Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Oh No! My Child is sick!

Last night my oldest daughter Started to complain that her belly hurt, Well she must have had a sv because she was up most of the night sick! My husband handled most of it because I just couldn't do it( i felt awful cause i should be stronger then this fear) Now she is feeling better and back to her self again! (thank goodness) I'm just in sheer panic what if I'm next or what if someone in the house gets it next! Ive spent the whole day bleaching and spraying Lysol everywhere! Ive washed my hands a million times! I don't no how true it is but i hear that with sv Ur contagious b4 u even no u have it! That makes me panicky! I just have a overwhelming feeling of doom! I'm freaking out i know but i cant help it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Oh No! My Child is sick!

It doesn't mean she's had a virus. She might have eaten something that was bad, or that didn't agree with her, sometimes kids (well... I don't know how old she is) just get sick, it could have been a fever or something. It doesn't mean it was a stomach virus. I think people don't get over those in just a night.

Just make sure you keep yourself clean, wash your hands, make sure your other children are keeping clean as well, and you should be fine

Anyways, I'm really glad she's feeling better.

She is 8 She came home from school and was fine then around 5 she said she felt bad and didn't want to eat then it just got worse from there ! I kept both girls separated from each other and then like i said i spent the whole day bleaching everything and Lysol! thanks for responding I no i sound like a mad women , I just panic and cant help it! I'm trying to keep my mind busy doing stuff so i don't dwell on this and talk myself into getting sick! Thanks again I sure hope Ur right maybe it was not a virus!

You don't sound like a mad woman. You sound like ME! My husband came home from work this morning and told me he was sick IN our truck. I sent him straight to bed and Lysol'd and bleached everything (except for the truck, of course...) When my daughter woke up, I wouldn't let her touch anything. The poor thing has either been sitting in the middle of the floor watching movies, or playing outside. I'm freaking out. I don't want her to touch anything my husband has touched for fear that she will get it! And now that my husband is feeling better I'm watching him like a hawk and disinfecting anything he touches right behind him... I don't know what else to do! Thank GOD we have two bathrooms in the house, though!

omg I know how you must be feeling and I'm so sorry you're going through this. This is exactly why I don't know if I want kids I just don't know if I could handle what you are going through. I have a question though how often does that happen where your kids get sick? How do you handle it? I would hate to not have kids because of this fear. Hopefully I can overcome it before then. I hope you don't get sick and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by vlbecker84 View Post
    omg I know how you must be feeling and I'm so sorry you're going through this. This is exactly why I don't know if I want kids I just don't know if I could handle what you are going through. I have a question though how often does that happen where your kids get sick? How do you handle it? I would hate to not have kids because of this fear. Hopefully I can overcome it before then. I hope you don't get sick and good luck!
    I think how often kids get sick is a kid to kid thing. In my family, there was me, my older brother, and my younger sister. My little sister was the barfer. That kid was CONSTANTLY puking, it seemed. There were years in there where she was not allowed to eat donuts cause they always came back up! I, on the other hand, had a much higher threshold for nausea, and was the least barfy. My brother was more like me than my sister, but I definitely ranked in last for getting sick. (I did have more tonsil infections than anyone else though!)
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

I wasn't an overly barfy kid. I was sick probably... once or twice since I was a baby, and then once last year. I've been lucky!

You're not a mad woman, I just don't like jumping to the conclusion of a stomach virus straight away. Kids get sick for no reason at all, usually because their little bellies can't handle something that they've eaten, or they've eaten something that isn't meant to be eaten. My little cousin is always ill, and it's because she's always eating things she shouldn't. She made a mud pie the other day, and then ate it, she got sick. She ate a jar of play dough, she got sick. She tried the cats food, she got sick. If she's little enough, your daughter probably ate something that didn't agree with her, or had a fever or something.

Hope she's all better now!

You are doing the right thing bleaching and lysoling that will help a lot in keeping the virus from spreading for sure!

Just so you know first of all the noro virus is not contagious until after the puking starts, and the rotavrrus (not sure if I spelt that right probably not lol) is the most common virus in kids and that is contagious before symptoms show up but most adults have built up an immunity to it and have almost no chance in contracting it anyway, and if you do it's always d* no v* as we as adults have had it as kids ourselvs and have a immunity.

So either virus should't be an issue for you catching it. Good for you in keeping the kids apart and for cleaning up throughly so you all should be fine.

take care

As long as you keep your hands clean and away from your face you should be fine!

Quote Originally Posted by vlbecker84 View Post

Let me start off by saying that i was very afraid to have kids I didn't want morning sickness and i didn't think i could handle it when they V! I now have 2 girls and they are the best thing that has ever happened to me! I wouldn't no what to do with out them! Do not let this fear take that away from you! If you want kids have Them! I surprisingly did well when they got sick and i was all by myself and had to clean it up! I didn't want to but your love for them over comes the fear. granted when my husband is home i make him clean it up! I still panic and think I'm gonna catch it and sometimes i do sometimes i don't! The girls got sick about once a year when they were younger now they are 7 and 8 and i keep them on vitamins and teach them good hand washing and to be aware of where they put there hands they don't get sick very often! So If you want children i say go for it ! you will do fine!

thank you jenwoods. i will probably end up having kids someday because i do really want them and hopefully i can handle it as well as you do!

Im 41 years old. I've been an emet for most of my life. I have been married for 20 years come July. I managed to convince my wife that we should not have children. She wanted them and I did to but, with this phobia I suffer from, there is absolutely NO WAY that I could handle having children. I told my doctor all about it and he was really surprised that this phobia was the ONLY reason my wife and I had no kids.

My wife is sick right now with I believe influenza (chills, fever, body aches, cough and no appetite) but thankfully only very mild nausea (thus far). I am feeling very anxious as usual, have had to take xanax and am cruising this site to help ease my fears (it usually does).

Dennis