Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Do you have OCD?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 75.47%
  • No

13 24.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you have OCD?

I do. You?

Default Re: Do you have OCD?

I sometimes worry that I might have left the tv or the electric blanket on when I leave the house, but that`s all.

Well, I suppose I should be more specific.

I have obsessions about illness, mostly stomach illness (for obvious reasons). I have vivid memories that won't leave my head, memories of experiences and sights of v*ing. I wash and sanitize my hands almost thirty times a day and take showers in scalding water (with antibacterial soap, at all times). I wash my hands furiously before I eat, hottest possible water and antibacterial soap (or rub them a couple of times with alcohol-based hand sanitizer). I wash my hands for about five minutes straight after I paint or draw because I'm nervous about graphite poisoning or the toxicity of the paint. I am currently cleaning my room (long overdue for one), and I worry about asthma, dust mite allergies, effects on my lungs, and the possibility of the dust triggering my gag reflex or getting in my eyes.

I also compulsively arrange things, and I have a very strict ordering system. I feel chaotic and uneasy if things aren't arranged properly. I rewrite and redraw a lot because I'm afraid that I might fail a class if I don't get the writing or the drawing perfect. I repeat actions (like putting a glass down or walking up a flight of stairs) if I don't feel if I get them right. I also count to ten or three if I'm feeling generally uneasy, because they are my lucky numbers.

What do some of you do?

I am generally OCD, worse at night, i wash hands a lot even when i tell myself it is pointless.
    I have improved massively though, used to be awful.

I've never been diagnosed with OCD but I feels like I do. One thing for instance, when Im in the car the volume has to be on an even number I dont know why but If someone changes it and leaves it on an odd number I feel like I have to change it. I wont feel at ease until its at an even number. Same thing goes with the volume on the tv as well.

Oh, I'm exactly the same with the radio or TV volume. I also count things obsessively. Even things that are going to fast to count, trees on the road side, lines on the road, floorboards, cracks in the pavement. It's annoying to me and even the people around me.

I dont have OCD but in school there are a few people, one in paticular, that like to make fun of me because of my reaction to illnesses. I never told those people about my emetophobia or even that its only the v* that bothers me, not any other sickness but they have clued in on some of my behaviors and call me "OCD" "Mandell" (after Howie) and say I need to see a "shrink" (not realizing that I've seen one before.)

I haven't told anyone except my parents and my best friend, and my best friend constantly tells me to stop when he sees me washing my hands, offers me a pen when he sees me erasing, and pulls me ahead when he sees me retracing my steps. Also, he's so optimistic that it's impossible to be upset around him. I'm sorry, Drizzle. A lot of people are very misunderstanding.

Yes, they can be but that's why this site is so great! I'm sorry that not even your best friend understands. If you ever need to vent I'm here and I'll understand.

Quote Originally Posted by drizzle418 View Post
    Yes, they can be but that's why this site is so great! I'm sorry that not even your best friend understands. If you ever need to vent I'm here and I'll understand.
    No, no, he does understand. He's helping me resist the compulsions. Even if I wash my hands, the obsessions come back. The compulsions do nothing but provide temporary relief. And they further the belief that the obsessions are true. He's helpful.

I do! I absolutely hate it, its so frustrating that I just want to scream I also find it so embarrassing, I feel bad cuz I can see my mum gets annoyed with me but she doesn't want to show it! I cant help it :'( x
    2010 && 2011 the years I met Gok Wan
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Lets slap Emet in the face. . .

Follow My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Dream View Post
    I do! I absolutely hate it, its so frustrating that I just want to scream I also find it so embarrassing, I feel bad cuz I can see my mum gets annoyed with me but she doesn't want to show it! I cant help it :'( x
    I feel the same, for my mother gets irritated with me as well. Try to tell her that it's beyond your control, and that you really need help.

I do try and I do know she knows that I cant help it! But I just cant help finding it so embarrassing :'( It makes me so frustrated, sometimes I hit the wall x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

I do try and I do know she knows that I cant help it! But I just cant help finding it so embarrassing :'( It makes me so frustrated, sometimes I hit the wall x
    I often feel embarrassed, too. Just remember that it's beyond your control. Cognitive-behavioral therapy helps a LOT. Please do consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamandua View Post
    No, no, he does understand. He's helping me resist the compulsions. Even if I wash my hands, the obsessions come back. The compulsions do nothing but provide temporary relief. And they further the belief that the obsessions are true. He's helpful.
    Thats great! It must be good to know that there is someone close you can lean on. Sorry I misunderstood.

