Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy IBS help please !!!

Hey, i've been having constant IBS attacks in the last few days, I don't know why.
    What can I do to help it?? It keeps making me feel very N* and losing my apitite which ALSO causes N* so this is killing me... I'm so sore, and am freaking out thinking i'm getting a virus... But I KNOW i'm not... What can I do to help my IBS, PLEASE HELP ME !!!

Default Re: IBS help please !!!

Hey

This is my first post. I have been emetophobic since I was 11 and I have suffered with disabling IBS since I was 14 to the point I was homeschooled for 2 years and am currently not working as I have been going through another bad patch. I am 23 now so its been a very long time for me

I completely sympathise with your situation. I am assuming your stomach is cramping lots and rejecting whatever you are eating and so it makes you not want to eat. That is my main symptom so if you are anything like me I really feel for you as its so horrible to go through.

My advice is to eat through it but just very small quantities of food that is easily absorbed. Nothing too full of fibre as that can irritate the gut. No caffine, sugar or other stimulants. No raw foods either, you need to be gentle and give yourself a break from all the fuss your stomach is kicking up. I'm not saying you wont be in any pain or needing the bathroom but not eating is not the way to go in the long run and I say this with complete empathy.

I generally will go for a chicken broth i make myself with rice noodles, some diced chicken and a stock cube with just a little salt. You need to keep your fluids up and replenish your salt levels as a bad bout of IBS can really leave you feeling weak. If you want something a little sweeter then a bio live yoghurt can help too. Mashed potato is good too. Anything you dont have to work too hard digesting is good.

If you are able to i would recommend even eating just a ginger cookie. Ginger helps the nausea a lot. A glass of pulpless orange juice can be good too, but if you arent eating then i wouldnt recommend as its too acidic for an empty stomach and it can lead to a bit of heartburn.

With regards to the pain I would recommend a hot water bottle. I use these to help the cramps and find them to be the best method of pain relief during a bad patch. Just take good care of yourself, get into bed or lay on the couch, keep warm and hydrated, have some form of heat pack on your stomach and just watch something you enjoy on tv or read a book. Something that makes you happy and can help take your mind off the IBS.

If you need to talk don't hesitate to drop me a message because I go through this nearly every day some weeks and I know how hard it can get. Just make sure you take really good care of yourself.

Default Re: IBS help please !!!

Myinah, thanks for the wonderful suggestions! I have IBS flare-ups, too, and was wondering what I should eat (IF I eat). I hate that other people have to suffer from this, but it's good to know that someone understands. We'll get through it one way or another! By the way, do you take any meds for the IBS? My doctor has only given me Bentyl. Thanks again!

Post Re: IBS help please !!!

Hi GrammarGal

Sorry I haven't responded to you sooner. I hope you are well and apologise if this is a bit of a long post.

If you choose to eat, what you eat is really down to what symptoms you are having. If you are having stomach cramps and d* then I would recommend low fibre foods that will not irritate the intestinal lining. I see a dietician at the hospital as my IBS is very severe at times, and the information I was given is basically if you are having d* dont eat the following:

nuts, seeds (except linseeds), raw veg, skins of fruit and veg (unpeeled apples, peaches etc), fruits with seeds you cant remove (most berries etc) unripened fruit, fruit with pith (oranges etc) wholegrain foods etc.

These are things that potentially can make d* worse during a bad bout, but are fine normally, especially if your IBS is only occassional.

My recommendations would be to eat ripe bananas, some white toast with some scrambled eggs, a little bit of stew or broth to keep the salt levels replenished and give you a bit of protein. I say stew and broths as you get hydration from the stock along with the salt, and any veg and meat in it has general been cooking for at least an hour or so and so already partially broken down for you before it gets to your stomach. Some yoghurt is also good and soothing for the stomach. You want things that dont need your stomach to do too much work digesting basically.

Don't go for overly fatty or processed foods and not too much sugar. Caffine is a total no no. I avoid potato chips, fast foods, anything fried if I'm having a bad bout but my main piece of advice is keep well hydrated with lots of water. No soda or fruit juice unless you are eating as it puts too much acid into the stomach which can exacerbate cramps, bloating, wind, heartburn etc. A little fruit juice is fine if you are eating, but really keep the water going.

I am not saying that these foods wont go through you and will stop the d*, but they can lessen the pain of the cramps and are less likely to irritate the gut. Three other important things to remember during a bad patch of d* is to chew thoroughly and eat slowly, longer than normal if you arent much of a chewer, and to eat little and often.

I would strongly recommend people continue to eat during bouts of IBS and to try and keep your stomach to its usual routine. Obviously if you aren't hungry and suffering give it some time and rest, drink some water etc but its important to eat little and often.

Just as some reassurance regarding a fear of v* I have had IBS severely for 10 years and it has never made me v* and I eat through the bad patches all the time. Sometimes i might feel worse than normal and maybe wait a little longer to eat, but our bodies need food and it can in some cases make it worse if you mess your gut around by starving it.

I'm not currently on any medication for IBS really, as I havent found anything that particularly works for my stomach. I take colofac for stomach cramps an hour before i eat which does help in the short term, but I dont take it every day as I personally find I become resistant. I have also been prescribed fibrogel drink sachets in the past which some people swear by, but I personally dislike.

There are so many treatment options available over the counter and prescribed so if you arent happy with what you have been given talk to your pharmacist or doctor and really make them take you through your options. Its easy for them to dismiss you if you accept what they say as IBS can be seen as nothing to them, but really push them if you arent happy with your treatment because they will often do a bit of a shoddy job without applying a bit of pressure.

You can also look into homeopathic options and discuss these with a member of staff at your local health food store. Some of the recommended supplements are peppermint oil capsules, aloe vera juice/supplements, and probiotic tablets. I take acidophilous tablets during bad patches to ensure I am keeping the level of good bacteria up in my intestines. You may also find treatments like reflexology, accupuncture and hypnotherapy helpful. I have personally found reflexology will give me a week almost totally free from d* which is rare for me

I am on antidepressents and some people are prescribed these for stress related IBS. There are two types of anti depressents, ones for short term use and ones for longer term treatment and when I was younger they put me on amiytriptaline (spelling?) short term to see if this improved my IBS and I did notice an improvement. If you know you are going through a hard time and stress levels are up let your doctor know so they can give you some more options, and maybe look into something like the reflexology to help keep you relaxed etc.

Sorry if its a lot to read, theres just a lot of options to help keep bad patches of IBS to a minimum!

Hope you are well

x