Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: thinking

So, I was sitting here thinking (I know, dangerous lol) Until I found this website I had absolutely NO CLUE that stomach viruses were contacted via the mouth! Why i never made the connection myself, I dont' know. I mean I woudl wash my hands before touching my eyes or nose because I knew I could get a cold that way and assumed the same was true for stomach stuff. I did wash my hands before cooking and after using the restroom or whatever but I never thought or was especially careful w/ my mouth. I rememeber a little over 3 years ago I am assuing it was a bug that had given me diarrhea and I fet so sick that I am pretty sure I nearly got sick and around that time I would go to fast food after work and pick up dinner and start on the fries in the car then when I'd get home I'd wash my hands but UGH. I handled money at work! EWW! And then that had me thinking back in the 4th grade on science project day a girl had some crystal thing, I dont' knwo I think she grew them or soemthing. Anyhow she had OF COURSE used my dest to display from and had mentioned that if one were to eat them it would make you sick. So for that year and the next year (still at that school) and even about 2 years into middle school I REFUSED to touch my food w/my hands while I was at school and then washed VERY well when I got home before touching any food, I think I'd even change clothes but I don't rememebr. Anyhow the last time I got sick (and actually did the deed) was the summer before 4th grade and I was scared of it ever happening again, I guess I was an emet already at that point. It's just weird htat that is probably what kept me from getting the little kiddy germs at that time. Weird. Oh and the reason i woudlnt' touch my food or mouth or whatever at school was because I figured it was still on my desk, then the next year I thought maybe they moved the desks around then in middle school I thought what if they traded between schools (totally irrational I know, maybe I have some OCD or soemthing) anyhow thought I'd share this and I'm not even sure why lol sorry to bore y'all!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Since I started therapy just for this phobia recently, I have been thinking alot about things like this too.

The first emet reaction I remember having was, well, I remember 2 of them and don't know which came first.... I remember visiting my dad for one weekend and coming back to my mom's and my brother had been sick and my mom let him sleep in my bed (and I'm assuming he was sick in there) and I lysolled the heck out of my room and worried for a few days about getting sick. There are 7 years in between my brother and I so I'm thinking I was about 13 or so at that time.

My other emet reaction was in 9th grade I think and this one girl I sat by in class had been gone and came back and had been sick and told people and I quizzed her and quizzed her about how many times she was sick, where, etc. like we emets do. She started to get annoyed with me and that was about the time I remember that I had shame about it and started to wonder if anyone else felt like I did about v*.

Isn't it just "funny" how our minds work though? I mean, you didn't make the connection about your mouth, I've got so many OCD things that I'm convinced help keep me healthy. I wonder where our minds come up with this stuff? Part of this fear is totally about false information and faulty logic. It's so frustrating.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I remember one time in high school, I was on a youth trip with my Church group, (the first part of the trip was a missions trip, anyway) the place where we were staying had a merry-go-round, well, some of the teenage guys decided to get on it and see just how fast they could spin each other. Well, you all know where this is leading, RIGHT?????We load up in the vans to go out for the day, and guess what, one of the vomits, right there in the van, all over it, it was totally gross. Thankfully, I chose to ride in the other van. The last part of the trip was going to the beach for a few days, and I chose to go HOME. I left that very day. Some other ppl from our Church had come up to help for the day and I left with them. I didnt want to be around those stupid acting people anymore. I mean, why do something to yourself that you KNOW is gonna make you vomit ................. I just dont get it.

Yes it is so weird and interesting the way our minds do so much and we dont' even realise it at the time. I felt kinda stupid for posting this so I"m gla dyou guys responded and had similar stories to share. That's why I love this site so much. I'm never a freak here lol. Even when life takes over and I'm not on here I do think of you guys and check in even if I dont' post, I knwo that's kinda off topic but I felt like I was being neglectful for a bit.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Oh, my gosh! I do the same also. I touch a lot of money at
    work, and I'll be driving in my car and forget for a minute, and touch
    my lips, or mouth. Then for the next hour I dwell on what I have
    done. Like it's the end of the world or somthing. Strange
    we worry about the oddest things!! Carrie

he he, i work in a restaurant, i handle both food and money so i wash my hands constantly, more than the hygiene standards recommend. i won a prize from my boss for being so hygiene conscious at work he he, if only more emets were food handlers

I work as a bus driver and i do worry a lot about the people that get on cos when i first started i was always getting colds and coughs and im not a very sicky sorta person normally. I ALWAYS wash my hands as soon as i come off shift but ive seen work colleagues just come into the canteen straight off the bus having handled money etc and start tucking straight into their lunches eeeeewwwwww [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]