Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Talking Relaxation is working wonderfully! (LONG)

Okay, so I started a relaxation CD a while ago and I promised an update. Well, here I am for the update!

Things are going wonderfully. I'm more relaxed in general, I'm sleeping better, falling asleep better, and waking up feeling well rested. Like some other people on here, I used to have trouble getting to sleep at night because I was afraid that I would wake up sick in the middle of the night. I would be fine right until I started to climb into bed and then get anxious. Well, no more! I listen to the CD at night and it helps take my mind off of it (and puts me to sleep!).

I am also able to relax when I'm having useless phobia anxiety. You know the kind, "should I eat this?" and "What if someone that I was around was sick and I didn't know it and now I'm infected," and my personal favorite, "My stomach just gurgled, I know I'm sick!!!" I'm able to do the breathing exercises and calm myself down and enjoy meals. Also, since I've been using the CD, these thoughts have not been occurring as frequently as they used to. When the student teacher in the room I work in had a bad stomach bug, I didn't even get upset over it. I just hoped that she felt better before her boyfriend, whom she hadn't seen in months, arrived (she didn't, by the way, and now he's sick). I had maybe one thought of "what if I get it" and realized that it was very unlikely and moved on to the next thought.

I'm not saying that they don't happen, or that I'm cured, far from it, but I am getting better. I am having some anxiety right now. The kid I work with stuck his thumb in my mouth (long story...) and during the V-day party I took a plate of food from his mother and found out AFTERWARDS that both of his brothers are sick with a stomach bug. So yeah, I'm worried that I'm going to get sick. I'm taking airborne (NASTY tasting stuff!) and I got an antiemetic from the health center just in case, and I bugged the doctor with more questions than necessary, but I'm not freaking out like I would have been before.

One big area that has NOT improved is when I have physical symptoms. I apparently have acid reflux (thats why I was at the Dr. office today) and was having a REALLY bad bout of it. Things did not go well, relaxation techniques did not work, distraction did not work, nothing did. I was having acid reflux from eating pretzels. Twice I really freaked. So the relaxation techniques work great for me as long as my symptoms are all anxiety and not actually stomach related. Still, I haven't done the whole relaxation CD (I keep falling asleep!), so I'm going to keep at it!

So I'm getting better! Not 100% better, but better than I have been in a long time.
    http://www.healthjourneys.com/Produc...catid=6&id=360 there is a link to the CD that I am using, if you are interested. They have a link on there to listen to a sample of the guided imagery section.

Default Re: Relaxation is working wonderfully! (LONG)

I'm so glad to hear you are doing better! Relaxation was the first step I used to all but overcome my emet. I am so much better than I was, and it sounds you're on the same track!! Congrats!!!

As for still panicking when you have symptoms, it's totally understandable. Getting news like that from your doctor isn't going to be easy for any emet. Eventually I think you'll be able to use the relaxation to help keep yourself out of panic attacks from those as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.