Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question anyone else have this problem?

I have acid reflux and it sometimes contributes to my n*. i've been on nexium for about four months now and it was working great until the last few days. my acid reflux has been pretty bad and i have that lump in my throat (that at first i thought was v* but after my brain kicked in i knew it was just the acid reflux). I was just wondering if anyone else had taken nexium for acid reflux and it had stopped working and if so what they took afterwards. When i first started taking meds for my acid reflux i was told that you have to change the medication a lot because eventually your body gets used to the ingredients in the medication...i figured nexium wouldn't be like that though because its prescription. anyway just wondering if anyone else had that problem. Thanks!

Default Re: anyone else have this problem?

My acid reflux makes me n*ed, too. I take a prescription Zantac (300mg), and it does pretty well. My doc took me off Prilosec, because he said it can inhibit the body's absorption of calcium. This is a problem, because I have a very small frame. But, I know someone who has been taking Nexium for a while, and it is the only thing that works for her. Not even the generic will work. If you're still having acid problems, even with the Nexium, I would go back to my doctor. It can be a serious issue over time. Try some liquid Gaviscon in the meantime. Sometimes it's the only thing that works for me. Good luck!

thanks for the input! i'm going to the dr on friday for my annual physical and i'm going to ask about switching to something different. like i said i remember my pharmacist said sometimes you have to switch them up so maybe i just need to do that. i'm feeling better now and i think some of the problem might be anxiety. i can't wait to go to the therapist (its my first time!) on wednesday! i'm hoping she'll be able to help me. i've never heard of liquid gaviscon. i will have to google it. thanks again!

I use Gaviscon Advance, which works differently to other antacids. Rather than targetting acid production, it sits on top of stomach contents, forming a physical barrier to stop reflux. I am pretty sure because it works differently you can take it in addition to prescription meds- my friend has a hiatus hernia and she takes a prescription med (omeprazole, whatever that is) twice a day, whether she has symptoms or not, and can have Gaviscon Advance if she does have any symptoms.

I get Ranitidine on prescription, it`s called Zantac over the counter, & it works great for heartburn,& keeps it away for 12 hours.