I sometimes get very angry and embarrased, but a few people in my family act similarly, and although i never ask i can tell they are a bit OCD as well, i have had it for years and from my experience i can say that the best way to stop is through sheer will power. Not easy though. I still get panicky when something triggers my emet, but i have suppressed it fairly successfully to the back of my mind.

I used to be really terrible and obsessed that things be even numbered, feeling like something terrible would happen if they weren't, but i found that this is something that can be conquered over time, it takes mental strength though. After all, it is irrational, telling myself that helped a lot.

I think everyone with emetophobia has OCD. I think emetophobia is a form of OCD. We obsess about vomiting and compulsively do whatever we think will keep us from vomiting. What else would you call that kind of thought and behaviour process?

Quote Originally Posted by ButterfliesInHerEyes View Post
    I think everyone with emetophobia has OCD. I think emetophobia is a form of OCD. We obsess about vomiting and compulsively do whatever we think will keep us from vomiting. What else would you call that kind of thought and behaviour process?
    Well, I was emetophobic before my OCD started to manifest, but I only got scared when I actually saw someone in the act of vomiting or came close to doing it myself. When the OCD set on, I began to actually obsess about it.

I don't know much about OCD. I've never talked to my doctor about emet so OCD never came up. Do I get paranoid? Yes but OCD, I dont think so. I do get very anxious about things and need to know every possible detail about things before I go places, sign up for things or follow diretions. I'm supposed to be a brides maid in a very casual, non religious wedding and I am so nervous. I wont be able to do it unless I see the place, know every spot Im going to stand, where I going to walk, etc.
    I also use purell quite a lot and check experation dates on foods but those are just emet behaviors, not related to other things right?

I disagree that emet is a form of OCD! Although I have had emet years before my OCD started, it defianatly wasn't to do with being emet! There really are so many forms of OCD, thats its an endless list!! I have had regular counseling since 2008 due to my mental health problems, including OCD and it was my last mental health nurse who pointed out my emet to me which was amazing because I thought it was just me + she is emet as well! HOW COOL! But she has never said its too do with OCD. My OCD is basically "germ freak" as I see it as well as regular thought processes where I have to say the exact same thing at the exact same time every night! OCD is really frustrating and debilitating to live with! x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

no i have no ocd tendencies that i know of i dont count or anything i wash my hands a lot because i work with acids and chemicals as part of my job but other than that i dont do anything ocd.
    ...The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step

Germany (since 2009) United States (March 11th!)

I was in therapy last summer for GAD, and my whole life I thought I was OCD. It seemed to run in my family. But my therapist told me I merely have OCD tendencies, but he said I don't really have it because even though I perform certain "rituals", I don't do it because I worry something bad will happen if I don't. It's just a habitual thing.

Though sometimes I actually do certain rituals thinking they WILL make certain bad things not happen. So who knows. I've only seen one therapist. Maybe when I go for emetophobia someday I will be told different.

A very very mild case, yep.

My OCD is basically "germ freak" as I see it as well as regular thought processes where I have to say the exact same thing at the exact same time every night! OCD is really frustrating and debilitating to live with! x

Midnight Dream - look up "mysophobia". If you're a "germ freak", this is probably you. I'm a "germ freak" too (and I have OCD, and emet...lucky me, huh?) and mysophobia definitely describes me!

Quote Originally Posted by JRich View Post
    Midnight Dream - look up "mysophobia". If you're a "germ freak", this is probably you. I'm a "germ freak" too (and I have OCD, and emet...lucky me, huh?) and mysophobia definitely describes me!
    Thank You for that I shall certainly have a look at it and tell you what I think once I have done so Hopefully it will shed some light on it more.. Thank You once again! x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

Mine OCD is only focused on handwashing before I eat, other than that I only wash my hands if I feel they are dirty like a normal person would. I'm pretty much only OCD when it comes to being around sick people, cleanly eating habits and food preparation.

No, not really. I'm germaphobic because of norovirus and I keep my kitchen pretty immaculate, but it's more out of aesthetics than OCD.

I don't know for sure if I have OCD. I definately have the even numbered volume thing, both on the radio and the television. I do need everythiing in absolute order too. The shoes at the door have to be perfectly lined up or it makes me crazy! I drive in the same lane to work everyday not matter how slowly its moving! So I guess the answer is yes!

I am OCD but not just with the hygiene handwashing thing, it affects all my life although i have got better, all the cans in my cupboard have to have the labels facing the front, the volume on the stereo or tv cant be an odd number, i am also a perfectionist and that stresses me out a lot as i get really fed up when people around me dont put 100% into what they are doing or i dont do something myself to the best of my ability.