Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Terrified of eating

My mom has caught the Norovirus recently and is recovering.

Meanwhile, I'm on a huge fast and I've barely eaten anything.

I'm starting to get dizzy, but the fear is keeping be at bay.

What if I experience Norovirus symptoms after eating?

Can anyone help?

Default Re: Terrified of eating

I had this last year when my boyfriend (who lives with me) caught the noro. Try to eat as if you do have the sv* that's what I did. so i ate plain simple foods like rice, toast, bananas ect...I only ate a little bit at a time so that I wouldn't get to full and then feel sick and get nervous.

Have you past the 48hour mark? I know you will be just fine hon. Keep lysoling the bathroom before you use it, keep her eating utensils separte or wash them in very hot water and you will be just fine

Yeah, she vomited on Sunday night and spend Monday in bed.

I'm feeling healthy for now (crossing my fingers) but I just feel so paranoid.

It's like the virus is on every surface and is "stalking" me.

I really want to have some soup right now, but I can't bear the thought of having to throw it up in a few hours.

that is exactly how I felt when my boyfriend had the virus. It was like the virus was everywhere trying to get a hold of me lol, sounds like you've past the stage of catching it, just try to take some precautions like lysoling the bathroom, washing dishes well and keeping a bit of distance, keep your hands clean and you will be just fine.

Have your soup hon, just have even half a cup to start and a few crackers. Put the rest of teh soup away in the fridge and have another lit bit in an hour or two. Then tonight just have some toast or a banana if you feel a bit hungry. Keep eating light and small amounts and you will be ok.

I know this will sound stupid but this is what I talked myself into while my boyfriend was sick. I would eat jus a ltitle bits and really light things like soup, toast, rice etc.. figuring well if i did have to be sick at least there wasn't a whole lot to be sick on and It would be over really fast. Stupid I know but it didn't hurt me to eat light and small for a couple days.

Remember to drink, drink some water and even watered down juice if you can, eat a bit so you don't feel dizzy and you will be fine I promise.

That's very helpful.

I'm probably going to avoid complex carbohydrates like spaghetti for a week, just to make sure.

In the meantime, I'm going to stock up on bananas, soups and crackers.

Thanks again.

You aren't doing your immune system any favors by starving! If you're uncomfortable eating large meals, stick to small things, but do eat something and keep yourself healthy. I know it's my first instinct too to stop eating when I've been "exposed," but I KNOW I always end up feeling worse when I don't eat, which tricks my brain into THINKING I'm sick, which makes me panicky, which makes me feel worse, etc... etc...
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

yes! try to get some vitamins, especially vitamin c to strength that immune system! good luck!

I do that, too. When my brother and mom had it I didn't eat for 3 days.

Try eating light things, like soup broth. I live off it at times like that. You really do need nurishment.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”