish it if I even start it. (3) I have alot of aches and pains, it moves around, thought I might have fibromyalgia. (4) I have a hard time focusing on anything. Forget words in mid sentence and can't concentrate long enough to learn anything new (tried to take an online course and it just couldn't sink in. (5) Am usually late for events, parties, weddings, etc. (6) Not real good with a budget. These are just a few things. I was just wondering if anyone else had these traits or do you have any traits you'd like to share.

Default Re: Personality of an emet

this is me 100%...not one thing missing...

1) I have days like that, I always make it to work, but in the holidays if I don't get up and get straight to work, I don't get going at all.
    2) no, once I've started I'll finish, and I never miss a deadline.
    3) I do have a lot of aches and pains, but I also have a genuine medical condition. If I have a pain I spend a lot of time thinking about it.
    4) Depends, I have good days and bad days, I suffer a lot with fatigue due to my medical condition, and when I am tired I'm hopeless!
    5) I am never late if it's down to me, and if someone else makes me late I get very antsy and nervous.
    6) I am great with a budget.

Sounds like we are very different!

That's so strange, I can only relate to the forgetting words thing, and I think that's because my concentration span has always been totally screwed up. I am able to learn things, be places on time and finish a project quickly and efficiently. In fact, I'm quite meticulous with things like that...don't know whether that means emets have a personality or not, or whether one of us breaks the mould.

I can relate to number two. I tend not to finish things.

I was just wondering if maybe people with phobias have the same wiring. I had one psychologist tell me that if I ever got rid of this phobia, I would just replace it with another. That I would always have some kind of phobia. Anyone else ever been told that.

Let me add that on #4 I can learn new things, it's only in a class or online course that I have a hard time with it sinking in. I guess if I have a deadline on learning something and just by reading it once, it doesn't sink in. I think it has to do with the focus thing.

This is not because of Emetophobia, this is because of depression. I've had depression much longer than emetophobia [since I was around ten years old. so ten years! My emetophobia has only been this bad for three or four years] and this is all depression. There is a large chance that the depression you are feeling is because of the anxiety and worry and daily weariness caused by emetophobia however. Talk to a therapist, or talk to a doctor, they'll be able to help. My emetophobia has grown much worse since I went off my depression and anxiety medications, and just a simple antidepressant made my emetophobia a very small problem!

Most people with intense phobias suffer from emotional depression as well, since phobias of that sort are often negatively life altering and the sufferers quality of life is lowered.

Quote Originally Posted by bitsybabe View Post
    I would like to know if all emets have the same personality traits. For instance,(1) there are days that I just can't function. I don't want to get out of bed, get dressed and do anything. I work a full-time job so this is not good for me but I miss a lot of work. I'm not lazy. I'm a single mom and I have a clean house, etc. But there are some days that I just can't do anything. (2) I hardly ever finish a project that I start or it takes me forever to finish it if I even start it. (3) I have alot of aches and pains, it moves around, thought I might have fibromyalgia. (4) I have a hard time focusing on anything. Forget words in mid sentence and can't concentrate long enough to learn anything new (tried to take an online course and it just couldn't sink in. (5) Am usually late for events, parties, weddings, etc. (6) Not real good with a budget. These are just a few things. I was just wondering if anyone else had these traits or do you have any traits you'd like to share.
    I share some of these!

1 - Not really. Lots of energy and I can function whenever I have to function.
    2 - Yes! I have many unfinished projects. Mainly because I need one or another small item I can't get. Then I lose interest.
    3 - Not at all. I am very flexible and resilient.
    4 - Yes! If I am under social stress (I have social anxiety) I can totally lose focus and reach a state where I can barely talk.
    5 - Yes! I am late alot, but I know this is a problem so I plan to leave early. Trouble is then I am sitting in the car 30 minutes before the appointment! Either late or early; never on time!
    6 - Sort of. I don't tend to keep track of budget. Fortunately I don't buy much stuff so it never is a problem. But I am not good at keeping track of budgets.

So that's me!
    David

(1) I had one day like that at the height of my emet, but I haven't felt that way in a long time.
    (2) This is only true for me about doing dishes or cleaning house
    (3) I have to say yes to this today because I have the flu, but normally I don't have these symptoms. I can't say I ever have with emet.
    (4) Sometimes I forget words mind sentence, but it's usually because I'm already thinking about something else and my mouth just doesn't keep up with my brain. Or at least, that's what my mom told me. I think my brain just turns off sometimes :P
    (5) This doesn't apply to me at all.
    (6) Only cuz I don't make as much money as I'd like

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Actually I'm not depressed according to all of the depression symptoms. I don't feel depressed. I am on Zoloft for the anxiety. I may be dissapointed that I can't do everything a normal person can do but not depressed. I don't dwell on it.

We must be long lost twins!

i can totally relate to these although sometimes i just attribute it to being a gemini haha

Hahahaha! I'm a Gemini too!

hahah! that's awesome!
    i do think it's less of an emet thing and more of just a personality thing... maybe a gemini thing

I can relate..
    1. if i can't get going I'm done for! I have to work so unfortunatly I have to really push hard to get out of bed and get to work but I am not a great person once i'm there. I work in retail and I don't sell as well if at all on a bad day, that is partly why I like being part time so that I can have a few extra days off and rest up.
    2. I have lupus so the fatigue is generally due to that as well as achiness (arthritis)
    3. I usually am ok at finishing things but depends
    5. I'm only late on my yuck days! But generally I like to try to be on time.
    6. I can't concentrate on ANYTHING it seems these days as for learning new things I learned my new job pretty quick so I guess that's ok...for now
    7. I was just like that with budgets I was BAD!!! but I am learning to be better and although I've just started since after xmas on my new budget thing I seem to be holding otu pretty good and doing better then ever. I really do like saving money and have always been pretty thrifty but because of my illness I started cutting corners and such and if I had to buy something or buy dinner etc.. I would just do it and worry about money later but I am much better now.

I think emeto's are all different...I think that emeto can affect all kinds of people and it does. But I do believe we all have a common ground in that something somewhere somehow triggered the phobia and from that point on no matter what type of person you are you are afraid.

great topic!

Quote Originally Posted by bitsybabe View Post

1) I HAVE to get out of bed and come to work, there's just no option, i have bills to pay and lots of them, so I can't risk losing my job. No matter how crap I feel I have to come in and I find that after being at work for an hour or so I feel heaps better anyway

2) yes, I have trouble finishing projects, i am really enthusiastic at the beginning then lose interest.

3) No aches and pains

4) I don't have this - but it is a classic anxiety symptom, as the doctor said, it's very hard to do two things at once, so if your brain is occupied worrying about being sick then of course its going to be hard to listen to what people are saying and to take it in.

5) I struggle getting to work on time, it's always a last minute dash at 8.29am!

6) I am diabolical with money, i just can't manage it at all, i wish i got paid weekly.

I`m lucky enough not to be so seriously affected as to have any problems with day to day living. I only have trouble if I come across v, or someone vting.