Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Diagnosed?

Default Diagnosed?

I am definately emetophobic. There's no doubt about it, but I've never been diagnosed. I was wondering if more emets have been diagnosed or have kept it to themselves. Also, because I've never been diagnosed does that mean, when people ask, I can't tell them I have emetophobia? Any replies would be great because I need to learn how to explain this problem to others. Thanks!

Default Re: Diagnosed?

i've never been diagnosed either.......i found out what i was feeling my entire life....im 59.....was called emetophobia.....i just told my doctor of over 30 years about it last january.......gave him a print out of the info from this site. he had put me on prozac years ago for my obsessive thoughts and constant feeling sick. i've kept it to myself until just recently when i told my husband and my mother.......and two of my good friends. i just really felt any need for others to know......i guess i've always been worried that people will make fun of me or think i'm crazy .

finding this forum has really calmed my emet down......hope you find some help and comfort here
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

generally, I dont think you get diagnosed with emetophobia, I think you'd get diagnosed with anxiety. Emetophobia is really just a manifestation of anxiety when it comes down to it.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. None of my doctors know about my fear but I think my GP picked up on the fact that I'm a bit of a worry wart. I have been to a therapist before but never mentioned the phobia because I thought I was the only one who had it.

(I didn't know that what I had was called emetophobia until Gabby did that Discovery health show!)